Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Cholula
Direct service from a user-friendly, not to mention close to my home, airport (SNA vs. LAX).
Agreed. I would love another airline to pick up SNA to the islands, but seriously doubt anyone will.

Originally Posted by Cholula
Eight AM departure from CA, noon arrival in Maui. No change of planes. Most every airline required a change of planes in HNL.

DL, as a contrast, (and as a 6 million-miler on DL I have flown them more than a few times to Hawaii), left LAX at 5 PM, arrived OGG at 9 PM, first day in paradise shot to hell. FC meal service, all plastic-ware, was a corn pizza flung at your seat 20 minutes after departure.

And I forgot the biggie.

AQ would have a direct flight back to the mainland from OGG at noon each day. DL only offered a red-eye leaving at 11:45 at night, thirteen hours after you had to vacate your Maui hotel.

Other than those few differences, AQ was pretty much the same as everybody else.
I think you're a bit blinded here, Cholula. Nobody (well, certainly not me, and by butt has spent millions of miles in DL seats, too) is going to try to convince you DL is the right way to the islands, but UA hits all of these other points just fine.

Still, a sad day indeed.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:07 pm

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
Well this just sucks. I have a Maui to Kauai flight in July. At the time I booked it was $5 cheaper on Aloha than HA, now for the same flight it would be $50 more. Guess I'll go and dispute the charge with my bank (VISA debit card). Meanwhile I'll extend my reservation in Maui just in case we end up not getting over to Kauai.

Is Aloha going to try and accomodate the inter island flights through the summer, or only worry about the mainland flights for the next few days.

Last edited by jasonpbyu; Mar 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hold it!! AQ is not eventually shutdown yet!!!

Here the source from AQ is not eventually shutdown yet. They are continuation to flying inter-islands flights. I heard AQ is negotiations with HA-AQ to be merge. Here's the press releases from AQ:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80330070

I'm sure if AQ will able continuation to flying but, they are not eventually went of business yet. Thanks all.

Regards
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
Originally Posted by N830MH
Here the source from AQ is not eventually shutdown yet. They are continuation to flying inter-islands flights. I heard AQ is negotiations with HA-AQ to be merge. Here's the press releases from AQ:

I'm sure if AQ will able continuation to flying but, they are not eventually went of business yet. Thanks all.

Regards
So if I have flights (inter-island) booked in July, should I immediately dispute the charge, or should I ride it out for a few weeks or so and see what happens?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:21 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by N830MH

Regards
As stated in several other threads, federal bankruptcy law supercedes HI 30 day going out of business law. I don't think Governon Lingle can gather the support to bail out AQ with state $$$ after the Superferry funding disaster.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jasonpbyu
So if I have flights (inter-island) booked in July, should I immediately dispute the charge, or should I ride it out for a few weeks or so and see what happens?
Dispute the charges now and rebook. Lingle can't bail out AQ. Plus, even if they did, what good would that be? AQ was already deep in the red. This day was inevitable without a buyer. A bailout would only prolong the death.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by slippahs
Dispute the charges now and rebook.
Agree.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:43 pm

This is a major bummer…..we hate LAX. Aloha was a great airline with great fares and going to HI from the OC was so convenient. This will really hurt tourism to Hawaii in my opinion. I know we will cut back on the destination….since Aloha opened service from OC we were averaging two to three vacations a year on the Islands.

I am glad we were not stuck over there….we had planned another spring break trip and our return was going to be tomorrow. We canceled the trip because we knew we had to be back by 3/31.

Mahalo and Aloha to a great airline. Our condolences to the employees who will now be out of work.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by daviator
I
According to Aloha's FAQ on their web site, the code-share flights on United would still be honored. But when I called United to confirm that, and to ask what my options were regarding the interisland flights, United told me that since the ticket was on Aloha stock, they couldn't do anything with the interisland flights and weren't sure if the United portions (with AQ flight numbers) would be honored. .
According to the UAL web site, any flights on UA metal will be honored. No matter which stock the ticket was written on.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by 4ARedOctober
This is a major bummer…..we hate LAX. Aloha was a great airline with great fares and going to HI from the OC was so convenient. This will really hurt tourism to Hawaii in my opinion.
...unless someone else picks up some of those routes? I don't know whether HA has the capacity, but if AQ was running decent load factors to the "smaller" cities, I could see AS or TZ being interested, or maybe even a major. It's by no means a given, but you have to figure the mainland routes probably weren't hemorrhaging money as much as the inter-island ones, so there are customers there for the taking.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DanTravels
...unless someone else picks up some of those routes? I don't know whether HA has the capacity, but if AQ was running decent load factors to the "smaller" cities, I could see AS or TZ being interested, or maybe even a major. It's by no means a given, but you have to figure the mainland routes probably weren't hemorrhaging money as much as the inter-island ones, so there are customers there for the taking.
Well SNA would be out for HA. Can't land a 763 there fully fueled for HNL. I could see AS moving in; they already have a good number of flights out of SNA and the aircraft would meet the market size for SNA-HNL/OGG. Would be interesting to see what happens.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:28 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
A Big MAHALO. I was on your flight today from LIH-SAN

Thank you Aloha for taking good care of us. I was on flight 485 from Lihue,HI to San Diego tonight(Sunday 3/30).

I will miss the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and milk....and all of your smiling faces.

MAHALO!!!
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a very sad day for Hawaiian travellers and, obviously, much worse for Aloha's employees.

It feels like ancient history, but Aloha's fate was probably sealed when Greg Brenneman's attempt to merge Aloha and Hawaiian fell apart. I was tangentially involved in that, and I know nobody thought Aloha's long term prospects as a stand-alone carrier were good. Mesa obviously smelled blood in the water and hastened Aloha's demise, but I suspect the end would have eventually come anyway.

What seems particularly ironic to me is how many people in Hawaii opposed the Aloha-Hawaiian deal. Nobody likes change -- particularly in the airline industry (and particularly in Hawaii!). But I've seen this same story continually repeat itself: an airline merger is proposed, opposition mounts, the deal doesn't get done, and the final outcome is worse.

Change is sometimes better than the alternative.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:12 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slippahs
Hawaiian's trial was the first up against go!/Mesa. They were successful at the US District Court level winning a $90M verdict but go!/Mesa was appealing that judgment.

Seems like a slam dunk case now, should AQ or its creditors push forward with its lawsuit.

I have a feeling go! will be toast soon.
I think you'd better hope that's not the case if you do much interisland travel. I understand the hurt feelings and the anti go sentiment, but if Hawaii is left with just one interisland airline, then the prices will be so high that people can't afford to go interisland. Like em or not, Go has made it possible to travel for many people.

I feel for the employees of Aloha, but I never liked the airline. I thought it was rude and second rate. I always chose Hawaiian instead. But it is sad when any long time company folds. Too many people lose.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I understand the hurt feelings and the anti go sentiment, but if Hawaii is left with just one interisland airline, then the prices will be so high that people can't afford to go interisland. Like em or not, Go has made it possible to travel for many people.
Yeah, but they've lost $1.25 million a month, on average, doing so. Which isn't very smart in the long run. If anybody is going to survive going forward, interisland airfares are going to have to adjust to reflect rising costs. And if that means some folks can't afford to travel as often, I'm sorry, but one airline running out of money and closing up shop on very short notice is enough.

So... I'd actually like go! and Hawaiian to set fares that cover their costs of doing business, and stop posting losses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.