Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by niksal
[left]Well, I had completely missed this enhancement. ...
It was the downpayment for making juniors proper members, ie with ability to earn tiers.

For frequent juniors in Y I think it is an enhancement. They will now be able to go to lounge and not be forced to board last. Get a free drink, choose seat, surf the web and have extra bag.

OTOH, those issues could be taken care of by upgrading junior. The discount made it worth it, and you could use either junior's or your own points.

As it stands now, I think a junior below gold is worse off. But I guess we all can join the lumonatic and have one extra gold card to give away. Problem solved!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
As it stands now, I think a junior below gold is worse off. But I guess we all can join the lumonatic and have one extra gold card to give away. Problem solved!
Do note that award prices also were reduced 25% so most of us are anyway better off.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, I only looked at the changes in junior program.

There are several changes, so one must find the strategy suited best for each case. Anyway you look at it though, a award for a junior is more expensive than before. Family upgrade might be a better way than awards, but it only works if there is a platinum travelling with junior. A junior with a shorthaul commute is a totally differnt case than a junior flying to BKK with family. In the commute case, the gold/plat card for junior is much more valuable than the discounted award. In other cases, 50% discount on awards was much more valuable.

Awards has some caveats - cannot be booked with same day return for example. Booking junior in revenue and upgrading has no such limitations.
Also, unless junior is platinum, s/he might see less awards seats than before. (If parent was plat when calling in there always was seats for junior. Booking junior awards online I assume junior who is gold or below will see same availability as Tarja T)
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Tried searching but to no avail, wanted to confirm the following: is it true that AY won't check through baggage to flights operated by OW partners on separate tickets? I have an AY LH flight connecting onto KA regionally (MCT requirements met), and wondering if I'll have to manage with HBO.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It is true, yes.
SuloL likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:33 am
R2

If you're flying back KA->AY you won't have a problem getting your luggage checked through. Some airlines choose to offer good service to their customers while others don't. Please give feedback to AY on this, the more of us do it the better chance there is AY will change their policy.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by R2
Please give feedback to AY on this, the more of us do it the better chance there is AY will change their policy.
By all means do, but it hasn't helped so far.
It seems this policy was a very deliberate decision and one they are sticking to like super glue.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:09 am

Thanks for the quick replies! Due to my current flight arrangements, looks like I'll have to go 3 consecutive weeks of travel with hand-baggage only Quite a dismal service decision on AY's part, but it should provide for an interesting packing exercise.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Oh, don’t worry. I always fly HBO, be it for a weekend or a three-week trip. The only exception is when I fly back from the US because of too much shopping... But the bottom line is, you don’t really need that much extra for a three week trip compared to a one week trip. And you can always wash clothes at your destination, too, or buy an extra shirt along the way.

One tip: pack your worst underwear and socks and throw the away after use.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Oh, don’t worry. I always fly HBO, be it for a weekend or a three-week trip. The only exception is when I fly back from the US because of too much shopping... But the bottom line is, you don’t really need that much extra for a three week trip compared to a one week trip. And you can always wash clothes at your destination, too, or buy an extra shirt along the way.

One tip: pack your worst underwear and socks and throw the away after use.
Yeah, I'm probably exaggerating the problem. I also fly HBO only for all work trips, and most personal too. But coming to the wintery Finland provides its own challenge, i.e. have to bring clothing items that I would not otherwise need on the business part of the trip in Asia.

The second problem ofc is handling the christmas present expectations, as there's no way I'll fit anything additional into the single carry-on But I suppose that works well in avoiding the hoarding & receiving of all the useless stuff that happens around this time of the year.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:16 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Awards has some caveats - cannot be booked with same day return for example. Booking junior in revenue and upgrading has no such limitations.
Also, unless junior is platinum, s/he might see less awards seats than before. (If parent was plat when calling in there always was seats for junior. Booking junior awards online I assume junior who is gold or below will see same availability as Tarja T)
After AY launched ”Family & Friends”, I have always booked awards for all family members with my points (=Plat availability). After clearing, I transfer the points from different accounts to mine (if necessary).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Hello, I Usually fly BA for my journeys and I am currently silver status, but I need a quick journey home in January HEL > EDI because I am moving to a new house and cant just leave Mrs Colnic2011 to take care of this.

So I booked direct HEL > EDI on the 17th of Jan. I noticed the flight is operated by Nordic regional. I booked Finnair Light.

So my question is which of my Oneworld benefits will I still be able to use????
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

All.
Norra is a OW affiliate.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
ah perfect thank you for the quick reply
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
How much hassle will I have checking in a 30kg suitcase as a Finnair gold...

i know 23kg is the limit but does my status help me out here in any way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.