Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by casper79
When do people typically check in?
It's a standing joke in my family, that by the time we get to the airport, all the Finns have already checked in. Actually true story - 60 mins before departure at BUD I was the only pax at the desk. "Empty flight?" "No, full flight, everyone already checked in"
Old May 31, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It depends on the airport. When I was 2.5h before the flight at TAY I was basically alone with the girls of the check-in for nearly an hour.
I am surprised the terminal was even open at that point...
Old May 31, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
At JFK, AY urges you to check in crazy early, and for some reason people believe this so they queue up three hours before the flight – or that's what I've heard. At that time, I'm not even on the E train platform in Manhattan yet. When I get to JFK, the check in area is always deserted. Bag drop, security & duty free takes no more than 15 minutes so there's ample time for showering in the Admirals Club before the hike to gate 4
Old May 31, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
KBV of course +2, not +3. So total is +27.
And NRT -4 so the total is +23 as compared with a reduction of 23.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
Arriving at the airport is a waste of time if you are a status member. Unless it's in HKG, then you need time to enjoy the à la carte lunch in the Cathay First Class lounge.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by ffay005
At JFK, AY urges you to check in crazy early, and for some reason people believe this so they queue up three hours before the flight – or that's what I've heard. At that time, I'm not even on the E train platform in Manhattan yet. When I get to JFK, the check in area is always deserted. Bag drop, security & duty free takes no more than 15 minutes so there's ample time for showering in the Admirals Club before the hike to gate 4
I hadn't flown out of T7 (BA) before. Bag drop, security and duty free took about 5 minutes - of which the shopping part was by far the longest. 1 person in front of me at the desk, likewise at security!
Old May 31, 2017, 11:54 pm

Ok, and I was wondering if I was too early at the airport ...

Indeed, JFK is very fast. Both T8 as T7 never took me more than 10 minutes between arriving and passed security control. But I was really stunned seeing empty checkin at 16:15 for a 17:40 flight.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:28 am

I have flown several times out of T8 with AA, and a few times with AY. I've never made it in 10 minutes through security. The elite line has always been around 20 minutes or so. Either you've been lucky, or I've been unlucky.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
I have flown several times out of T8 with AA, and a few times with AY. I've never made it in 10 minutes through security. The elite line has always been around 20 minutes or so. Either you've been lucky, or I've been unlucky.
Perhaps I was lucky...
- Nobody at Checkin.
- Elite line brought me all the way upfront
- security was extremely efficient, no need to take laptop or liquids out
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by casper79
Perhaps I was lucky...
- Nobody at Checkin.
- Elite line brought me all the way upfront
- security was extremely efficient, no need to take laptop or liquids out
I'd say you were lucky. Have a number of flights out of T8 behind me, but have never managed to get through security in less than 15 minutes. Average is more between 20-25 so far. And all this of course while using the priority security.

And regarding the no need to take laptop or liquids out, that is new for me, as from what I've seen they are rather strict with security @ JFK (probably unfortunately for a good reason) and as a SOP they shout at you in a borderline unacceptable manner (never happened to me though) if you don't follow all their rules automatically... Just on Monday e.g. the "lady" at security was shouting at the guy in front of me, like there is no tomorrow, because he dared to put his backpack into a tray.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
And regarding the no need to take laptop or liquids out, that is new for me, as from what I've seen they are rather strict with security @ JFK (probably unfortunately for a good reason) and as a SOP they shout at you in a borderline unacceptable manner (never happened to me though) if you don't follow all their rules automatically... Just on Monday e.g. the "lady" at security was shouting at the guy in front of me, like there is no tomorrow, because he dared to put his backpack into a tray.
The laptop/liquid thing around Easter this year. Shoes of course, is completely different
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by MagmaH
Arriving at the airport is a waste of time if you are a status member.
I wonder what status you have? Some secret Finnair Plus Rhodium tier? My Finnair Platinum does not include pick-up service: eventually, I have to arrive at the airport
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:14 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finnair’s Pekka Vauramo to be oneworld Governing Board Chairman
http://news.cision.com/finnair/r/fin...irman,c2281607

Wonder if this has any effect on OW as an alliance? I mean, Star has started an ambitious overhaul to make sure the alliance perks are really working across the alliance, while oneWolrd has become a rat's nest of exceptions and blunt disregard for alliance rules.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I wonder what status you have? Some secret Finnair Plus Rhodium tier? My Finnair Platinum does not include pick-up service: eventually, I have to arrive at the airport
Ooops, guess the word "early" disappeared :P It's a waste of time to arrive early. But I would not mind to get beamed up to the airplane from my house. "Beam me up Pekka".
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:22 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Sometimes when I learn something new, I wonder if everyone else knew about it already. To find out, I am here giving you today's quiz:

What Swedish territory did Finland acquire in the late 20th century? Russians had something to do with it (but I'm not sure that hint is very helpful).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.