Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Old Aug 18, 22, 8:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by 3544quebec View Post
Either that or wildly misinformed.

Greetings from Norrsken

Thank you Putin? Apparently hot water must be rationed so it is only available for tea, not for coffee.
NoWindowSeat, OH-LGG, TPJ and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
If You mean AY, it's not a Scandinavian airline. AY is a Finnish airline.
I know. I guess you got the idea.

PS: I have changed it to "Nordic" to be more inclusive for the sake of our friends from Finland
OH-LGG likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:33 am

vfw614 Your experience resembles my recent one. It is as if the cabin crew only do half their job, imagining that pax don’t know better so they can get away with it. It probably works for most as I would assume many pax on this route are first time AY long haul fliers. In my case, the poor FA had to do so many extra runs because I knew to ask. He also lied or bent the truth on three different occasions but that didn’t help him much as he got caught every time. Poor fella.

AY only checks baggage through if you have all flights on one ticket or if flights are AY-operated and AY flight number.

The LAX boarding process was stupid, but no reason to stand in that queue for 20 minutes. Just get up and join when they actually start boarding.
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:00 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Thank you Putin? Apparently hot water must be rationed so it is only available for tea, not for coffee.
Coffee is becoming a unsustainable elite product.
ffay005, cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:11 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
Coffee is becoming a unsustainable elite product.
That's why "Kaffee Mix" was offered in the 70s
»Kaffee Mix« and coffee crisis | Blog (ddr-museum.de)
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:20 am

The Norrsken lounge was really a joke. I could not believe what they offered for breakfast. Just some crispbread and stale white bread plus the cheapest ham and cheese one can buy.

vfw614 Your experience resembles my recent one. It is as if the cabin crew only do half their job, imagining that pax don’t know better so they can get away with it. It probably works for most as I would assume many pax on this route are first time AY long haul fliers. In my case, the poor FA had to do so many extra runs because I knew to ask. He also lied or bent the truth on three different occasions but that didn’t help him much as he got caught every time. Poor fella.

AY only checks baggage through if you have all flights on one ticket or if flights are AY-operated and AY flight number.

The LAX boarding process was stupid, but no reason to stand in that queue for 20 minutes. Just get up and join when they actually start boarding.
Well, I was standing leisurely in the gate area in order to stretch my legs a bit before the flight only to be barked at to join the appropriate queue at its end. This apparently because the female drill sergeant then moved along the line with "boarding pass! passport" commands for a preliminary check. When I pulled out my mobile with my boarding pass, I was ordered to get a printed out one at the counter. Not sure what the point of this whole drill was as boarding pass and passport were inspected by someone else again when boarding eventually started....

Generally, I have pretty low expectations once on board. I just want to get from A to B with some comfort, so meals, drinks etc. are not really high on my priority list as the place to get a real good meal and drinks certainly is not at 40.000ft. So I guess I am pretty easy customer for flight crew and I hardly can be bothered to comment on travel experiences. However, the AY onboard service was both a bit chaotic and uninspired and the crew appeared to be pretty unmotivated. Not sure how AY's economy service is, but on other airlines you get more drinks offered in Economy than you did in C on that AY flight. Of course I can call the cabin crew, but the passenger should really not get the impression that he inconveniences the crew with his basic needs...
remymartin and cantongirl like this.

Last edited by vfw614; Aug 18, 22 at 9:32 am
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:48 am

The passport thing is interesting. On my flight, earlier this month, they made a point of announcing that no passport needs to be showed at the gate. Only BP.

The paper BP thing is stupid. It would be better not to issue a mobile BP at all if they want the paper slip anyway.

The reason for wanting the paper slip (many other airlines do, too, eg AA) is because that is their way of controlling that pax docs are OK.
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:50 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by vfw614 View Post
Of course I can call the cabin crew, but the passenger should really not get the impression that he inconveniences the crew with his basic needs...
With the really poor crews even the call button doesn't help. Earlier this year I had a long-haul AY flight in J where the cabin crew stayed firmly in the galley after the meal service. I pressed to call button, but within 20 minutes no one came around. I then went to the galley to get the drinks myself and got the evil eye from the FA's for disturbing their chitchat. Then 40 minutes later one of the FA's comes to ask what do I want, so my call button was finally responded within an hour.
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:18 am

The passport thing is interesting. On my flight, earlier this month, they made a point of announcing that no passport needs to be showed at the gate. Only BP.

