Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Old May 14, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Apparently Hawaii has to ask the FAA for permission to make testing a requirement before departure:

U.S. Rep. Ed Case (D-Hawaii)… asked the Federal Aviation Administration to respond by Wednesday to his request to allow Hawaii to require testing of all intended passengers, including airline crew, prior to boarding direct flights to Hawaii.
More detail in the article.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Apparently Hawaii has to ask the FAA for permission to make testing a requirement before departure:

if they end up getting this approved, I want my test before I get on my first flight (I have to connect). Would really suck to make it half way there to find out one of us had the virus. It would be without symptoms of course, because we would not fly if we felt symptoms.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:22 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ExpatExp

Can you imagine the snowball effects of a crew testing positive? This will get interesting.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:40 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
I don't think an airline would accept a passenger who has just tested positive for COVID. Nor would a hotel, unless it was one especially dedicated for COVID positive quarantine and run by public health people. This was done in China with positive cases. I doubt we'd want to convert the Diamond Head wing at HNL into a field hospital / quarantine center. The "instant testing" as part of the arrival flow raises these issues of what you do with the positive person in front of you, and what do you do with the other people who just got off the flight behind in line for testing or lingering in baggage claim. If you just 14-day quarantine or not based on the existence of a pre-departure test result paper, you then don't have to deal with these issues on the fly at the airport. And you could add the option Vienna also has of post-arrival testing once you're at your quarantine location and early release if you test negative. This does put more onus on the hotels to be enforcers though, which they're likely not super comfortable with.
Unless COVID 19 because ubiquitous with passage of time... We are making decisions with the assumption that we are on the path of completely eradicating COVID 19 (no new infections in any state). History has shown that this won't be possible in such short period of time. I doubt any economy will survive the time required to endure no new cases of COVID.

The Vienna model will be the best method to safe guard the community, and Hawaii has to buy into a State ran program to quarantine all arrivals, and await final test results. Hawaii will do the easier of the two due to constraint in resources, and like what you said, it is much easier to not know, then know that there is a positive infected person. No matter what, the State will need to put the onus and responsibility on the traveler and the State itself, not the business industry, for the ramifications of positive testing.

Food for thought: Only around 3% of Hawaii has been tested so far (40k tests out of 1.4 million people). Shouldn't we know our own populations true positives?
HawaiiSailor likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by wchinchen
Unless COVID 19 because ubiquitous with passage of time... We are making decisions with the assumption that we are on the path of completely eradicating COVID 19 (no new infections in any state).
That ship had sailed. Were talking about eliminating and then keeping COVID out of Hawaii (and Iceland, and New Zealand, and other islands and small countries). Hawaii has kept out rabies, snakes, and In-n-out Burger. With enough technology, leadership, and money applied, its possible.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
That ship had sailed. Were talking about eliminating and then keeping COVID out of Hawaii (and Iceland, and New Zealand, and other islands and small countries). Hawaii has kept out rabies, snakes, and In-n-out Burger. With enough technology, leadership, and money applied, its possible.
This thread has been so depressing and finally a ray of laughter - In-n-Out Burger reference - LOL. THANK YOU!
loomis, Boraxo, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
If Hawaii is trying to keep covid entirely out how does that influence its major source of income, tourism? We are now looking at a 3.5 month period without tourists (assuming most people can't/won't quarantine for 14 days). Will Hawaii just continue that indefinitely? I don't see how that's going to be economically viable.
Boraxo and ksucats like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
If Hawaii is trying to keep covid entirely out how does that influence its major source of income, tourism? We are now looking at a 3.5 month period without tourists (assuming most people can't/won't quarantine for 14 days). Will Hawaii just continue that indefinitely? I don't see how that's going to be economically viable.
I think the Vienna/Iceland model could be started much sooner than that. It could start tomorrow.. bring proof of a negative test thats less than 72 hrs old, and you skip quarantine. Its just a policy, no equipment etc. needed.

Longer term, if this works to keep the islands mostly Covid-free except for small clusters that can be traced and handled, that could be a big plus for Hawaii tourism for as long as Covid remains a global concern.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
proof of a negative test is pointless - it is only good for the moment the sample was taken. After that, all bets are off because the person could be infected an hour later by some asymptomatic person walking around the airport spewing virus all over the place (a la the USS Roosevelt and everywhere else around the planet).

In addition, there are periods when a person has the virus but tests negative. And most of the tests right now have unacceptable rates of both false negatives and false positives (I wonder, what's an acceptable rate of false results?) like the ones in use at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

If I get rejected from travel for a false positive, who is gonna pay for all my expenses - the state of Hawaii? WN? travel Insurance companies? And, as mentioned earlier, what if only one person in the traveling party tests positive? "No, no, no, that's okay honey, you and the kids go on without me...I will be fine hanging out here at SFO until you get back...."
ksucats and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
proof of a negative test is pointless - it is only good for the moment the sample was taken. After that, all bets are off because the person could be infected an hour later by some asymptomatic person walking around the airport spewing virus all over the place (a la the USS Roosevelt and everywhere else around the planet).

