Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Hawaiian now has a special message for Aloha Flyers:

http://www.hawaiianair.com/Aboutus/P...ssistance.aspx

We know the shutdown of Aloha Airlines is causing passenger
inconveniences and disruptions to travel plans.

To help minimize the impact, Hawaiian Airlines is making special
arrangements to accommodate passengers holding Aloha tickets:

If you purchased your Aloha Airlines ticket from another airline or a travel agency:

* Please call your Travel Agent or the other airline and they will help you rebook on Hawaiian.

* If you used a credit card, contact the customer service number on the back of the card for a refund request.

For a confirmed reservation on Hawaiian Airlines, available at standard fares:

* You may click here to purchase a new ticket on Hawaiian.

* For confirmed travel, we recommend a confirmed reservation on Hawaiian Airlines as soon as possible.

* We've added capacity on key routes to help meet travel demands.

* All inter-island seats will be at $49 a ticket through Monday, April 7, 2008.

* If you used a credit card for your original Aloha ticket purchase, contact the customer service number on the back of the card for a refund request.

For standby travel on Hawaiian Airlines, available space permitting and free of charge:

* Hawaiian Airlines will permit no-charge, standby, space available, day-of- original travel for some flights on Monday, March 31 and all flights on April 1, 2, and 3, 2008.

* For Aloha Airlines ticketed travel on Monday, March 31, 2008, Hawaii to U.S. Mainland only travel will be available on a standby basis on Hawaiian Airlines.

* For interisland and U.S. Mainland Aloha Airlines ticketed travel on Tuesday, April 1 through Thursday, April 3, 2008, all ticket holders have the option to stand by on Hawaiian Airlines flights.

* If you were scheduled to depart on the eligible dates listed above, you may go to the airport only on your original day of departure.

* Customers will be accommodated on a first come, first served basis based on available seats 15 minutes prior to each scheduled departure.

* Please assist us by bringing your Aloha Airlines paper ticket or electronic ticket confirmation to the airport on your ticketed day of departure.

* Standby, space available travel for interisland and Mainland cities applies only for the date of original travel. It is offered one trip at a time, no round trip considerations.

* Passengers may check baggage on a standby, space available basis.

* Unfortunately, Hawaiian Airlines cannot guarantee that you will be able to find an open seat within a reasonable period of time due to high passenger volumes. Please keep this in mind when considering the standby option.

Our goal is to accommodate as many affected travelers as possible.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by slippahs
* We've added capacity on key routes to help meet travel demands.
Just checked again, and no new flights showing up between HNL and ITO yet. Presumably they've just not loaded them yet, since this is all happening very rapidly (with up-to-the-minute team coverage by our FT reporters!)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you go to the Honolulu Advertiser website's story on AQ's shutdown, you see this post:
Originally Posted by ahpau
My wife just lost her job as of today (3-30-08). Thank you Aloha Airlines for giving my wife the opportunity to work for an airline that has been in business for 61 years. It is unfortunate that this had to come to the light of things, but i'm sure that one day you'll be flying the hawaiian skies again in the future as a new company/airline... Thank You!
I'm guessing there will be a lot more similar stories...
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
It takes a while to add flights, especially in the volumes Hawaiian needs. They're probably assessing their aircraft availability situation right now. And then it takes a while to get them into SABRE. It's tedious
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing there will be a lot more similar stories...
Yeah. Wikipedia says 3,482 (as of last summer). And I seem to recall hearing that one of the NW staff I knew at HNL just recently got cut and went over to AQ, too!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Yeah. Wikipedia says 3,482 (as of last summer). And I seem to recall hearing that one of the NW staff I knew at HNL just recently got cut and went over to AQ, too!
Another story on the Advertiser website:
my mom is an Aloha Airlines flight attendant, or was, because this morning we found out that she had lost her job. since all she has ever done was work for Aloha since she was first hired at age 21, she doesnt know what she is going to do now. and the reason im on the computer now is to help search for a new home since without her job, we can no longer afford our house. and thats sad to say because neither my brothers or i have never known anouther home than this one.
www.dontflygo.com
May be too little, too late, but: http://savealoha.org/
Pictures from Aloha's rallies: http://www.pbase.com/aqohana/save_aloha
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
go! for allegedly using proprietary information. Read more about it here:
http://www.alohaairlines.com/about/p...ode=show&ak=27
Based upon the Aloha statements looks like Mesa was sucessful. Wonder if it will ever go to trial now?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by loboclone
Based upon the Aloha statements looks like Mesa was sucessful. Wonder if it will ever go to trial now?
Hawaiian's trial was the first up against go!/Mesa. They were successful at the US District Court level winning a $90M verdict but go!/Mesa was appealing that judgment.

