Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
HA is coming through on their additional lift. Here's what it looks like so far:

4 X 717's HNL/LIH/HNL (all after 9PM)
2 X 717 + 5 X 763 HNL/OGG/HNL throughout the day 4/1
3 X 717's HNL/KOA/HNL
3 X 717's HNL/ITO/HNL
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by UnitedRhapsody
HA is coming through on their additional lift. Here's what it looks like so far:

4 X 717's HNL/LIH/HNL (all after 9PM)
2 X 717 + 5 X 763 HNL/OGG/HNL throughout the day 4/1
3 X 717's HNL/KOA/HNL
3 X 717's HNL/ITO/HNL
Do they match up to these as listed by N380MH some days back in the other thread?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Do they match up to these as listed by N380MH some days back in the other thread?
Almost exactly. However a lot of the HNL/OGG 717 frequencies were dropped in favor of 763 flights with 12-- series flight numbers instead of 11--.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I wonder if now would be a good time to stock up on inter-island tickets, while fares are still $49 o/w.........
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

E-mail from Hawaiian Air:
HawaiianMiles #
Aloha SLIPPAHS,

As you have heard, Aloha Airlines will stop service at the end of the day, March 31st.

During this very difficult time, we anticipate that there will be a heavy burden on our Reservations call center, as well as at the airports. We have added 6,000 interisland seats to continue to serve you and help accommodate the additional passengers.

We want to thank you in advance for your understanding and patience as we all try to help our friends and family in Hawaii.

As a valued member, we remain committed to providing you with the service levels that you have come to know at Hawaiian.

Mahalo,

Glenn Taniguchi
Senior Vice President, Marketing & Sales
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:29 pm

STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL TO INTERVENE

By admin | March 30, 2008

During the employees’ meeting with Governor Linda Lingle on Friday she reminded us that the Attorney General has a bankruptcy attorney participating in the Bankruptcy Court proceedings of Aloha Airlines.

Today (3/30) in response to Aloha’s shutdown announcement, Governor Lingle has informed one of our SaveAloha leaders of the following:

1. The State is going to object to the Monday shutdown of Aloha Airlines because it has not had an opportunity to review Aloha’s books.

2. The State would like to know why Aloha is seeking to employ Imperial Capital, LLC as financial advisers, and why they are seeking an additional two weeks of debtor in possession financing if they intend to shutdown.

3. There may be a State law that prevents a shutdown without 60 days notice to the State. While this law is probably trumped by Federal Banrkuptcy law, it does present strong evidence to the Bankruptcy Court that a sudden shutdown of the company is not in the best interests of the creditors, including the State of Hawaii.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by hal717200
STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL TO INTERVENE
This sounds like nothing more than political grandstanding. The 60 day shutdown law isn't "maybe" preempted by BK - it *is* preempted. It would seem that the only winning argument the Hawaii AG could make to a BK court is "we are willing to pay the money to keep the operation running and we are willing to provide the manpower to do so and we are willing to indemnify the bankruptcy estate if we cause any financial harm to the assets."

And they *won't* say that . . .
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Unhappy

Let me join the rest of the chorus in lamenting AQ' s demise.

I've been through dozens of airline liquidations in my 40+ years of commercial air travel..and have lost mucho miles and many airline friends in the process... but this one hits home harder than any of the others.

In my hundreds of interisland flights, I'm guessing I was on AQ 99% of the time. I'd only fly HA if my AQ flight was canceled.

And most recently we have flown the SNA/OGG/SNA RT on our 2-3 annual trips to Hawaii. We loved the schedule, the employees and the ambience on AQ.

We can only hope that we get a quality replacement for AQ, especially on their transpac service. HA, UA and DL, IMHO, don't cut it.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by loboclone
Based upon the Aloha statements looks like Mesa was sucessful. Wonder if it will ever go to trial now?
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
Sadly, the potential (more likely probable) judgement against Mesa is one of AQ's biggest assets. I am sure the creditors will pursue it...
But that recovery will go to the creditors first, and then (if anything is left) the stockholders. Little, if any, help for the employees who lost their careers...
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Letter to AQ employees now available on the Honolulu Advertiser's website:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80330065
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:27 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
One AQ is gone watch those unreasonably low airfares on Go to suddenly go up!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, Marriott Titanium & LT Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Question AQ's SNA slots

Does anyone know what will likely happen to AQ's SNA slots? I know many people who take the Reno flight for skiing at Lake Tahoe.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:00 pm

Does UAL honor existing Aloha tickets. What't the best way to change existing tickets? If this is already on another thread, please help...
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by hal717200
The State would like to know why Aloha is seeking to employ Imperial Capital, LLC as financial advisers, and why they are seeking an additional two weeks of debtor in possession financing if they intend to shutdown.
Uh... because they don't intend to shut down. They intend to cease passenger operations.

Chrysler didn't shut down when they discontinued the Plymouth brand, either.

Originally Posted by Cholula
We can only hope that we get a quality replacement for AQ, especially on their transpac service. HA, UA and DL, IMHO, don't cut it.
Wow... how's that kool-aid taste? I never flew AQ to the mainland (and I would question whether they ever offered "trans-pacific" service, since I think their short-lived Taipei route occurred in a different decade than their mainland service), but I've flown almost every other option - HA, UA, DL, AA, CO, NW, TZ, even TW - so I'm really curious how AQ could be that much better than all those others, when all those others are pretty comparable.

What did I miss out on, that I'll now never have the chance to experience?

Originally Posted by GaryDouglas
Does UAL honor existing Aloha tickets. What't the best way to change existing tickets? If this is already on another thread, please help...
And if the answers were posted on the first page of this very thread, which we can only imagine you are too busy to read... do you still want us to help?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 30, 2008 at 8:55 pm
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:27 pm

Yes, I saw it on this thread and on Aloha's website. It either wasn't definitive enough or I was hoping for more than what I saw. Since I'm trying to fix this situation asap and have limited time, I would appreciate some help no matter how stupid you think I am.

My take on the Aloha's statement is that my recourse is to go through my credit card company and refund the amount already paid and do whatever I can to make new reservations with Hawaiian or UAL. And if a call UAL, they will not honor my existing flights and I'll either use FF miles or money to get tickets.

Anything more to this than that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.