Search

FTers favorite dining and drinking in Munich

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
FTers favorite dining and drinking in Munich

Dergon_gf and I going for a few days in March.

We don't have a set dining agenda.....got some funky cool eats? Fine dining? Stylish gastropub? Local dive with lots of character? A place with the best cocktails or biggest beers? Let me know.

Thanks .....all input welcomed.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Hofbrauhaus is awesome! One of (if not the) largest beer halls in the world.

Also, be sure and visit Dachau concentration camp for a memorable experience.

Happy travels. Munchen is a great city!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Thanks! Looking forward.

Bah! Just noticed I spelled Munich wrong ----- can some moderator hook me up and get rid of my typo? thanks
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Bah! Just noticed I spelled Munich wrong ----- can some moderator hook me up and get rid of my typo? thanks
done

chrissxb, co-mod, germany forum
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
The Augustiner brauhaus right by the Karlsplatz/Stachus S-Bahn stop is a sure bet for me. I didn't care too much for the Hofbrauhaus.

There are several smaller places right around the Frauenkirche, including an Andechs restaurant and beer joint, only it is quite small compared to the other places mentioned.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by etch5895
The Augustiner brauhaus right by the Karlsplatz/Stachus S-Bahn stop is a sure bet for me.
I was just in there on Tuesday for a beer. Very quiet in late afternoon. I had a friend take me to their actual brewery later that evening which is a couple miles away.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:21 pm

My favorite place for shopping in Downtown Munich, Dallmayrs, great food, deli, cigars, bakery, coffee that is the best in the world. address: Dallmayr, Dienerstraße 14-15

The Augustiner brauhaus is better than the Hofbrauhaus but it is still a fun place to visit. You can't go wrong with anything in the Marianplatz area.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA - Kettle
My perennial favorites are Augustiner Am Dom - next to the Frauenkirche. And the Ayinger restaurant (name is escaping me) across the street from the Hofbrau, next to the Hard Rock.
Now I'm hungry for some Scheinhaxn and a mass!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I'll second just about any place that's been mentioned.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the dress code at Augustiner Kellar just up from the Hauptbanhof (pardon my spelling)? I was there on Valentine's night and it seems like they were turning around people that were "underdressed".

HTSC
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:22 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The Augustiner brauhaus right by the Karlsplatz/Stachus S-Bahn stop is a sure bet for me. I didn't care too much for the Hofbrauhaus.

There are several smaller places right around the Frauenkirche, including an Andechs restaurant and beer joint, only it is quite small compared to the other places mentioned.
I second that. Augustiner Brauhaus is way better than the Hofbräuhaus.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:48 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
...including an Andechs restaurant and beer joint, only it is quite small compared to the other places mentioned.
I like that, too.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:15 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
We have our monthly gathering always at the Airbräu (MUC Central Area).
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Gold
if you're looking for a great breakfast, I'd recommend heading to the Victualsmarkt, right off the Neues Rathaus for some weisswurst and a half liter of weissbier. There are a bunch of places to get freshly made sausages with sweet mustard... make sure you dive right in, no fork and knife needed, best Breakfast I ever had while living in Germany!

The Hofbrauhaus is a must for a beer hall, good food too! if the weather is nice, check out the Chinese Beer garden in the English Garden, one of the biggest biergardens in the works, easy to get to, and you can keep your 1L glass for ~3EUR, much cheaper than the ~8EUR you'll pay at the Hof
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
That's not quite accurate. Technically you're paying the pfand, which is the deposit. You don't own the mass, and you are expected to return it. If you decide to keep it, you're breaking the "pfand law"

[And I'm sure that it's been done plenty of times before].

HTSC
Originally Posted by MflyerCVG
The Hofbrauhaus is a must for a beer hall, good food too! if the weather is nice, check out the Chinese Beer garden in the English Garden, one of the biggest biergardens in the works, easy to get to, and you can keep your 1L glass for ~3EUR, much cheaper than the ~8EUR you'll pay at the Hof
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:45 pm

Fine dining: Retter's Frauenstrasse 10 closed Sunday & Monday across from the Viktualienmarkt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.