Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I've always thought of myself as apolitical to a fault. But this discussion by Hawaii's senators and governors, disappoints me and affronts me as a citizen of the US on an almost visceral level. To actually discuss and promote letting foreign tourists in to roam around the US State of Hawaii on vacations, while requiring US mainland citizens to stay in a tiny hotel room for two weeks in quarantine they aren't allowed to leave (as a mechanism to dissuade them from coming at all), is a deeply disturbing concept.
Unfortunately US citizens may end up being unwelcome in many parts of the world due to our inability or unwillingness to suppress the virus.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ksucats
The problem with the test requirement after landing is what happens if somebody tests positive. Hotels and vacation rentals aren't going to want them and likely won't offer refunds. Airlines aren't going to want the person back on the plane to go home and also won't offer refunds. I sure wouldn't take any chances of going there with that risk since there are so many positive cases without symptoms.
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
No solution is perfect, but not opening the economy back up in a state so reliant on tourism isn’t an option.
While no solution is perfect, these scenarios will need to be addressed before tourists will feel comfortable coming back. There are many who will not want to deal with the uncertainty of arriving in Hawaii asymptomatic, and finding out a few days later that someone on their flight or someone at their hotel has tested positive. What will the procedure be? Will they need to self isolate in their hotel? For how long? Will they be allowed to fly back to the mainland? If they end up testing positive in the middle of their trip, where will they be allowed to quarantine? What if they do not have the ability to pay for 2 additional weeks in Hawaii?

I understand that no solution will be perfect, but there need to be guidelines in place so that people can make an informed decision whether they should fly to Hawaii for leisure (or business). I cannot wait to return to Kauai for a week of relaxation, but these are the questions we would need to be addressed before returning.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I've now read a few different articles about this and each has a different tidbit of information.

This one states that Japanese tourists would do a 15 minute saliva test at the airport before boarding a plane to come to Hawaii: https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/pr...arantine-free/

This one says that mainland US travelers could be welcomed in on an "expedited" schedule if tested 72 hours before boarding the flight: https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...eyond-june-30/
This is good additional info, thanks. I've found exactly what you're saying --- that every article seems to have a different "tidbit". Appreciate you posting these.

I'd be interested in which news and media sources those from Hawaii consider to be widely respected? (i.e., factual articles, presenting all sides of an issue, without undue bias or slant. You know, good old fashion journalism! LoL. Harder and harder to find.)
JNelson113 likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:42 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
KHON has been and still is a very well-respected source of television news. The Star-Advertiser does, IMO, an average job of newspaper reporting.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:53 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like the 14 day quarantine is being extended beyond June.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...waiis-economy/
Old May 29, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I've now read a few different articles about this and each has a different tidbit of information.
This one says that mainland US travelers could be welcomed in on an "expedited" schedule if tested 72 hours before boarding the flight: https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...eyond-june-30/
Now I know how my dog feels every time I take her to Hawaii....LOL Hey, but she loves it there as much as I do. She goes crazy on the beach and loves the warm weather.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Talking

Originally Posted by nomad420
Now I know how my dog feels every time I take her to Hawaii....LOL Hey, but she loves it there as much as I do. She goes crazy on the beach and loves the warm weather.
I think that a lot of us can now relate to your dog's feelings!
Old May 29, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Other states have restrictions. Hawaii is the only one I know actively proposing to essentially keep Americans out of America, but let the foreign visitors roam about freely.
Yes, but take out that "but", and there are other states that have 14-day quarantines for Americans arriving from out-of-state, including Maine and Vermont:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...s/5256975002/:
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

June 30 no longer the quarantine end date

The governor is now planning to extend the quarantine beyond June 30, but no new "until" date has been announced yet::

Last edited by sdsearch; May 29, 2020 at 2:03 pm Reason: fix typo
Old May 29, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The governor is now panning to extend the quarantine beyond June 30, but no new "until" date has been announced yet::

I don't get it. It has to be frustrating for the locals that rely on tourism for their livelihood. At least they should come out with a plan so people know what to prepare for.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

perhaps i missed it - are HI residents visiting mainland subject to 14d thing?
Old May 29, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by azepine00
Yes, but it is different. They are required to quarantine for 14 days, but not required to do it at a hotel. They can do it at their own home and if they live with people who didn't travel out of state, those people aren't required to quarantine even though they may be in close and frequent contact with somebody who is required to quarantine.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Yes, when they return to Hawaii.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:22 pm

Quarantine light, similar to the mainland. Hawaii residents can fly stateside, vacation and visit family wherever they like, fly back, and quarantine in their own homes in Hawaii. Their car is not confiscated. They are not bolted inside their home from the outside. The other members in their household are not subject to quarantine restrictions when the traveler returns.

