Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:36 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
It's a sad day...

My Step-Mother has been a flight attendant for AQ for 35 years. It's the only job she has ever had. It appears they won't be getting their March paychecks either. It's a sad day in the Islands.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Wow, so much for HA joining skyteam.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DanTravels

What did I miss out on, that I'll now never have the chance to experience?
Direct service from a user-friendly, not to mention close to my home, airport (SNA vs. LAX).

Eight AM departure from CA, noon arrival in Maui. No change of planes. Most every airline required a change of planes in HNL.

Very friendly FA's.

Meal service that kicks the legacy carriers butt from here to wherever. FC meals on AQ's transpac service were three or four course events spread out over a couple hours. Top quality food served on real china.

DL, as a contrast, (and as a 6 million-miler on DL I have flown them more than a few times to Hawaii), left LAX at 5 PM, arrived OGG at 9 PM, first day in paradise shot to hell. FC meal service, all plastic-ware, was a corn pizza flung at your seat 20 minutes after departure.

And I forgot the biggie.

AQ would have a direct flight back to the mainland from OGG at noon each day. DL only offered a red-eye leaving at 11:45 at night, thirteen hours after you had to vacate your Maui hotel.

Other than those few differences, AQ was pretty much the same as everybody else.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Pacific Business News is reporting that AQ was in last-minute negotiations with HA, yes, HA, to buy the airline, but the deal broke down over money.

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...html?ana=yfcpc

Originally Posted by Pacific Business News
A person familiar with the negotiations told Pacific Business News that a deal with Hawaiian was seen as a "last resort" by Aloha executives, who have been trying to find a buyer for the debt-ridden airline since it declared bankruptcy on March 20.

Under the deal, Hawaiian would have acquired Aloha and kept the smaller airline operating interisland and possibly on some Mainland routes and would have continued the Aloha brand for at least several years.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
The open jaw redemptions were something unique.

Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Well this sucks quite a bit. I can't imagine interisland prices not going up. Also, redemption of miles with HA connections will probably be tougher.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by skchin
Wow, so much for HA joining skyteam.
Was that in the works?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain
Well, I'm going to have to call Orbitz again. I've got a trip to LIH scheduled for next Sunday (4/6). HA 25 from PDX to HNL and AQ 71 on to LIH, returning on the 12th. All the idiots at Orbitz could recommend is cancel the entire itineray and get my money back. Fat chance. I'm still going on the 6th. Guess I'll have to call them again and find out what the AQ portion of the whole fare was.

Oh, and the United flights that I could have taken in place of AQ are full. Surprise, surprise.

Sorry, all, but I booked the HNL - LIH - HNL legs on Go!. Got to salvage the vacation. And re-scheduling is not an option. $280 for two people rt.

I'm Premier Exective on United. Remind me again why I didn't just burn miles last October when I booked this trip?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Thank you all

Thanks to the info I found here, we bought Hawaiian tickets for our family of 6 HNL-LIH for May. The Aloha tickets were $49 each way; the ones on Hawaiian were $79 HNL-LIH and $59 LIH-HNL. I presume we will get a refund from out credit card company, so I think all things considered we will we have done pretty well. I am sure the prices will only go up.

Flyertalk rocks!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (lifetime), Bonvoy Titanium, United Gold
Code share runaround

I have a reservation on Aloha around Thanksgiving time from the mainland to Maui, connecting in the islands both ways. The mainland flights are code-share flights on United planes.

According to Aloha's FAQ on their web site, the code-share flights on United would still be honored. But when I called United to confirm that, and to ask what my options were regarding the interisland flights, United told me that since the ticket was on Aloha stock, they couldn't do anything with the interisland flights and weren't sure if the United portions (with AQ flight numbers) would be honored. They told me I needed to cancel the original reservation and rebook.

Seems like classic finger-pointing by both sides, with no real way to verify what's correct (Aloha isn't answering their phones, or maybe the lines are just jammed.) So I'm disputing the charge with my credit card company and will rebook.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I've never flown either of the Hawaiian airlines to or from the mainland, but fly inter-island quite often. I would only fly AQ if the cheap flights were gone on HA (nor could I imagine why anyone else would - other than UAMP). I'm sorry for all the jobs lost, but my concern now will be prices. I just bought a HNL-LIH-HNL ticket on HA for May a couple of days ago. I wonder what the going rate will be after things settle down.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Although I only flew AQ twice, both times on ancient 737-200s, I am sorry to see AQ go. I can't imagine their departure will bode well for inexpensive inter-island fares.

It is also disconcerting to see the "you have two days to redeem your frequent flier miles or else" announcement, even though I am not personally impacted. How badly have our resident Hawaiians been affected? Or did you guys see the writing on the wall and liquidate your mileage balances long before today's announcement?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Sad to see them go. Their OAK-LAS and former SNA-LAS flights kept some key mainland fares in check. The 737-200s were also an interesting piece. It made flying NWA seem like traveling on a modern aircraft.

Originally Posted by daviator
I have a reservation on Aloha around Thanksgiving time from the mainland to Maui, connecting in the islands both ways. The mainland flights are code-share flights on United planes.

<snip>

Seems like classic finger-pointing by both sides, with no real way to verify what's correct (Aloha isn't answering their phones, or maybe the lines are just jammed.) So I'm disputing the charge with my credit card company and will rebook.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, daviator!! Glad to have you here albeit in stressful times. As for United, you were probably speaking to their often incompetent Indian call center which you can learn all about in the United forum. Per the United website, your flights from the mainland aboard UA will be fine. Your interisland flights are canceled. Thankfully, you have plenty of time to work a viable solution with United or antother airline for the interisland flights.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 31, 2008 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:30 pm

I've never flown this airline before (not on the West Coast often enough) but I was just reading this on cnn.com.

It is indeed a sad day when a relatively established airline shuts down.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:46 pm

AQ also had fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, mai tais, and extremely friendly service (in comparison to experiences on other carriers). Their last minute/specials pricing was amazing.

Originally Posted by Cholula
Direct service from a user-friendly, not to mention close to my home, airport (SNA vs. LAX).

Eight AM departure from CA, noon arrival in Maui. No change of planes. Most every airline required a change of planes in HNL.

Very friendly FA's.

Meal service that kicks the legacy carriers butt from here to wherever. FC meals on AQ's transpac service were three or four course events spread out over a couple hours. Top quality food served on real china.

DL, as a contrast, (and as a 6 million-miler on DL I have flown them more than a few times to Hawaii), left LAX at 5 PM, arrived OGG at 9 PM, first day in paradise shot to hell. FC meal service, all plastic-ware, was a corn pizza flung at your seat 20 minutes after departure.

And I forgot the biggie.

AQ would have a direct flight back to the mainland from OGG at noon each day. DL only offered a red-eye leaving at 11:45 at night, thirteen hours after you had to vacate your Maui hotel.

Other than those few differences, AQ was pretty much the same as everybody else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.