FTers favorite dining and drinking in Munich

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FTers favorite dining and drinking in Munich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
A couple of our favorites in the immediate Marienplatz area are Schneider Brauhaus. Zum Augustiner and Augustiner am Dom.
None of them would be "fine dining", definitely traditional Bavarian.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jspira
No, it's not Bavarian but it is representative of Bavarian culture and tradition. I don't particularly like Schuhbeck either btw. - I believe you mean exception or was it exemption?

Unlike in Vienna, where we have true Viennese fine dining, it would be a challenge to find what people consider to be traditional Bavarian cuisine at a so-called "fine dining" establishment (I hate the phrase "fine dining" incidentally but that's probably the topic for another thread).
Uuuups - yes ecxeption Agree about Tantris. Was in Munich last weekend, but none of the high end options available. Thought about Atelier but booked for weeks - 3 stars are like a magnet.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by offerendum

Thats one of the high end options, but wouldnt call it Bavarian. The Bavarian restaurants I visited in Munich were all rustic. Excemption is Schuhbeck, but wasnt happy with my meal.
Originally Posted by jspira
No, it's not Bavarian but it is representative of Bavarian culture and tradition. I don't particularly like Schuhbeck either btw. - I believe you mean exception or was it exemption?

Unlike in Vienna, where we have true Viennese fine dining, it would be a challenge to find what people consider to be traditional Bavarian cuisine at a so-called "fine dining" establishment (I hate the phrase "fine dining" incidentally but that's probably the topic for another thread).
I don't know that the somewhat stereotypical 'traditional' Bavarian food (beer hall atmosphere) lends itself to the tired notion of 'fine dining', but you could try Kfer or Brenner if you want the 'atmosphere'.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:42 pm

Maybe not fine dining, but "finer dining" in a nice rural setting can be had in Aying at August und Maria. Very much Bavarian, and not too far from downtown Munich with the S-Bahn. Haven't been there since their renovations/re-branding, though.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I'm looking for a restaurant in Munich - going to be there right before Oktoberfest, so I'm assuming I'll need a reservation.

It's tough to decide online since a lot of places do no have any English menus.

Can someone recommend 2-3 solid places close to central Munich that allows easy walking distance/short taxi to the nightlife (bars, etc).

I'd love to try something German/Bavarian/etc.

Price isn't an issue as long as it isn't $150/person.

Did some research and saw Biergarten Chinesischer Turm (Restaurant und Biergarten am Chinesischer Turm München Schwabing) and Spatenhaus an der Oper (Spatenhaus an der Oper). How are these.

Other recommendations welcome!!!
I can recommend the Pfistermhle https://www.pfistermuehle.de/en/ or the Bogenhausener Hof (Deutsch) Bogenhauser Hof | Ihr gehobenes Restaurant in Mnchen Bogenhausen. Another try is the Freisinger Hof (austrian cuisine) Opening times | Freisinger Hof Restaurant
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Tantris is most certainly not a 'German/Bavarian' restaurant...
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Schapeau at Hotel Torbrau

It's pretty good. Not ultra "fine dining" but good.
plus they have good cocktail happy hours.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But it’s not easy to find decent food at reasonable prices in downtown Munich. I was in the Schneider Brauhaus recently and was disappointed with the quality of the meat, which would have best thrown to the dogs. I let them know and they were, surprisingly, quite nice about it. But otherwise, they don’t care, the turnover is so great.

So for lunchtimes, I tend to revert to the Dinea restaurant of Kaufhof, or the restaurant of Karstadt, which can be pretty good for the price. The other option is hole-the-wall type establishments that can actually be quite good, even if the surroundings are not too classy.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The Dinea above Kaufhof in Stachus has great views of the city. If you are looking for decently priced meals, go to the restaurant below the beer museum: Museumsstberl im Bier & Oktoberfestmuseum Most dishes are <10EUR.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I like to eat at Max Pett but its very special and not for the majority.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
I like to eat at Max Pett but its very special and not for the majority.
Max has a very good Kaiserschmarrn. While this is an Austrian dish, as is Wiener Schnitzel for that matter, it is served in many establishments in Bavaria as well.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:35 am

Max Pett's Kaiserschmarrn is vegan, so it has nothing to do with the real thing anyway...
1flyer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:01 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
OK, I refer to Drewguys question from Dec 15 asking for finer dining, german / bavarian, near Marienplatz. I can second Pfistermuehle in Hotel Platzl. And one of my favourits is Weinhaus Neuner. A bit more high end is Dallmayr Restaurant, beautiful setting. A bit more traditional bavarian, but not beer hall is Spatenhaus an der Oper.These four fine dining options are within 5 walking minutes from Marienplatz. Enjoy!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Max Pett's Kaiserschmarrn is vegan, so it has nothing to do with the real thing anyway...
Wouldnt say nothing But its definitively (an most guests of Max expect this) not the original.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Thanks to all for the suggestions above. These are really good to know about and this could be a very useful thread. There are a couple of threads in the Italy forum which deal with eating recommendations and the info better than any you will find from other sources.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.