Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Great pics!

Originally Posted by CMK10
The Pork Ballotine was good though I'm not sure what that weird Finnish roll I selected was.
It's called karjalanpiirakka or Karelian pasty. A thin rye crust and a rice porridge filling. Speciality from eastern Finland. Typically, you'd put some eggbutter (combo of butter and hard-boiled eggs) on it, but you can enjoy it with butter only, or add a slice of ham, too. Quite good.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Halfway decent omelet. I do wish that a flight with a 5:15 PM arrival had a lunch/dinner type meal instead of breakfast.
Me, too. I completely fail to understand AY's logic here, and it has bothered me many times.

Leave NYC in the late afternoon, have dinner, arrive Finland in the morning and have breakfast. OK.

But leave Finland at midnight, have late dinner, arrive Singapore 12 hours later in the afternoon and have – what, breakfast? They serve the meal roughly 90-120 minutes prior to landing. If they go by Singapore time, it's late lunch time and if by Finnish time, it's early lunch time. That breakfast is screaming jetlag all over the place.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
AY6 Jan 4 2019 JFK-HEL
Flight was delayed 45 min inbound and schedule changed to 18:20 from the usual 17:45 by SMS from AY. Boarding kept being pushed back 10 minutes at a time until finally it began at 18:15 or so we thought... Extremely chaotic with boarding families with small children, which is understandable if it was infants but in this case they persisted on boarding each family in Y with kids older than 10. Many frustrated Priority passengers and the infamous Swissport staff was completely apathetic towards that comments like "You're gonna have to wait!".

By 19:00 we were ready to go until just after the jetbridge was pulled it was put back on again as they removed a family from Y with a heavily vomiting child and of course they had several checked bags so that took an hour to be taken care of. Didn't see much from 4A but I assume no paramedics were present.

Crew used the time to take meal orders on the ground which was much appreciated and something I wish would be a consistent thing in J. No refill on the PDB but chocolates were offered.

Once in the air we hit quite a chop for 30 or so minutes and that caused the crew to skip the amuse bouche and first drink which was another smart move so people could maximize sleep.

Appetizer was tasty and the main was edible but lackluster as is the usual when departing JFK in any cabin on any carrier.
Haagen Dazs ice cream was not rock hard this time so there was no need to wait for it to melt.

Breakfast had the main made from the same stale croissant that AA uses in Y as well as the generic yoghurt.

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I experienced a weird lunch service on AY5 (Helsinki to JFK). First they served the amuse bouche as usual, but then the rest (appetizer, salad and warm dish) on one go on the tray. The tray was so full that there was no place left for the bread (also served simultaneously). Then desert again separately, as usual. It was an extremely quick service, I was done with the whole lunch while still above Norway. I wish they would do it like this on the late evening departures, but why on AY5? Is this something new?

As an additional note, I tried the "Hear the taste" concept and as suggested, had the suggested soundscape with my Pork Ballotine. However, as expected, I failed to understand how the umami of the pork was intensified by the low sounds of the soundscape. What a load of crap.

Otherwise, the service was the "New Finnair" style, super nice and attentive. They also had a new concept, pre-landing champagne round. Good end to a great flight, despite of the strange lunch service.
vulle likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I like the idea of pre-landing champagne round. Last year, coming back from Asia, a flight attendant did this and he seemed proud of his invention, which he said he aims to do on every flight. He said it had started from a situation where he didn't want to waste an open bottle of champagne, which had lead into him having to open several new ones.
ffay005, vulle, mhle and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by mhle
I experienced a weird lunch service on AY5 (Helsinki to JFK). First they served the amuse bouche as usual, but then the rest (appetizer, salad and warm dish) on one go on the tray. The tray was so full that there was no place left for the bread (also served simultaneously). Then desert again separately, as usual. It was an extremely quick service, I was done with the whole lunch while still above Norway. I wish they would do it like this on the late evening departures, but why on AY5? Is this something new?
See my post above

I also had it like this that the appetizer and main was on one tray with cheese and dessert served as separate courses. I asked "my" FA about this and commented that to ORD everything was served separately and she replied with "Oh isn't it great! We don't need to rush this meal on such a short flight!, we have significantly more time to Chicago" which is absurd to me as AY5 is a daytime flight where customers normally are after a more elaborate meal...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As an additional note, I tried the "Hear the taste" concept and as suggested, had the suggested soundscape with my Pork Ballotine. However, as expected, I failed to understand how the umami of the pork was intensified by the low sounds of the soundscape. What a load of crap.
Oh no it works.
But, just like the seat block perk, mostly in your imagination

Originally Posted by loimu
I like the idea of pre-landing champagne round. Last year, coming back from Asia, a flight attendant did this and he seemed proud of his invention, which he said he aims to do on every flight. He said it had started from a situation where he didn't want to waste an open bottle of champagne, which had lead into him having to open several new ones.
^^^
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
If this was BKK, maybe the FA had read and been inspired by the crazy ”8 Doms” trip report down here on FT? Another pop in the galley...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I have my doubts regarding the speed of one-tray service. I had this poor service from BKK, during which even amuse bouche (same food as appetizer!) was placed on the tray. Compared to other flights it meant I had to wait over 1 hour for the first drink order instead of traditional 30-40 minutes. The full tray - incl. the drink - arrived around 1:15 into the flight, which I think is about the same timing as appetizer usually reaches my table. Even if I'm very optimistic, time savings from one-tray service are no more than 15 minutes. Let alone it makes you waiting longer for actually receiving at least a drink and amuse bouche.
Is it worth it? No. Does it support the whole experience? No. Is it easier for the crew? Yes. Here you go...
ffay005, Ed Size, esledo and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: AY LUMO
However, as expected, I failed to understand how the umami of the pork was intensified by the low sounds of the soundscape. What a load of crap.
Oh no, I've been laughing this all morning.
ffay005, mhle and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I also had it like this that the appetizer and main was on one tray with cheese and dessert served as separate courses. I asked "my" FA about this and commented that to ORD everything was served separately and she replied with "Oh isn't it great! We don't need to rush this meal on such a short flight!, we have significantly more time to Chicago" which is absurd to me as AY5 is a daytime flight where customers normally are after a more elaborate meal...
WhattalottaBS! But now they have 8:55 since they just stretched the schedule by 10 min, so maybe they can afford a proper meal service after the schedule change comes into effect
esledo, miamiflyer8 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
WhattalottaBS! But now they have 8:55 since they just stretched the schedule by 10 min, so maybe they can afford a proper meal service after the schedule change comes into effect
Could't agree more. The meal before landing should also be something more substantial since the sandwich was incredibly lackluster... Are they really that time strapped?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:53 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Last year I was approached twice by FA shortly before HEL, offering me one more glass of champagne.
"It would be shame to pour it away."
"I agree 100%, and I am willing to do my civic duty."
"Just a second."

How did they know to target me?
remymartin and cistavoda like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
This seems to be a “thing” - we had a mini-bottle offered HEL-LHR, which of course was accepted even though it was 9am.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:41 am

Are there any HEL-long haul early morning flight menus? I assume they will serve a breakfast and then dinner? For breakfast what do they serve for a seafood meal request?

thanks
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by londonexpert
Are there any HEL-long haul early morning flight menus? I assume they will serve a breakfast and then dinner? For breakfast what do they serve for a seafood meal request?

thanks
We're on the same flight. How was your breakfast? Mine was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.