Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Found out about this last night while working BOS-OAK. When we arrived in OAK the hotel van driver asked if we would wait for the KOA-OAK flight. We rode back to the hotel with the Aloha crew. A couple where trying to figure out what they where going to do now. We talked with them and took pictures. They are a wonderful bunch of people and I wish them the best, sad sad day.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SDCA
Thank you Aloha for taking good care of us. I was on flight 485 from Lihue,HI to San Diego tonight(Sunday 3/30).

I will miss the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and milk....and all of your smiling faces.

MAHALO!!!
Yeah, me too. That's why AQ is being gone forever. What's exactly they will gonna do for searching which specific good airlines will be there in Hawaii? Do they think will moved up more frequencies flight from HNL-USA mainland? Perhaps, WN will be coming to Hawaii. They will take care of it from AQ. I would assumed if WN will have announcements begin new service to Hawaii. I'm ensure if WN will have chance for training with overwater ETOPS restrictions. They need to get own liferafts and lifevest, too.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
This is very nice of HA, and they are doing some other helpful things, too, such as offering free standby travel. Too bad they're not honoring AQ FF miles. (That would be expecting way too much, I'm sure.) I know a guy who has over 200,000 AQ miles, mainly thanks to credit card charges. He is quite upset, but unless somebody very generous buys the name and/or remnants of the PAX business and resurrects it, the FF holders appear out of luck. Has anyone been successful in getting anything today for miles?
We've been trying but can't get through on the phones and web site is down.

Hate to lose our miles but that's nothing compared to those out of work
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
It's all very sad. News was slow to get to QWU....

This is very nice of HA, and they are doing some other helpful things, too, such as offering free standby travel. Too bad they're not honoring AQ FF miles. (That would be expecting way too much, I'm sure.) I know a guy who has over 200,000 AQ miles, mainly thanks to credit card charges. He is quite upset, but unless somebody very generous buys the name and/or remnants of the PAX business and resurrects it, the FF holders appear out of luck. Has anyone been successful in getting anything today for miles?
A coworker has over 300,000, and it's from BIS. I told him 6 months ago to start using those miles.... Ouch....

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, me too. That's why AQ is being gone forever. What's exactly they will gonna do for searching which specific good airlines will be there in Hawaii? Do they think will moved up more frequencies flight from HNL-USA mainland? Perhaps, WN will be coming to Hawaii. They will take care of it from AQ. I would assumed if WN will have announcements begin new service to Hawaii. I'm ensure if WN will have chance for training with overwater ETOPS restrictions. They need to get own liferafts and lifevest, too.
That's the last thing we need, let's not speculate that WN will come out here. Ugh.

While I am deeply saddened by AQ's passenger service demise, I really hope that this gives WP a chance at things again. AQ was niche-y on their transpacs, and WP is kind of niche-y in the i/i market. Too bad they don't have any extra aircraft anymore. I wonder how many strings they'd have to pull to get a couple Q400's back(or accquired by another means) ASAP. Come on interisland steve!! Pull something off!

I think the best fit to replace the profitable routes is AS. I'm not a fan, but I suspect they will give this a hard look.

Last edited by Ripper3785; Mar 31, 2008 at 3:08 pm
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by N830MH
Perhaps, WN will be coming to Hawaii.
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
That's the last thing we need, let's not speculate that WN will come out here. Ugh.
WN already has an agreement with TZ to handle flights from the mainland to Hawaii, and there has been noise about TZ possibly cutting back on those because of fuel costs. As far as interisland, N830MH pointed out the things WN would have to do differently (lifejackets and all that), and WN has shown no interest in flying anywhere that requires modifications to its business model (no flights to Canada or Mexico, for example). So I don't really see WN (or anyone) entirely filling the gap left by AQ in the immediate future. HA and YV have both announced they'll add flights, which will replace about 60% of the seats AQ had provided.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Has anyone been successful in getting anything today for miles?
See the first post. Unfortunately, AQ will only honor bookings if you fly today. The incredible number of miles lost (generally speaking), is incredibly sad as well.

