Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card 2 x 35K offers [ARCHIVES]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card 2 x 35K offers [ARCHIVES]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:56 pm

Just wanted to add a data point for these 2 cards.

I applied for both the BofH and BofA HA cards. Initially "not approved", upon recon phone call was approved for both and during call I specifically asked if I was approved for Signature or Platinum. Rep told me Signature for both.

Fast forward 12 days to today. Got both cards and the BofH (2.5k CL) was the Platinum version not the Signature version. The BofA (5k CL) was Signature version.
Just called recon phone line again. The reason that I was given the Platinum was that my stated income was 30k and they typically only offer a total CL of 20% of total income...i.e. they should have only approved me for a total CL of 6k. The Signature version of the card requires a minimum CL of 5k. I tried explaining that I needed a higher limit for my business but since my business doesn't make any money at this time there was nothing he could do.

Anyway, major point here is that to get the Signature version of both cards (without any problems) you need a total income of 50k since 20% of 50k is 10k and two Signature cards would need 5k CL on both. Since technically my income (30k) should have only got me 6k total CL, but I got a 7.5k total CL (5k + 2.5k), then maybe with a total income of 40k you MAY be able to get both as Signature cards. This is calculated by me getting 7.5k with total income of 30k = 25%, hence 25% of 40k is 10k and 10k is enough to get 2 Signature cards.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Worth a shot, but your info may be dated. I thought the CARD Act banned over limit fees.
Thanks for giving me this heads up. You were correct. The info I had was from prior to the CARD Act. Therefore I didn't try this tactic. I was not successful in getting the Platinum increased to Signature.

I will just have to be happy I will get a total of 45k HA pts (90k Hilton pts).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesGator
Just wanted to add a data point for these 2 cards.

I applied for both the BofH and BofA HA cards. Initially "not approved", upon recon phone call was approved for both and during call I specifically asked if I was approved for Signature or Platinum. Rep told me Signature for both.

Fast forward 12 days to today. Got both cards and the BofH (2.5k CL) was the Platinum version not the Signature version. The BofA (5k CL) was Signature version.
Just called recon phone line again. The reason that I was given the Platinum was that my stated income was 30k and they typically only offer a total CL of 20% of total income...i.e. they should have only approved me for a total CL of 6k. The Signature version of the card requires a minimum CL of 5k. I tried explaining that I needed a higher limit for my business but since my business doesn't make any money at this time there was nothing he could do.

Anyway, major point here is that to get the Signature version of both cards (without any problems) you need a total income of 50k since 20% of 50k is 10k and two Signature cards would need 5k CL on both. Since technically my income (30k) should have only got me 6k total CL, but I got a 7.5k total CL (5k + 2.5k), then maybe with a total income of 40k you MAY be able to get both as Signature cards. This is calculated by me getting 7.5k with total income of 30k = 25%, hence 25% of 40k is 10k and 10k is enough to get 2 Signature cards.
you should forget about signature or the platinum.

What I need is the 35k miles each for 140 hilton points and CARELESS about this card being platinum or signature. this is not my every day use cards so will cancel once i get the bonus.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I got approved today for 2 $5K cards with $41K income, so the $50K income thing isn't true. Both reps congratulated me on tremendous credit, perhaps that has something to do with it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness

What I need is the 35k miles each for 140 hilton points and CARELESS about this card being platinum or signature. this is not my every day use cards so will cancel once i get the bonus.
The entire point of my post was that I also wanted the 35k on each for 140k Hilton pts. BUT that I was only approved for 35k pts on the BofA and 10k on the BofH hence will only receive 45k total from both and will only be able to net 90k Hilton pts.

The Signature vs Platinum topic was b/c only the Signature version of the card gets the 35k pts bonus. Therefore I was trying to add a helpful piece of information for others in determining if they would ACTUALLY be eligible for two Signature cards and hence 70k HA pts or 140k Hilton pts.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
I got approved today for 2 $5K cards with $41K income, so the $50K income thing isn't true. Both reps congratulated me on tremendous credit, perhaps that has something to do with it.
Thanks for adding this. The rep that I talked to today told me their policy was 20% of total income. But since I was able to get approved for 25% of total income (5k + 2.5k/30k income), it is definitely not a "set in stone" rule. It's still a decent guide as to whether or not you stand a reasonable chance of getting approved for 2 Signature cards.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
Warning with the FIA/BoH card: They don't do eBilling with Bank of America billpay. I completed the minimum spend in the first month, paid the bill, assuming the annual fee was in there.

