Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
https://www.americanexpress.com/fi/f...ance,concierge

Accor® Hotels-, Starwood® Hotels- sekä Carlson® Hotels -hotelliketjujen kanta-
asiakasohjelmat

Now we start talking Any idea whatSPG level they offer?
SPG gold
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Saturne-79
Did you know about this website www.americanexpress.fi/platinum ?
There you can find out all benefits, and even sign on to the different programs directly. Also under the Platinum events you can register for different events after they have been published.
In Finland the travel benefit is 100€ towards a hotel booking over 500€ booked through PTS.

Definitely the different hotel programs are not value for the 700€!! I appreciate the travel insurance for the whole family, and Priority Pass for 2 (+2) people.
No, I didn't. Thanks a bunch!

100€ for a hotel booking of 50 000 MR? Each time or only once?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Originally Posted by remymartin
100€ for a hotel booking of 50 000 MR? Each time or only once?
It is only once / membership year
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:28 am

It is only once / membership year
I don't see value in this benefit. Give me back the old price and take these kinds of "enhancements" back any day. The only enhancement I appreciate is guesting some on PP for free.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't see value in this benefit. Give me back the old price and take these kinds of "enhancements" back any day. The only enhancement I appreciate is guesting some on PP for free.
If you find a nice competitive rate through PTS, then it is nice to get 100€ back. For example if you find 3rd Night free from FHR hotels, then you can get the fee / Night quite competitive. +upgrade...

In Sweden they offer Highest status in Scandic for the centurion members. Why not giving 3rd floor for Platinum members..

What would be the best benefit you would like to have in Finland for plat card?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:39 am

If you find a nice competitive rate through PTS, then it is nice to get 100€ back. For example if you find 3rd Night free from FHR hotels, then you can get the fee / Night quite competitive. +upgrade...

In Sweden they offer Highest status in Scandic for the centurion members. Why not giving 3rd floor for Platinum members..

What would be the best benefit you would like to have in Finland for plat card?
In the UK they were giving away Marco Polo Gold (OWS) to Plat members. Now that's a fantastic benefit. Something like that with AY (this being the AY board and all) would seem great value.

In the US the card is $450 (half of what it is here) and you get airline credit. And 2pts / dollar. Go figure...

ps. anyone going to the Tennispalatsi event tomorrow?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

In the UK they were giving away Marco Polo Gold (OWS) to Plat members. Now that's a fantastic benefit. Something like that with AY (this being the AY board and all) would seem great value.

In the US the card is $450 (half of what it is here) and you get airline credit. And 2pts / dollar. Go figure...

ps. anyone going to the Tennispalatsi event tomorrow?
Luckily I was able to get the Cathay gold through The UK Platinum site before they closed that page from access outside UK...

Of course, AY gold would be great benefit!! Not seeing that to happen soon...

No movies, as I am babysittering my son...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:59 am

Luckily I was able to get the Cathay gold through The UK Platinum site before they closed that page from access outside UK...

Of course, AY gold would be great benefit!! Not seeing that to happen soon...

No movies, as I am babysittering my son...

Lucky you!! (CX Gold ) Didn't know they opened holes like that. Have you found a site to check FHR rates without calling, btw?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Lucky you!! (CX Gold ) Didn't know they opened holes like that. Have you found a site to check FHR rates without calling, btw?
Yeah, it was amazing hole at their website, I think it was three years ago. And just got one more year with that. (And of course thanks to FT that I found that!)

No, I haven't found a website for the FHR rates, unfortunately. Usually those Are not so good, but If you find a good deal with free extra nights, then it goes well with The extra benefits.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:55 am