The paper BP thing is stupid. It would be better not to issue a mobile BP at all if they want the paper slip anyway.

The reason for wanting the paper slip (many other airlines do, too, eg AA) is because that is their way of controlling that pax docs are OK.
They checked it twice. Or at least that is what they pretended to do. First when passengers were waiting in line like first graders before boarding started, then when they scanned the boarding passes. But I would not be surprised if they do not have standards that are adhered to. The whole ground operation at LAX was a bit amateurish. I guess AY awarded the contract to the lowest bidder...
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by vfw614; Aug 18, 22 at 10:25 am
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
With the really poor crews even the call button doesn't help. Earlier this year I had a long-haul AY flight in J where the cabin crew stayed firmly in the galley after the meal service. I pressed to call button, but within 20 minutes no one came around. I then went to the galley to get the drinks myself and got the evil eye from the FA's for disturbing their chitchat. Then 40 minutes later one of the FA's comes to ask what do I want, so my call button was finally responded within an hour.
I sensed some panic in their eyes whenever I went to the lav and had to move the curtain. Apparently they were afraid that they had to get up and do some actual service....
r2d2, ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:22 am

ARN ground operations appeared even more amateurish. I believe it was the exact word I used when I described it after my outbound flight from ARN.
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:53 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
As long as they use Menzies and aren't willing to pay them enough to have separate staff at checkin and the gate, they will never be able to get their flights out on time on a consistent basis.
Here's what I posted after my ARN-MIA flight in late December. Judging by the recent posts, the problem is still there.
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer View Post
AY uses Menzies for the ARN ground handling, and it appears that AY is simply not willing to pay Menzies enough to properly staff the handling of the flights.
Both the LAX and MIA flights are scheduled to depart at 14:25. That means that Menzies must staff two separate gates and handle the boarding of both flights at the same time. Had the flights been staggered by 1.5 - 2 hours the same Menzies staff could process one flight and then move to process the second one. But that's not what AY has chosen to do.
Since the bag drop doesn't close until 13:40, 45 minutes before departure, Menzies needs to keep some staff at the checkin desks until then instead of being able to move them to the gates at an earlier time.

[...]

The boarding could have been completed on time and we could have left on time if competent gate agents had started the document checks earlier.
Having to keep some staff at the checkin desks until the bag drop closed at 13:40 clearly impacted their ability to start the document checks on time, and having only two staff members handling a full flight took a very long time. Perhaps they could have had more staff if they didn't have to do the same thing at the LAX gate at the same time.
It all comes down to staffing and how much AY is willing to pay Menzies to provide enough staff to handle both the checkin and gate document checks for two flights leaving at the same time, and the gate document checks need to start before the checkin desks close.
But AY probably doesn't want to pay Menzies enough to make that happen...
I had some understanding for the increased workload associated with covid test result checking (at checkin for passengers originating at ARN and at the gate for connecting passengers) when I flew in December, but that has gone away now. Also, when I flew in December there were some staffing issues because of an increase in covid cases. That's not happening now.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Aug 18, 22 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 18, 22, 2:55 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, TK Elite Plus, A3 Gold, BT VIP, ITA Executive
It's amazing to see the amount of positive feedback coming the AY way. It's also surprising how QR is able to get their outstation ground staff up to professional standards, even when using an otherwise lazy contractor. I wonder if it's money talks issue and AY just bought the Scan&Bully package because it was on sale.
Old Aug 18, 22, 3:07 pm

I was also booked on a sunday HEL-ARN-LAX and got moved to the saturday morning flight with friday evening HEL-ARN. Does anyone know which hotel ay books for plats at ARN?
Old Aug 18, 22, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yrittaja View Post
I was also booked on a sunday HEL-ARN-LAX and got moved to the saturday morning flight with friday evening HEL-ARN. Does anyone know which hotel ay books for plats at ARN?
Could you move to a nonstop HEL-LAX on a day close to your original day?

Search this Thread