Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If I anticipated an issue with checked luggage, I probably would have added a stopover in HEL on the returnz. Would it be a huge cost to change the ticket to add an overnight stopover in HEL (i.e., change HEL-FRA to the next day? I guess the other option is not to check luggage.
You cannot imagine how many times I've cursed myself for not putting a stopover in HEL into this ticket... Now it would cost me 210€ / pax to move the HEL-FRA leg to a day when same booking class availability is there. So decided to suck it up and stay overnight in FRA, where I can get for ~100€ a room in many of the airport hotels.
flyingeph12 and esledo like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
FRA is a nice enough city for a short stopover. The train to the city takes some 20 min, there’s a pretty rebuilt old town and a pedestrian street with good shopping.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
What's your connection time in HEL on the inbound? I've never had any problems short-checking with AY.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by aama
What's your connection time in HEL on the inbound? I've never had any problems short-checking with AY.
I have 50 minutes from landing from LAX to take off to FRA.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I have 50 minutes from landing from LAX to take off to FRA.
Oh well, then it's a no go for short-check ofc
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by aama
In Feb MIA refused to short-check despite having an 18 hrs overnight connection at HEL. Airline policy so that people don’t skip the last leg and buy cheaper tickets, which would be unfair to the airline, they said.

They also said that HEL arrival service will be able to take the bag to the baggage claim when on an overnight connection even if it’s tagged to the final destination, which they did.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:42 pm
R2

Originally Posted by esledo
In Feb MIA refused to short-check despite having an 18 hrs overnight connection at HEL. Airline policy so that people don’t skip the last leg and buy cheaper tickets, which would be unfair to the airline, they said.
This is an(other) area where AY policy - if there is one - and its implementation is totally inconsistent. I've never had a problem short-checking when departing from HKG and BKK, however JFK did not allow it a few months ago.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I could shortcheck 2 weeks ago on shorthaul, only 1,5 hours layover in HEL
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I'm turning to you guys for help, as the good people of Kajaani were only confused, without any answer to my question...

I have an AY issued, AY operated ticket for the following route: FRA-HEL-SFO; LAX-HEL-FRA

I need to buy a HEL-FRA-HEL ticket to be able to actually fly it. For the first leg, it is not an issue, as based on info read here, I can ask the staff at HEL to check my suitcase straight to SFO, without the FRA detour, and even if not, for the morning flight there is ~2 hours in FRA between landing and take-off. However, I see issues with the return leg, as the turnaround time for the afternoon / evening flight to-from FRA is ~50 minutes, which would not be enough to collect the suitcase, check it in and pass through security again to catch the return flight.

I see two possibilities:

1, Short check suitcase in LAX to HEL, not bringing it to FRA and pick it up after returning from FRA the same evening

2, Ask the check-in agent at LAX to through-check my suitcase for LAX-HEL-FRA-HEL and hope that in FRA they don't get too confused about putting the suitcase back to the same flight they took it off from... Based on the published through-check policy of AY, this should be ok, as both tickets will be AY issued under 105 stock, AY marketed and AY operated.

Do you guys think that any of the above would work? Where can I find the MCT for FRA to see if the ~50 minutes would be enough or not?
BTW, just to report back on this issue.. Officially AY couldn't / wouldn't do anything, so was all prepared to fly all the way to FRA and back to HEL the next day. Arrived to LAX and asked the check-in agent at the J line if she would be able to short-check our luggage to HEL, skipping the HEL-FRA leg, as "our plans have changed". She was probably new there (or just simply new to AY, as route opened not so long ago) and asked help from her manager. She (the manager) said that it is possible and sorted out that we no longer were checked in for the HEL-FRA leg and the suitcases were also only tagged to HEL.

Not sure if this is policy, or was just pure luck, but it worked out for us.

On board though the printed manifast still had us connecting to FRA, as both the FA taking care of my aisle in J and the purser was ensuring us that we'll make it to our flight to FRA despite our delay, as there are ~15 pax connecting there and they'll hold the HEL-FRA flight for 20 minutes.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Any news on the policy for two seperate tickets on AY?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Any news on the policy for two seperate tickets on AY?
I was wondering the same. I have a flight LIS-HEL and then HEL-HKG 22 hours later on a separate ticket.... would love to not have to lug my bags around....
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by fairhsa
I was wondering the same. I have a flight LIS-HEL and then HEL-HKG 22 hours later on a separate ticket.... would love to not have to lug my bags around....
How did the flight go? Were any of the tickets on 105 stock?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I believe you can check in your bags at HEL 24 hours before your flight, so in worst case they should accept your bags right away. Please let us know if LIS agreed to check the bags all the wat to HKG.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Baggage allowance on separate tickets

I have a ticket with my companion (OWE+no status) flying AY inaugural DFW-HEL using AS miles in J (and then onward to LHR after a few days stopover). I'm going to meet with some friends at HEL, and planning to book a separate AY stocked, marketed, and operated economy light for 4 people from HEL-RVN a few hours after we land. I'm checking in 2 bags total, sounded like we can't thru-check our bags to RVN since the first leg is AS stock (but with inexperienced DFW staff, who know?), bummer but whatever.

1) At check in counter at HEL, do I get 1 bag (I'm OWE), 2 bags (we have a baggage receipt for 2 bags from DFW), 4 bags (OWE + 3 companion on economy light ticket), or 5 bags (coming from an international J ticket with a single OWE)? What's a good way to get some official response from AY so I can print it out and show the check in staff at HEL?

2) For my return flight RVN-HEL (my London onward flight happen a few more days after), do I get 1 (OWE), 4 (OWE + 3 companion), or 5 (showing international J ticket) bags?

3) I'm also assuming these above allowance would be 32kg, if I have to purchase extra, it'd be 23kg?

Kinda suck to gamble because there's such a large difference between online and airport baggage prices.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:03 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by The ITDA
I have a ticket with my companion (OWE+no status) flying AY inaugural DFW-HEL using AS miles in J (and then onward to LHR after a few days stopover). I'm going to meet with some friends at HEL, and planning to book a separate AY stocked, marketed, and operated economy light for 4 people from HEL-RVN a few hours after we land. I'm checking in 2 bags total, sounded like we can't thru-check our bags to RVN since the first leg is AS stock (but with inexperienced DFW staff, who know?), bummer but whatever.

1) At check in counter at HEL, do I get 1 bag (I'm OWE), 2 bags (we have a baggage receipt for 2 bags from DFW), 4 bags (OWE + 3 companion on economy light ticket), or 5 bags (coming from an international J ticket with a single OWE)? What's a good way to get some official response from AY so I can print it out and show the check in staff at HEL?

2) For my return flight RVN-HEL (my London onward flight happen a few more days after), do I get 1 (OWE), 4 (OWE + 3 companion), or 5 (showing international J ticket) bags?

3) I'm also assuming these above allowance would be 32kg, if I have to purchase extra, it'd be 23kg?

Kinda suck to gamble because there's such a large difference between online and airport baggage prices.
1) One bag, on AY the luggage perk is member only and not the entire PNR like AA or BA (I don't know about AS)

2) Same as 1

3) You will get 32kg, I don't think your companions will get 32kgs per policy.

Of course, you can try and reason with the agent(s) given you checked two bags from DFW but don't count on it working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.