In addition, there are periods when a person has the virus but tests negative. And most of the tests right now have unacceptable rates of both false negatives and false positives (I wonder, what's an acceptable rate of false results?) like the ones in use at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

If I get rejected from travel for a false positive, who is gonna pay for all my expenses - the state of Hawaii? WN? travel Insurance companies? And, as mentioned earlier, what if only one person in the traveling party tests positive? "No, no, no, that's okay honey, you and the kids go on without me...I will be fine hanging out here at SFO until you get back...."
Its not perfect but its a risk reduction method that could be tried by itself or in conjunction with other things to find a balance of what works steady state. It also adds some extra friction, complexity, and cost to coming to Hawaii which could help keep the curve of new arrival counts flatter than it may otherwise be. Once Hawaii proves it can handle a certain number of visitors safely, it can then grow back towards a new carrying capacity as the economy improves. Residents, businesses, and lenders will be patient while that grows back as long as its happening vs not.

In terms of whos responsible for your planned travel if you test positive, that would be between you and your travel insurance and travel providers to worry about. If you get a result you think is a false positive 72 hrs before travel, then you still have time to get another test to try to verify that. I dont know why anyone would want to travel by air if they just got a positive result, suspected false or not.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; May 15, 2020 at 11:49 am
Old May 15, 2020, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
All the best to Hawaii....California is just as amazing and less restrictive.

I wont be back there anytime with their quarantine.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
All the best to Hawaii....California is just as amazing and less restrictive.

I wont be back there anytime with their quarantine.
It is too bad what is going to end up with Hawaii. It will take a long time for them to recover from this. But I don't think California seems much better. I will be looking at Florida or South Carolina likely for our beach vacation when we are forced to cancel our July trip to Hawaii.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ajf87
It's pretty shocking at this point, the entitlement and willful ignorance. This is part of the reason why there is simmering tension between native and local Hawaiians and privileged, wealthy mainlanders and foreign tourists who own vacation homes (and thus help contribute to the state's housing crisis). That any property owner considers the beach in front of the beachfront property as their "own" is pretty arrogant and not grounded in reality. The beaches in Hawaii are all public, regardless of how much money you paid for your view.
Years ago I ran on the beach from the Kahala Hotel south, as far as I could before hitting a property that seemed to go out into the water. Anyone know if those parcels were from an earlier time before public beach access was a priority?

Anyway, I was struck by how I didn't see a single person enjoying any of the multimillion dollar mansions. The few people I saw were gardeners. I'm fine with rich people buying whatever properties they want, but I am struck at how wasteful it is that such prime land is seldom enjoyed by anyone. I've seen similar things in San Francisco's Sea Cliff neighborhood.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dhuey
Years ago I ran on the beach from the Kahala Hotel south, as far as I could before hitting a property that seemed to go out into the water. Anyone know if those parcels were from an earlier time before public beach access was a priority?

Anyway, I was struck by how I didn't see a single person enjoying any of the multimillion dollar mansions. The few people I saw were gardeners. I'm fine with rich people buying whatever properties they want, but I am struck at how wasteful it is that such prime land is seldom enjoyed by anyone. I've seen similar things in San Francisco's Sea Cliff neighborhood.
You mean right about here?

Some folks have nice homes on the water.

David
Old May 15, 2020, 2:20 pm

There are a handful of other states/counties that are also quite restrictive right now. The big difference I see with most of them though, is that restrictions on short term vacation rentals are being eased in phased schedules already announced. Timing might change obviously, but at least you know something for reasonable planning purposes, and those states don't have an attitude of 'the tourist as the enemy'. For the most part they are at least trying to give baseline information to visitors on reopening and putting an effort into making restrictions more even handed and palatable.

There's a big difference between deciding to quarantine for two weeks in July in an ocean front house in Maine with a gourmet kitchen, hot tub and 5 acres of wooded property, than in a hotel room in Hawaii. Where the best you can really hope for is ocean view, a balcony, a coffeemaker (maybe, sort of), dominoes delivery, and police state enforcement with your key card or an ankle monitor. Maybe if an oceanfront condo type timeshare unit was available, that was classified differently than a short term rental, with lots of space and a full kitchen. Maybe. But an oceanfront beach house, with your own space, that's a completely different situation. At least it would be a palatable option. But Hawaii isn't even discussing when or if they'll open short term rentals again for vacationers. Some posts on other forums have speculated short term rentals will not be allowed to open on the same schedule for tourists as other non-essential businesses.

American and other airlines aren't going to add flights back until the quarantine is lifted. Not enough folks will fly otherwise. I'm with others on looking a different places.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.