Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FTers favorite dining and drinking in Munich

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Given my relative short time in Munich, how is the Augustiner Keller? Just don't want to stress over the tram connection to the Palais Keller.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:32 am

Augustiner Keller is good. You will not be disappointed.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Given my relative short time in Munich, how is the Augustiner Keller? Just don't want to stress over the tram connection to the Palais Keller.
Palais Keller is a very short walk from rail station - why take tram?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by chrissxb
Palais Keller is a very short walk from rail station - why take tram?
About 1 Km each way? Not that far but we only have a scheduled 2 1/2 hrs between trains (and want to get back in plenty of time to board the nachtzug), have to stash the bags as well.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Walk to the Augustiner Keller, Palais is too far away and too fancy schmanzy and frigging expensive! OK, its in the basement of the most expensive 5* Hotel in town... Augustiner will give you a much better bavarian experience.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I'm looking for a restaurant in Munich - going to be there right before Oktoberfest, so I'm assuming I'll need a reservation.

It's tough to decide online since a lot of places do no have any English menus.

Can someone recommend 2-3 solid places close to central Munich that allows easy walking distance/short taxi to the nightlife (bars, etc).

I'd love to try something German/Bavarian/etc.

Price isn't an issue as long as it isn't $150/person.

Did some research and saw Biergarten Chinesischer Turm (http://www.chinaturm.de/) and Spatenhaus an der Oper (Spatenhaus an der Oper). How are these.

Other recommendations welcome!!!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, SWA, Lifemiles, Emirates, Amex Plat.
Any place that serves Augustiner is a winner. The Helles is the best beer ever, they will likely be serving their special Oktoberfest beer this time of year! Prost. Do try O'Batzda!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I'm looking for a restaurant in Munich - going to be there right before Oktoberfest, so I'm assuming I'll need a reservation.
I'm not sure about a reservation for this restaurant, but one of my favorites is Zum Dürnbräu, one of the older traditional Bavarian establishments in Munich. It´s on the Dürnbräugasse and very centrally located. I try to stop by once or twice each time I am in Munich.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

It's tough to decide online since a lot of places do no have any English menus.

Can someone recommend 2-3 solid places close to central Munich that allows easy walking distance/short taxi to the nightlife (bars, etc).

I'd love to try something German/Bavarian/etc.

Price isn't an issue as long as it isn't $150/person.

Did some research and saw Biergarten Chinesischer Turm (http://www.chinaturm.de/) and Spatenhaus an der Oper (Spatenhaus an der Oper). How are these.

Other recommendations welcome!!!
You normally don't need reservations... the Spatenhaus is a good bet, pricing on the higher end. The chinesischer turm Biergarten is open during the day and definitely has no reservations The restaurant opposite to it closes at 9pm and is far away from the town.

The Weisse Brauhaus is good, relatively cheap and in downtown: http://www.weisses-brauhaus.de/

Close to it is Paulaner im Tal, that is a nice place too, the decor is not that traditional though:
http://www.paulaner-im-tal.de/Paulan...tartseite.html

BTW, most restaturants in town have an english menu.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I have some photos of the Augustiner Keller in our BMW trip report. We really enjoyed it and will go back if we're in Munich again. The spicy sausages are excellent as are the giant pretzels. Ask the waiter for the English menu, a laminated white sheet of paper. The German menu is much prettier but the English, much easier to read. We enjoyed comparing the two menus to try and learn the names of the various dishes.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Any recent recommendations for restaurants in Munich - we're staying near Marienplatz, so prefer something there. Not beer halls - ideally something finer dining in a German/Bavarian style.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Any recent recommendations for restaurants in Munich - we're staying near Marienplatz, so prefer something there. Not beer halls - ideally something finer dining in a German/Bavarian style.
I
recently was at Tantris. Still love that place.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jspira
I
recently was at Tantris. Still love that place.
That’s one of the high end options, but wouldn’t call it Bavarian. The Bavarian restaurants I visited in Munich were all rustic. Excemption is Schuhbeck, but wasn’t happy with my meal.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by offerendum

That’s one of the high end options, but wouldn’t call it Bavarian. The Bavarian restaurants I visited in Munich were all rustic. Excemption is Schuhbeck, but wasn’t happy with my meal.
No, it's not Bavarian but it is representative of Bavarian culture and tradition. I don't particularly like Schuhbeck either btw. - I believe you mean exception or was it exemption?

Unlike in Vienna, where we have true Viennese fine dining, it would be a challenge to find what people consider to be traditional Bavarian cuisine at a so-called "fine dining" establishment (I hate the phrase "fine dining" incidentally but that's probably the topic for another thread).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jspira
It would be a challenge to find what people consider to be traditional Bavarian cuisine at a so-called "fine dining" establishment (I hate the phrase "fine dining" incidentally but that's probably the topic for another thread).
Ah, the old contradiction in terms! Maybe we should aim for something bavarian one night and a fancier place the other.

And I'm not wild about the term "fine dining" either but was trying to give some indication I wasn't looking for more basic stuff - something with a bit of good experience (and said "finer") (My main issue is that it's more typically used to define a place that's a step up from takeout - i.e., Oliver Garden instead of Panera)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.