No, I haven't found a website for the FHR rates, unfortunately. Usually those Are not so good, but If you find a good deal with free extra nights, then it goes well with The extra benefits.
I think you stay too long - 1 night stays at FHR rates are typically exceptional value! It really depends on stay patterns. Another reason I like FHR is they're elite eligible with most (all?) chains.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
However, probably changing the card to the one from Ålandsbanken, as they give their premium banking on top off the platinum amex.
Does the Ålandsbanken Amex include all the same benefits as the "normal" one? The Premium Banking includes Ålandsbanken's own travel insurance (which doesn't require you to pay with their card), concierge service and some kind of hotel and restaurant program. Have the removed the corresponding Amex services or do you basically get twice the bang for your buck?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mebe
Does the Ålandsbanken Amex include all the same benefits as the "normal" one? The Premium Banking includes Ålandsbanken's own travel insurance (which doesn't require you to pay with their card), concierge service and some kind of hotel and restaurant program. Have the removed the corresponding Amex services or do you basically get twice the bang for your buck?
According to the Amex it includes all the same services as "normal" plat card through Amex. Customer service is same and invoice comes through Amex. You can transfer your MR points to ÅB Amex. Only difference is that it says Ålandsbanken in the card. But you get their premium banking "free" when having plat Amex. That includes MasterCard premium gold, where you have also Travel insurance, and Jade-hotel&restaurant program. I am not familiar yet what that includes... But I will report that If/when applying for that.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
But you get their premium banking "free" when having plat Amex. That includes MasterCard premium gold, where you have also Travel insurance, and Jade-hotel&restaurant program. I am not familiar yet what that includes...
I did a bit of googling and found an old Premium magazine second), an old Premium bulletin and a thesis that describe the benefits in slightly more detail. There is also a screenshot on Ålandsbanken's webpage that reveals a bit from their Premium online service. The Financial Ombudsman Bureau has just published a study on credit card travel insurances that includes Ålandsbanken's MasterCard. All these materials are unfortunately only available in Finnish.

Some notes:
  • In 2010 the MasterCard was free only up to a credit limit of 800e
  • The Jade program gives you 15% discount in restaurants for six people in Finland and four people in Europe. A list of restaurants participating in Finland in 2009 is included at the back of the magazine. It's not spectacular, but not completely useless either. There seems to be a Jade dining program in the UK managed by Lastminute.com. I couldn't figure out if it's the same program.
  • Discount in hotels is 10-60% and the list includes "about 100,000 properties all around the world"
  • Car rental is available through Budget
  • Tickets to concerts and other events are sometimes offered with a discount. Tickets are offered through the Concierge service similarly to Amex Invites
  • According to the thesis, a lot of the customers think that it's easier and cheaper to find hotels, trips and event tickets through other channels (the Internet) than from the Premium banking services. Hopefully Ålandsbanken has learned from the study they commissioned...
  • Ålandsbanken's travel insurance is valid even if you haven't paid with their card, so you can use that for the trips when Amex insurance isn't valid (namely, when you pay with miles)
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mebe
I did a bit of googling and found an old Premium magazine second), an old Premium bulletin and a thesis that describe the benefits in slightly more detail. There is also a screenshot on Ålandsbanken's webpage that reveals a bit from their Premium online service. The Financial Ombudsman Bureau has just published a study on credit card travel insurances that includes Ålandsbanken's MasterCard. All these materials are unfortunately only available in Finnish.

Some notes:
  • In 2010 the MasterCard was free only up to a credit limit of 800e
  • The Jade program gives you 15% discount in restaurants for six people in Finland and four people in Europe. A list of restaurants participating in Finland in 2009 is included at the back of the magazine. It's not spectacular, but not completely useless either. There seems to be a Jade dining program in the UK managed by Lastminute.com. I couldn't figure out if it's the same program.
  • Discount in hotels is 10-60% and the list includes "about 100,000 properties all around the world"
  • Car rental is available through Budget
  • Tickets to concerts and other events are sometimes offered with a discount. Tickets are offered through the Concierge service similarly to Amex Invites
  • According to the thesis, a lot of the customers think that it's easier and cheaper to find hotels, trips and event tickets through other channels (the Internet) than from the Premium banking services. Hopefully Ålandsbanken has learned from the study they commissioned...
  • Ålandsbanken's travel insurance is valid even if you haven't paid with their card, so you can use that for the trips when Amex insurance isn't valid (namely, when you pay with miles)

Great Work mebe!
Will let you know further details after applying this card. Might take until April though..
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just wanted to give heads up for anyone interested, and thought this would fit in here:

AMEX Gold card first year free and 10 000 MR points are currently on offer until end of March. I just got an offer and sadly enough I had applied for one in Dec-2013 which just arrived two weeks ago so I am gonna miss those 10k points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.