Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
My view about the AY LH ground handling at ARN is so negative that for future I’ll happily pay much more for ex-HEL.
While my view isn't quite as negative as yours, I do recognize this and can't help wondering why it has to be so difficult. Mind you, the whole airport experience at ARN looks and feels like you're in a 3rd world country, but it's difficult for me to understand how boarding a plane can be so difficult, especially after they've been doing it every day for months now.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
They operate intercontinental 3 class of service flights from their 2nd hub…is that Norsken s*** really the best they were able to get at ARN?
What other options would there be in T5?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:24 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I really don’t know..maybe nothing for a non Star Alliance carrier…?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Mind you, the whole airport experience at ARN looks and feels like you're in a 3rd world country, but it's difficult for me to understand how boarding a plane can be so difficult, especially after they've been doing it every day for months now.
Couldn’t agree more. As with you LAX flight earlier in the week our experience got a whole lot better once onboard but the ground experience is so bad it would take SQ or EK F to get the balance right. Also on our JFK flight lots of HKG based crew in J and service has been good👍
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:30 am

Menzies Executive lounge was nice but with poor offerings. Unfortunately, it seems to be temporarily closed now. Maybe Finnair, Qatar and BA could negotiate but AY does not have money for that. There used to be a Finnair branded lounge in T2.

Last edited by nordic; Aug 5, 2022 at 10:53 am
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Even QR uses Norrsken so the selection of lounges is really poor.
NoWindowSeat and SPBanker like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by nordic
There used to be a Finnair branded lounge in T2.
Indeed there was, with a separate top tier area. Different world, different times..
r2d2, ffay005 and intuition like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Isnt there the lounge after passport control, right from when you go up the escalator? I remember being there ages ago flying EK.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jorma
Isnt there the lounge after passport control, right from when you go up the escalator? I remember being there ages ago flying EK.
That is exactly what I remembered too. Used it for a QR flight like 5 years ago. Looking at the map it is not there anymore.
I think it was a menzies lounge, so perhaps it was re-located and rebranded as "Norrsken" and quality took a hit too in the process.
NoWindowSeat and florens like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
... they made an announcement that boarding would start ... as soon as fueling is completed. The plane had arrived 20 hours earlier so one would imagine they would have had time to refuel...

The main meal came with one fork and one knife ... as the 10 h 50 min flight time is surely not enough to serve a proper J meal.
You're a sarcastic devil, aren't you?
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
You're a sarcastic devil, aren't you?
I sure am, and it's easy to continue: as my plane arrived 15 minutes late, it is only natural that they predict a 30 min delay departing LAX

Check-in was a breeze, but the "secret" security checkpoint was closed, so it took 23 minutes to go through the TSA theatre. Managed a quick bite at the Flagship lounge, though. Now let's see if boarding really starts at 3:00 pm (STD 3:05).
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:44 pm

STD at 15:05, boarding completed at 15:20, pushback 15:36 and in the air already at 15:49. That was a job well done (and no irony here)! We're expected to arrive at ARN with a five minute delay only.

After a year (?) of ARN longhaul operations, AY is fully prepared: the boarding passes at LAX give instructions for arrivals and transfers at Helsinki airport. How nice!

Kindergarten class (used to be called business class) is full, with 7 out of the 32 seats occupied by children, two of whom are particularly noisy. Economy is not full at all.

My request for socks was met with an ”Erm, I don’t think we have…”, but my polite and firm ”Oh, you do. Thanks!” had the poor fella go to the galley looking for something he had never heard of (and after two minutes he appeared with my socks).

There are no menus on this flight. That is, there are, but they don't hand them out as they are all wrong. Sounds incredibly familiar. On my flight from DFW in May, they did hand out the menus but the plane was loaded with completely different dishes. Is it so that AY is now "Rääppiäiset Airways"? "Hi, yeah, this is AY catering manager calling, yeah, did you have any leftovers today? I mean, just load the plane with anything that's left over from other airlines, we will be quite happy. Just be nice and remove the –50% red price tags off the plates, will you? Okay, bye for now, I'll give you a call again tomorrow."

The main meal was served 80 min after take-off, which I feel is speedy enough. Appetizers consisted of mashed cauliflower and a piece of artichoke as well as smoked salmon.

