Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by iamife
True no value here in Finland. Maybe it isnt all that easy for a Finn to get the card in the UK or USA without some sort of residency in these countries. No?

I meant the EUR or USD international card thats available even for Finnish residents!!

The 700€ MIGHT be okay if the family cards were also platinum not gold...

Over all I am fearful that gold fees will rise too... Now that Diners is useless in Finland not many options left
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Over all I am fearful that gold fees will rise too... Now that Diners is useless in Finland not many options left
... then back to the basic MC and Visa
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Now that Diners is useless in Finland not many options left
What do you mean, what has happened?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
What do you mean, what has happened?
Sorry I mean the so called basic Dinersclub card I wasnt very clear. If you do NOT cobrand the card with AY or SK (both programs I have effectively abandoned lately) there is no possibility to earn miles in Finland from Dinersclub, atleast as far as I can see from their web site... I have a AY Dinersclub but I will change that to the SK one just for lounge access till next year when my SK gold expires, I wont be renewing my SK gold as flying ZERO miles on SK 2013.

Would be good to see Diners have miles redemption possibilities with more then 2 airlines in this day and age, but as stated many times on this forum the possibilities offered in Finland are dismal at best
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by iamife
... then back to the basic MC and Visa
I was just looking at the amount of cards both basic gold/platinum and thinking I really need to consolidate as who really needs every possible card in their wallet I have both platinum Mastercard and Gold and have not used it for ANY purchase in over 2 years but since their is no fee I keep it... go figure, I have used the AY/SK cards but now I am scrambling to look for alternatives
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wont be renewing my SK gold as flying ZERO miles on SK 2013.

Would be good to see Diners have miles redemption possibilities with more then 2 airlines in this day and age, but as stated many times on this forum the possibilities offered in Finland are dismal at best
I fly very little on SK, but since Lufthansa made SEN practically unattainable (100% earnings on discount biz fares ) I put all *A flights to SK (and hope they'll survive) - they provide the best value for redemptions ex-FIN (think low intra-Scandinavia redemptions, think no-YQ)

My main program is BAEC and earning Gold there makes *G a very hit and miss affair even with SK - I'll just make it this month with only 1 week to spare.

When my AY gold expires, probably I'll give up Diners as well. I very rarely use its lounge access. The 2,5 AY+/€ points are good(ish) with no yearly fee, but once down to 2x and yearly fee, not worth keeping it.

My setup will be Amex as all-round card - the MR program is actually quite good and an SK cobranded MC for when Amex is not accepted.

Yes, when it comes to co-branded cards, we are even worse off than the Swedes are, and they aren't much spoiled either.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:33 pm

I fly very little on SK, but since Lufthansa made SEN practically unattainable (100% earnings on discount biz fares ) I put all *A flights to SK (and hope they'll survive) - they provide the best value for redemptions ex-FIN (think low intra-Scandinavia redemptions, think no-YQ)

My main program is BAEC and earning Gold there makes *G a very hit and miss affair even with SK - I'll just make it this month with only 1 week to spare.

When my AY gold expires, probably I'll give up Diners as well. I very rarely use its lounge access. The 2,5 AY+/€ points are good(ish) with no yearly fee, but once down to 2x and yearly fee, not worth keeping it.

My setup will be Amex as all-round card - the MR program is actually quite good and an SK cobranded MC for when Amex is not accepted.

Yes, when it comes to co-branded cards, we are even worse off than the Swedes are, and they aren't much spoiled either.

Sk redemtions are good, however the customer "service" to Finns is a joke now a days. After a super bad experience
I complained but got no satisfaction so I made it clear I wont spend 1€ on them until such time as they rectify it, ive kept my end of the bargain, now I just have to spend my stash

I recently changed my OW program to AA, so far im happy as even the lowest finnair fares gets 100% earnings. TK replaced SK for me time will show if it was worth it.

Its too bad AY doesnt put more into its own program, I will lose my AY gold in may...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sk redemtions are good, however the customer "service" to Finns is a joke now a days.
Service? What a strange word - I think I might have heard it somewhere...

I got totally p--sed off a few years back when it turned out that in FI they provided only a 0600 number - it was nearly 10x cheaper to make an international call to their STO number. They simply couldn't understand why this would upset anybody.

AA is not good for me as I never fly their metal, so no status. BAEC gives me emerald for the same amount of flying where I'd get (maybe) AY+ sapphire
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:12 am

Service? What a strange word - I think I might have heard it somewhere...

I got totally p--sed off a few years back when it turned out that in FI they provided only a 0600 number - it was nearly 10x cheaper to make an international call to their STO number. They simply couldn't understand why this would upset anybody.

AA is not good for me as I never fly their metal, so no status. BAEC gives me emerald for the same amount of flying where I'd get (maybe) AY+ sapphire

Luckily AA counts codeshares as flying on their metal

I tried BA but no status match nor challenge so not willing to start from scratch I fly generally back of the plane with sn occassional visit to the otherside so status cards make a huge difference formy flying experience, now I just have to figure out how to get AA miles from a credit card in Finland but I guess I have strayed waaaaaay off course for this thread so I do apologize to other readers
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Luckily AA counts codeshares as flying on their metal

I tried BA but no status match nor challenge so not willing to start from scratch I fly generally back of the plane with sn occassional visit to the otherside so status cards make a huge difference formy flying experience, now I just have to figure out how to get AA miles from a credit card in Finland but I guess I have strayed waaaaaay off course for this thread so I do apologize to other readers
Agree with you AA is the best OW programme for us who can still slum in Y! Now what I really dream of is AX opening up transfers to AA!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Agree with you AA is the best OW programme for us who can still slum in Y! Now what I really dream of is AX opening up transfers to AA!
Now that would indeed be great! I would deginately keep AX then. Who knows maybe well get lucky? A station manager in FRA hinted that tge aa flight hel-ord might become year round maybe if that happens theyll get on AX's radar
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically you can get AA miles for your AX FI spending - run it through either Club Carlson or Hilton Honours. The rate is so poor though, that it would make no sense at all.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:10 am

Now that would indeed be great! I would deginately keep AX then. Who knows maybe well get lucky? A station manager in FRA hinted that tge aa flight hel-ord might become year round maybe if that happens theyll get on AX's radar
^ for ORD!

Sadly, transfers from AX to AA don't even exist on the other side of the pond, so that would need to change first.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:59 pm

Technically you can get AA miles for your AX FI spending - run it through either Club Carlson or Hilton Honours. The rate is so poor though, that it would make no sense at all.
The consensus is - if you really must, go with SPG. 1 MR => SPG 1/3 *p => AA 1.25 miles.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remymartin
The consensus is - if you really must, go with SPG. 1 MR => SPG 1/3 *p => AA 1.25 miles.
Hoops, I didn't read that far down the hotel partner list, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.