It wasn't. They charged it after the first statement closed. I ignored the mailed bills because I hadn't been using the card anymore and had paid it off... a 30 day delinquent notice from my credit monitoring service to find out about it. It's my own fault for not opening the bills, but kinda annoying that they don't do eBilling and didn't charge the annual fee in the first statement. Only $3 in fees, which don't bother me too much, and luckily I wasn't planning on another cc application for a year now. Still, i'm gonna call them to see if there's anything they can do about it.
Same happened here. It actually got reported as negative info on the credit report. I called to have FIA remove the negative item and they said they could remove it only because the only charge was the annual fee. They said I had to cancel the card and then the negative mark would be removed. Ended up with the signup bonus miles without having to pay the annual fee.

As for Chase auto-pay, you can register your bank account on chase.com to have your card paid in full when it comes due.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:44 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I put 33k income I am capped at 9k credit with BoA. Funny cuz all the other banks give me about 3x that.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emptiness

You miss the point on this discussion.

With Bank America (both cards are administered by BofA), a lower version of card also means a lower sign up bonus.

In case you are not aware, this is also the practice of Barclays.

Citi and Chase on the other hand would honor the bonus you applied for even if you are approved for a lesser card.

Hence yes, there is major difference between a Signature and a Plat in this case that you should care about.

The entire point of my post was that I also wanted the 35k on each for 140k Hilton pts. BUT that I was only approved for 35k pts on the BofA and 10k on the BofH hence will only receive 45k total from both and will only be able to net 90k Hilton pts.

The Signature vs Platinum topic was b/c only the Signature version of the card gets the 35k pts bonus. Therefore I was trying to add a helpful piece of information for others in determining if they would ACTUALLY be eligible for two Signature cards and hence 70k HA pts or 140k Hilton pts.
Thanks for giving more info so those who are not aware the implication would know better.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Applied for these 2 cards in early NOV. Verified all the info on phone on the day I applied with credit dept. 2 days ago, I called to see if they can overnight, I was transferred to Fraud dept agent and I had to answer lots of questions like my past address etc. I than spoke to customer service for overnight shipment. Card didn't come in mail today although I was told by an agent 3 days ago that he would accept my request for rush overnight shipping. BOA gave me very hard time with THESE 2 CARDS. I HAD ALL THE INFO verified on phone with the credit dept the day I applied in early NOV. today I was asked to go to BOA branch with id and had all the info verified. so after spending 30 mins with the branch employee and on phone with fraud dept and credit dept, they told me to wait another 7-10 days regular mail. applied with citi and chase cards. got all the cards in mail 6 days ago except the boa cards. they wouldn't overnight it. They told me its against the law to overnight and all card companies have same policy, I told the rep that it maybe BOA's new policy but I had my previous BOA virgin atlantic card over nighted and same with chase and citi cards. Lesson learned

Last edited by emptiness; Nov 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
yeah

just wait until you activate the BofA card .. and get sent to Fraud department again like I was
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
yeah

just wait until you activate the BofA card .. and get sent to Fraud department again like I was
i told the manager that if they can remove the four credit pulls that did on these 2 cards, i will not need these 2 cards cos i waited long enough and I am tired of speaking to agents who puts me on long hold and kept putting fraud alerts even before the card is ever used. they said they can't do it. I will just wait for 2 more weeks i guess and spend it, get the miles and transfer to hilton and cancel them both to avoid annual fee.

I wonder if the AF is charged from the day you got approved or only after the card is activated. cos my wife's Hawaain card got hit with AF one week after she activated it.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA, AAL, UA, SW, HHonors, UR
Just got approved on-line for this one. CL is 6% of my income! Could that be because my mortgage payment is already 40% of my income ? Anyway, I got there from the HA member home page, and it specified the bonus of 35k + 50% off companion ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
For those wanting to use HA miles for flights on VS, redemptions just went up. 100K is now 125K, 140K is now 160K
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Thanks for adding this. The rep that I talked to today told me their policy was 20% of total income.
There must be more to it because my recon rep gave me my $ cap and it's >50% of my household income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.