The main course choices were crab cakes, veal cheeks and a risotto that I assume was vegetarian. I believe I was the first person asked for my choice, and probably one of the very few Plats on this flight. I chose the crab cakes, which were actually pretty tasty. I didn’t remember that this is one of the few ”bistro” flights where you can choose sides, too, so I didn’t ask what they had and wasn’t reminded, either. I was automatically brought a ramekin of some slimy veggies, which the FA then took back and replaced with mashed potato and white rice. I’ve never seen mashed potato and rice served side by side in one ramekin, but the mashed potatoes were tasty. Salt and pepper needed to be requested separately. At least the FAs gain lots of extra steps thanks to AY’s penny pinching.

Dessert options were cheese, chocolate cake with raspberry and key lime mousse. Unfortunately, I chose the mousse, which tasted like whipped cream with a sprinkle of lime. Fatty and tasteless.

Last edited by ffay005; Aug 7, 2022 at 7:36 pm Reason: typos
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
STD at 15:05, boarding completed at 15:20, pushback 15:36 and in the air already at 15:49. That was a job well done (and no irony here)! We're expected to arrive at ARN with a five minute delay only.

After a year (?) of ARN longhaul operations, AY is fully prepared: the boarding passes at LAX give instructions for arrivals and transfers at Helsinki airport. How nice!

Kindergarten class (used to be called business class) is full, with 7 out of the 32 seats occupied by children, two of which are particularly noisy. Economy is not full at all.

My request for socks was met with an ”Erm, I don’t think we have…”, but my polite and firm ”Oh, you do. Thanks!” had the poor fella go to the galley looking for something he had never heard of (and after two minutes he appeared with my socks).

There are no menus on this flight. That is, there are, but they don't hand them out as they are all wrong. Sounds incredibly familiar. On my flight from DFW in May, they did hand out the menus but the plane was loaded with completely different dishes. Is it so that AY is now "Rääppiäiset Airways"? "Hi, yeah, this is AY catering manager calling, yeah, did you have any leftovers today? I mean, just load the plane with anything that's left over from other airlines, we will be quite happy. Just be nice and remove the –50% red price tags off the plates, will you? Okay, bye for now, I'll give you a call again tomorrow."

The main meal was served 80 min after take-off, which I feel is speedy enough. Appetizers consisted of mashed cauliflower and a piece of artichoke as well as smoked salmon.

The main course choices were crab cakes, veal cheeks and a risotto that I assume was vegetarian. I believe I was the first person asked for my choice, and probably one of the very few Plats on this flight. I chose the crab cakes, which were actually pretty tasty. I didn’t remember that this is one of the few ”bistro” flights where you can choose sides, too, so I didn’t ask what they had and wasn’t reminded, either. I was automatically brought a ramekin of some slimy veggies, which the FA then took back and replaced with mashed potato and white rice. I’ve never seen mashed potato and rice served side by side in one ramekin, but the mashed potatoes were tasty. Salt and pepper needed to be requested separately. At least the FAs gain lots of extra steps thanks to AY’s penny pinching.

Dessert options were cheese, chocolate cake with raspberry and key lime mousse. Unfortunately, I chose the mousse, which tasted like whipped cream with a sprinkle of lime. Fatty and tasteless.
I haven't flown AY LH J since 2019, sad to see it deteriorate into this.

I love this term! Rääppiäiset is a great addition for @FFlash to add into our forum vocab!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I haven't flown AY LH J since 2019, sad to see it deteriorate into this.

I love this term! Rääppiäiset is a great addition for @FFlash to add into our forum vocab!
Yes, I definitely feel that my signature is not out of place. The hard product (old J) is decent, the soft product reeks of penny-pinching so much that it isn't fun anymore. And the experience doesn't improve when you have an FA who feels that it is enough to do half the job because the pax don't know better. Well, in this case this one pax does know better. Sorry about that.

Rääppiäiset is a great word. I wonder if it exists in any other language.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Yes, I definitely feel that my signature is not out of place. The hard product (old J) is decent, the soft product reeks of penny-pinching so much that it isn't fun anymore. And the experience doesn't improve when you have an FA who feels that it is enough to do half the job because the pax don't know better. Well, in this case this one pax does know better. Sorry about that.

Rääppiäiset is a great word. I wonder if it exists in any other language.
I hope you do send some feedback about your experience.

Couldn't think of a translation in any of the languages I speak nor did I manage to Google one. I guess it's one of those unique Finnish words.
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.