Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 2:03 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If you connect at LHR, you are not hit by UK departure taxes
Yeah maybe it's just the fuel surcharges but they are hefty anyway..with BA I prefer upgrades.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
+30% bonus when transferring MR points to AY+ (Finland)

MR points transfer to AY+ has 30% bonus promotion now until 20.9.2013!

http://www.americanexpress.com/fi/fi/content/membership-rewards/rewards-catalog/item-239.html?om_rid=DoNFB$&om_mid=_BSMWZ3B80_I_8n&om_l id=amex6

Together with the TATL promotion this gives you HEL-JFK-HEL flights with only 77000 MR points! ^
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Never mind, misread the previous post
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Seems that AX had changed the conditions for Platinum Cards. With yearly fee comes also 1 additional Platinum card and up to 4 Gold Cards. I probably will apply Platinum or at least Gold.Will it be wise do apply through Alandsbanken or directly?Any friend recommendations for additional rewards points? Do they count also F&B additional Rewards points made in abroad?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
For the Finnish card, 1 additional card and 4 Golds have been a benefit for as long as I remember. There are 10-13k bonuses surfacing around constantly, PM me if you need help

I don't know about ÅAB as it's a separate branded card.

Didn't understand your last question about f&b reward points abroad.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Thank you! I presumed that they award F&B additional points for Gold card owners only in Finland.
I have been denied a few years ago Gold card even had triple of minimum salary required. Will try again now.

Last edited by Jaenks; Sep 16, 2013 at 7:40 am
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Has anyone been able to get the yearly fee waived with spend anymore?

Im getting grief from AMEX so looks like ill be shredding Amex too but I would have thought over 1000€ in merchant fees would be good for them

Just checking for reference if its worth the fight
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kauppias

Im getting grief from AMEX so looks like ill be shredding Amex too but I would have thought over 1000€ in merchant fees would be good for them

My renewal is in Dec and they don't seem to even charge the fee for the main card (earlier I had to call to have it credited back - true, I've put a s--tload of charges on it) The partner card fee of 70€ is charged, never been able to have it waived.

So I'd say a phone call is worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:24 am

~35k€/year was not enough for me in late 2012 after AX waiving it for me for ~10 years..but I have heard they have still waived the early fee for Gold cards for people with 50k-100k annual spend. For me they gave the corporate BS message that they "do not waive the fees anymore to anyone.." which was a clear lie...they tried all sorts of tricks like offering hotel vouchers etc. but wouldn't waive the yearly fee = I cancelled on the spot.

I had a break with AX and re-applied recently for 1st year at 0 eur. I will later see if I keep it or not..most likely not..I simply do not like their customer service attitude at all...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
My renewal is in Dec and they don't seem to even charge the fee for the main card (earlier I had to call to have it credited back - true, I've put a s--tload of charges on it) The partner card fee of 70€ is charged, never been able to have it waived.

So I'd say a phone call is worth it.
I did call but got the bs that they do not waive it for anyone... I countered that I KNOW for a fact thats not true but no dice...

I guess I have to cash in my MR points but to where

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
~35k€/year was not enough for me in late 2012 after AX waiving it for me for ~10 years..but I have heard they have still waived the early fee for Gold cards for people with 50k-100k annual spend. For me they gave the corporate BS message that they "do not waive the fees anymore to anyone.." which was a clear lie...they tried all sorts of tricks like offering hotel vouchers etc. but wouldn't waive the yearly fee = I cancelled on the spot.

I had a break with AX and re-applied recently for 1st year at 0 eur. I will later see if I keep it or not..most likely not..I simply do not like their customer service attitude at all...

They have a rather strong opinion about their card but im just not sure its worth it... I am just not sure what card would be good then...

SAS Mastercard is pretty useless to me as I stopped using SK last year for attitude reasons...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I guess I have to cash in my MR points but to where
I'd wait for the next BA bonus and change to the green card meanwhile.

On a similar note - at the meetup I was the only one who admitted to paying for the Plat card. How are you others circumventing the yearly fee?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:05 am

They have a rather strong opinion about their card but im just not sure its worth it... I am just not sure what card would be good then...

SAS Mastercard is pretty useless to me as I stopped using SK last year for attitude reasons...
This is a very good question...the Finnish CC market, especially for us frequent flyers/mileage addicts, is extremely dull and limited..

For me AY DC is relatively good option now to top up my AY account as I do not credit many flights to AY Plus but still want points for upgrades...it is very much up to your personal preference which one of the poor options is the best.

For someone eating out a lot at own expense the DC restaurant vouchers seem to offer great value as well..I know some people who really value those but that's somewhat outside the traditional FT perspective..
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
I'd wait for the next BA bonus and change to the green card meanwhile.

On a similar note - at the meetup I was the only one who admitted to paying for the Plat card. How are you others circumventing the yearly fee?
I might have paid the 450-500€ for the plat card with the gold cards and lounge access but never would do that at 700€ a year just too steep for me I was going to get the USD card but the application process was too much work so I gave up! 500usd would be an oksy yearly fee... The green card might be okay but not sure I want to give into AX

This is a very good question...the Finnish CC market, especially for us frequent flyers/mileage addicts, is extremely dull and limited..

For me AY DC is relatively good option now to top up my AY account as I do not credit many flights to AY Plus but still want points for upgrades...it is very much up to your personal preference which one of the poor options is the best.

For someone eating out a lot at own expense the DC restaurant vouchers seem to offer great value as well..I know some people who really value those but that's somewhat outside the traditional FT perspective..
I might have to look into the diners club but we will see... SAS points hold little value for me these days as I fly other airlines

I was considering the premium card but not sure
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:21 am

I might have to look into the diners club but we will see... SAS points hold little value for me these days as I fly other airlines

I was considering the premium card but not sure
Same here, SAS points are worth next to nothing to me at present.

Regarding DC Prem, I understood you cannot earn any FF points with that, only DC's own points. Didn't dig deeper to check if the insurance etc. are worth anything.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:01 am

Same here, SAS points are worth next to nothing to me at present.

Regarding DC Prem, I understood you cannot earn any FF points with that, only DC's own points. Didn't dig deeper to check if the insurance etc. are worth anything.
Hhonors is one option though not a good redemption but one does get finnair club membership with that, gives you access to lounge with 2 guests... Also free access to DC lounges?

But but but not sure might just get sk points for basic needs and see what comes around

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.