Night and day difference with what travelers from the mainland have to comply with. Hawaii is requiring US citizens from the mainland to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel room from an approved accommodation list of hotels, with a one-way, one-use access card. If you leave the room, you can't get back in. When you request to get back in, the hotel calls the police to report you've violated quarantine. Can't leave your room, outside food delivery only to your door, no access to amenities, literally cannot leave your room for two weeks, if the hotel cooperates with the state's requested one time access policy. If you have a balcony or lanai, you can sit on it. Well, maybe. There's been reports of certain hotels having problems with that also. US travelers from the mainland are prohibited from staying in a VRBO to quarantine and prohibited from renting a car until quarantine is completed.

I'm not advocating anyone break quarantine. Of course not. But supposedly quarantine is based on a reasonable belief you've possibly come into contact with the virus. OK. So Hawaii residents are allowed to leave, go to any Covid infested city they like, stay at the Grand Canyon, whatever - and come home to their household with no restrictions. They have to call every day and are subject to a possible home visit. They retain their car keys. They aren't locked in their houses. They can enjoy their yards. For all practical purposes, they can de facto go and do pretty much anything "essential", just as in the mainland, and aren't going to bothered. Their spouses and kids can come and go as much as they'd like, even though theoretically they are potentially just as exposed and infected as a traveler from the mainland.

What possible scientific or medical rational is there for this inequity in civil and constitutional rights? A resident back FROM a non-essential trip to the mainland gets, well, basically nothing, except mostly camping out at their house for two weeks and keeping a low profile if they leave, and US citizen traveling to Hawaii - also FROM the mainland - gets a one room hotel room jail cell. How can they even pretend this is even about containing the virus?

The inequity is particularly galling since these new reports of Hawaii trying to broker deals to admit "desirable" tourists from Japan, New Zealand, and Australia, and not require quarantine. While thousands of US families are in limbo about their pwn planned vacations, yet to receive refunds, etc.

Look, I don't want people from Hawaii to be subject to staying in a government mandated accommodation when they return. I don't want them to suffer through that. What would be nice however is if the Hawaii state government were not stirring up and feeding off the general contempt the Hawaii populace already seems to have for mainland tourists, to make it seem like they're doing something. And because it's an easy target the populace will accept.
JNelson113, ksucats and sakaike like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, but take out that "but", and there are other states that have 14-day quarantines for Americans arriving from out-of-state, including Maine and Vermont:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...s/5256975002/:
Not exactly. The palatable alternative of a VRBO type accommodation to quarantine, or stay-cation, is an available alternative in Maine, Vermont, and several other places. Many folks visiting these places rent oceanfront, lakefront, mountain or wooded cottages and cabins. Huge difference. A high percentage of visitors might decide they can live with having their property pre-stocked, stay on the property, sit on the porch, go in the water, etc., fairly easily without coming into contact with other people. And still have an enjoyable vacation. Maybe not the one they wanted, but acceptable under extraordinary circumstances. Especially if their vacations aren't being refunded.

Hawaii has specifically prohibited VRBO/AB&B/HA from renting to mainland visitors. A family stays in one hotel room or hotel rooms with adjoining doors. They aren't allowed out of the room or to use resort amenities (if they are open). They are purposefully telling visitors they are not wanted. Big, big, difference.

But hey -- let's talk about letting those "desirable" tourists in from foreign countries, while folks from our country are still trying to get refunds, and the governor won't even give the courtesy of a real plan to date, so their summer plans stay in limbo.
JNelson113, ksucats and bpe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.