On the whole, the market wasn't meant for 3 inter-island airlines, so another airline coming in might not happen if HA/YV make up 60% of what was lost by AQ's exit.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
For those flying WP in the next few weeks:
Originally Posted by www.islandair.com
Q. How is Island Air affected by Aloha Airlines' closing?
A. If you are departing on an Island Air flight out of Kahului (Maui), Kona, Hilo, or Lihue, please check in at Hawaiian Airlines' ticket counters. Because of anticipated crowds at Hawaiian Airlines, please check in at least 90 minutes prior to departure. Or, to save time, use our new, updated web check-in (on the left side of this screen). If you are flying in to Kahului (Maui), Kona, Hilo, or Lihue, please pick up your bags at the Hawaiian Airlines baggage claim.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
Gosh, I remember that terminal so vividly. We were an Aloha family too...
We were too. Thanks for the link to the video, it really does remind me of all the wonderful Aloha employees over the years from my first trip to Maui with my grandma (back when she used to drive), through high school trips for competitions and such that I can barely recall, going to Kauai with my dad to see where he grew up, bringing the new GF home to meet the family and see the islands, along with various and sundry other family trips in between.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: Continental, UA
UA Mileage to fly on Aloha

I had a confirmation on Aloha flights for June and July using UA Mileage Plus miles. I called UA this morning and was able to book with Hawaiian pending 12 hour wait to confirm. My confirmation now shows zero detail. The Indian call center agents are telling me various things. One agent told me to call Hawaiian, who said they don't have us booked on those flights. Another told me UA doesn't have partnership with Hawaiian and I should cancel everything to get my booking fees and miles credited. The Hawaiian fares I am supposed to be on have risen since this morning.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DanTravels
WN already has an agreement with TZ to handle flights from the mainland to Hawaii, and there has been noise about TZ possibly cutting back on those because of fuel costs. As far as interisland, N830MH pointed out the things WN would have to do differently (lifejackets and all that), and WN has shown no interest in flying anywhere that requires modifications to its business model (no flights to Canada or Mexico, for example). So I don't really see WN (or anyone) entirely filling the gap left by AQ in the immediate future. HA and YV have both announced they'll add flights, which will replace about 60% of the seats AQ had provided.
Yes, that's correct! TZ has flies nonstop from LAX/OAK/LAS/PHX-Hawaii flights. I knew TZ is currently still flies nonstop from OAK-LIH/OGG/KOA/ITO/HNL and more along others destination cities from LAS/PHX/LAX-HNL/OGG, too. Hopefully if TZ will have been discontinuation service due to fuel costly. I'm sure WN need stepped up more new routes to Hawaii flight. Let's speculations begin for which specific airlines will take you there to Hawaii.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Reading some of the comments left by online readers of the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin, let's just say AQ isn't getting much love. Unfortunately I think those same people on those boards who are standing up for go! and their fares and blasting AQ will be the first ones to moan and groan once fares return to more rational levels and go!'s service becomes a mirror of their mainland ops. They're probably not as informed as we are on the matter, either that or they purposely neglect Mesa's tactics so as long as they can save a few bucks on the next ticket.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding possible fare increases, a lot of us mainlanders have been using UA's 5000 mile Aloha reward for interisland flights (particularly those between neighboring islands where the fares have remained relatively high during the recent fare wars). That award is still available on Island Air, so it's worth considering -- especially if fares rise.

As far as what the fares should be, I'd be surprised if the lowest buckets get much above $49. Sure, fuel is expensive, but we're talking VERY short flights here. I'd bet WN would have plenty of $35 fares -- and make money -- if they operated in Hawaii.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Deeply saddened by the loss of Aloha...

But as somone travelling LIH-HNL on April 1st, I am _very_ glad I chose HA for this flight.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by asu-ua772
I think those same people on those boards who are standing up for go! and their fares and blasting AQ will be the first ones to moan and groan once fares return to more rational levels and go!'s service becomes a mirror of their mainland ops.
Honestly, I have nothing nice to say about AQ interisland. But I can't fathom defending YV, let alone in the same breath as blasting AQ. Yeah, those folks are going to love it when YV fares go up.

Originally Posted by iahphx
Regarding possible fare increases, a lot of us mainlanders have been using UA's 5000 mile Aloha reward for interisland flights (particularly those between neighboring islands where the fares have remained relatively high during the recent fare wars). That award is still available on Island Air, so it's worth considering -- especially if fares rise.
I'm glad to hear the award is still available - I've been meaning to do some twin-prop island-hopping, camera in hand (and pointing out the window) on a day off, to burn some UA miles I've had sitting around. When Island Air split off from AQ, I wasn't sure if that offer was going to continue.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Honestly, I have nothing nice to say about AQ interisland. But I can't fathom defending YV, let alone in the same breath as blasting AQ. Yeah, those folks are going to love it when YV fares go up.
I understand your point. It's like picking the lesser of two evils, per se.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.