Seems like a slam dunk case now, should AQ or its creditors push forward with its lawsuit.

I have a feeling go! will be toast soon.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by loboclone
Sadly, the potential (more likely probable) judgement against Mesa is one of AQ's biggest assets. I am sure the creditors will pursue it, and I hope they win. As I have said before, I think AQ has made some serious management mistakes and offered a less attractive service than HA, but I HATE to see them go out this way. Don't fly go!! They are sheisters.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Hawaiian's trial was the first up against go!/Mesa. They were successful at the US District Court level winning a $90M verdict but go!/Mesa was appealing that judgment.

Seems like a slam dunk case now, should AQ or its creditors push forward with its lawsuit.

This explains the Chapter 11 filing vs Chapter 7. Win a huge judgement, sell Mesa assets due to them "being toast" and maybe operate again.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't be surprised. In the old thread, I postulated that go! might kill AQ and in turn promptly be destroyed by HA, leaving HA as the "last man standing."

I can see a couple ways this could happen.

First, the courts. If they uphold the $80M judgement in favor of HA, and then AQ's now-slamdunk case comes through too, it may just not be worth it for go! to stay.

Second, the market. AQ was the weakest in the herd. Financially shaky, old jets with horrible fuel costs, limited number of partnerships, weak long-haul operations. Nothing strong but the cargo, which will live on. Of course if you're a predator, you go after the weakest in the herd.

But... now what? go! is left going head-to-head with HA. Where's the value proposition here? go! has 7 50-seat jets. HA has 11 123-seat ones. With first class, even. And real overhead bins. And mainline-size cabins. And service to the mainland. And partnerships with AA, CO, NW and maybe now DL (and with AQ gone, maybe UA will try to partner with HA too). And a strong FF program with credit cards and tons of non-air partners in the islands. Oh, and did I mention HA's 717s are actually newer than the go! CRJs?

Congratulations go! and JO. You are now the weakest link.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Congratulations go! and JO. You are now the weakest link.
Your analysis is spot on.

If HA has the financial ability, purchasing more 717s and taking over the more profitable AQ trans-pac routes can reap gains and further accelerate the death of go!

(And with DL partnering with HA earlier this month, UA will need to choose between HA and go!... wonder which one they'll choose? ).

If I had listened to cblaisd maybe I'd have that interisland ticket I wanted to book on WP using my AQ miles. On the phone with AlohaPass right now, but I don't think I'll ever get through.
I've been on hold with AlohaPass for about an hour now (didn't realize it because of the Hawaiian elevator music they play). I think this is an indefinite hold...

Edit: Finally got through. You cannot use your AlohaPass miles to book any travel on a partner airline unless you're willing to travel today or tomorrow. So I guess one can officially kiss those AQ miles goodbye.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 30, 2008 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:28 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

The Aloha Airlines employment page is still up and running.

http://www.alohaairlines.com/about/employment.php

...so is a very informative history of Aloha page:

http://www.alohaairlines.com/about/our_history.php

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 30, 2008 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:43 pm

I just called AMEX I have a ticket on AQ OGG-SNA june 14 and ORD-HNL code share on UA sep 30. They are working on it and will call me back.
Wonderful......
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Job losses not as bad as feared

Driving to work just now I heard on Hawaii Public Radio that "approximately 1,800" employees will be impacted by the cessation of passenger service. I don't know whether AQ even had the full 3,482 any more, but this sounds sensible, figuring that as cargo operations continue, they will need crew for those flights, cargo handlers, mechanics, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.