Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Question avec

I see that in most of the menus after the first meal serving, there is "coffee, tea, avec"
What is "avec"?
In French it means "with" but with what?
Old May 10, 2018, 10:22 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by igel
I see that in most of the menus after the first meal serving, there is "coffee, tea, avec"
What is "avec"?
In French it means "with" but with what?
"Digestive" liquor like cognac, calvados etc
Old May 10, 2018, 11:13 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yup, this is french influence from the old days. Very common in Sweden and Finland, both colloquial and formal language. Apparently short for 'du café avec le petit verre'. Nowadays 'avec' has turned into a proper noun in our languages and is treated as such, people can say things like "can you fetch the avec?"

In some parts of Finland 'avec' has a second usage, corresponding to the english term 'plus one' on invitations. At some point in time FInnair lounge pages actually just said 'avec' instead of describing guest policy in detail!
SPBanker likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Also, I wonder if they go with the normal menu or actually have something special made for the inaugural one...
Did anyone hear if there is a special menu for AY105?

On MMB the only special was that you can order a bottle of Champagne for the flight for 45€. Why would you do that in J
Old May 11, 2018, 9:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Aviating
On MMB the only special was that you can order a bottle of Champagne for the flight for 45€. Why would you do that in J
To make sure they load enough to serve the platskus even when the social media influencers have gotten what they want...
cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:51 am

- deleted - uploading pictures didn't work

Last edited by casper79; May 14, 2018 at 1:58 am
Old May 14, 2018, 6:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

I've been away from Finnair for about 6 months, and I must say it looks to me that longhaul food has been upgraded a notch, quality and presentation.
Here are main course from AY105 to NKG. This is the inaugural flight, but it had no special food service. Instead, this is the menu for "Chinese week" which lasts one month (!).

Service was incredibly slow. But food was very good.

New cocktail list sees the "Blue skye" retired. Replaced with "Golden sky", quickly renamed by humorous FT'ers as golden shower. Champagne and cloudberry liqouer. First sip was very strange, but taste grew on me. (Or taste buds gave up)

Starter: Option gravlax. Salmon was good, but the real winner here was potato-salad beneith, kind of french style, fresh potatoe and vinaegrette mix.

Main option Smoked rainbow trout. Very nicely presented, great taste. Fish could have been sliglty more "oily" in my opinion, but was fine as is. Loved the fresh potatotes.

Detail
SPBanker, Steve_Hun and Sorte like this.

Last edited by intuition; May 14, 2018 at 6:06 am Reason: Not all pics worked. Will try later
Old May 14, 2018, 6:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Flight 106, NKG-HEL. Again "Chinese week" menu.

First service
Amuse
Not much taste (I wouldn't mind a bit of bite in a Amuse

Starter: Option Duck breast and shitake
Great presentation, great combination of textures.

Starter Duck and Shitake

Main option: Roulad?! Amazing taste. Sauce really lifted the dish

Marketing concept: The sonic flight
So together with food there are specail headphones with pre-recorded mp3 with "natural sounds to enhance taste". Did it work? Not sure it changed the taste, but it was an atmospheric experience, that's for sure.

Cheese: Locally source (china)
The green mould cheese had really a bite to it. Very intense and lovely. Dried peach (I think) was very good.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Flight 106, second service
I slept through the newly created "Fika" service, ie the afternoon coffe and cookies (but got revenge)

Light meal: Option chicken-couscous salad
Maybe not a winner, but nothing wrong with the meal. Just enough of the green stuff (I prefer salads to be more than just leaves). PLenty of couscous below.

Was offered cookies with the after meal coffe and opted for the Finnish apple cake, promised to be "a mouthful, very sweet and enough for you". I took the advice and wasn't disappointed.
Attached Images   
Old May 14, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
I've been away from Finnair for about 6 months, and I must say it looks to me that longhaul food has been upgraded a notch, quality and presentation.

New cocktail list sees the "Blue skye" retired. Replaced with "Golden sky", quickly renamed by humorous FT'ers as golden shower. Champagne and cloudberry liqouer. First sip was very strange, but taste grew on me. (Or taste buds gave up)
I agree, clear improvement on both short haul and long haul.

Blue sky has unfortunately disappeared from the cocktail list, but luckily they have ingredients for it if you know to ask! That golden sh... errr... sky is a bit too sweet to my taste, but if one asks to half the amount of cloudberry liqueur, it improves it alot!
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Some late field reports...

April 27, HEL-BKK. First, the menu.

The best thing about the starter was karjalanpiirakka (the karelian pie). Both the salmon and the accompanying horseradish were fine by themselves, but as a mix didn't work as well.

For the main course, I chose the fish. Yes, I know. Anyone who has seen the movie Airplane knows that you should never have fish on the airplane. Nevertheless, I did. And it was pretty much in line with what I've experienced previously from Finnair J when flying out of Helsinki: simple, humble looks, but extremely tasty.

And finally, dessert cheeses and ice cream. Of course at this point I'm drunk and tired so my judgment is less objective, but it still was nice.

A very satisfying flight overall, foodwise and otherwise. I've often been please with the food in Finnair's long-haul J flights to Asia and this was another pleasant experience.

Last edited by BlueNordicSky; Jun 7, 2018 at 2:39 pm Reason: (wrong flight destination corrected)
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
May menu. Finnair HEL-HKG on May 17.

Ummm... yea. I didn't take a picture of the menu. Stupid me. Amuse-bouche still same as before.

For the main course, I took the fish (again, I know I shouldn't). As the usual Finnair formula when flying out of HEL, it was plain-looking but very tasty. Nieriä, aka nordic char.

I actually prefer the foods flying out of HEL than coming back. Even places famous for great food like HKG and BKK don't quite match the tastiness of airplane food when stacked against HEL.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
The best thing about the starter was karjalanpiirakka (the karelian pie). Both the salmon and the accompanying horseradish were fine by themselves, but as a mix didn't work as well.
I guess taste is a very personal / subjective thing, but Tommy's gravlax on my HEL-BKK flight end of March was seriously one of the best things I've ever had on an airplane!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I didn’t take any photos, but I flew SFO-HEL-SFO a few weeks ago and thought the food was quite good. Not EK F, but certainly pretty tasty, even out of SFO. Food on the way back from HEL was very good, including the karjalanpiirakka or however you spell that, along with the Indian curry snack before landing.

Great crews too.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Flew SFO-HEL-PRG on A330 & A321 in J Service was great and food was pretty tasty FA accidentally gave me the wrong starter so I got to try both.

Amuse bouche

Starter 1

Salmon Main

Cheese.

Dessert.

"Sweet" breakfast.

HEL-PRG starter.

HEL-PRG main.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.