Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
These perks are not listed on the Amex FI site at all.

Carlson Gold is not much of a perk as they seem to match all comers. SPG Gold is nice
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:51 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Hilton gold card offer was good for one year only. Have to earn it the hard way in Europe. Requirements for gold and diamond also went up this year
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:17 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
It's been discussed to death but I cannot do anything but wonder why on earth would someone pay 550eur for the AX PLT in Finland..maybe just for bragging purposes?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
It's been discussed to death but I cannot do anything but wonder why on earth would someone pay 550eur for the AX PLT in Finland..maybe just for bragging purposes?
The MR earning is somewhat better than with Gold.

I don't know if the concierge service is of any value to some - I have the gut feeling that Finns are not very good at using such a service.

The insurance - well, it's been discussed here, that it's been downgraded

So I agree - I see no 550€ value for the card over a free Gold. If you have a partner card AND don't get the Gold free, the equation is somewhat different, partner card being free with Plat: 550€ vs 240€ (170€+70€)

I tried to negotiate (well, not really negotiate, just asking over the phone) for getting it free, they declined.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:18 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Bragging purposes of course, and it is also nice to have in the card member since 92, to distinguish from the new money . Those days even obtaining the green card required considerable earnings and had to be demonstrated by sending in a tax statement.

Travel insurance used to be good. And still is good when buying the leisure travel using the card. Partner card is nice. Five additional gold cards are nice.

And particularly nice is the free PP prestige for two people.

Conversion rate to BA Avios is also tolerable, sometimes with bonus offers, even good.

Style begins with shiny shoes, nice watch, and classy plastics!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:58 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
Bragging purposes of course, and it is also nice to have in the card member since 92, to distinguish from the new money . Those days even obtaining the green card required considerable earnings and had to be demonstrated by sending in a tax statement.
I absolutely love your honesty and attitude! Not all things in life need to make practical/financial sense! ^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I thought it was Carlson Silver Elite, not gold? And that was valid for only 6 months

In e.g. the UK you still get the A-Club Plat card with AX Plt. I don't know why they axed it here.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:33 am

AX Plt revamped :td:

Just got snailmail today.

Summary:
  • Priority Pass now free for first guest too ^
  • Comp'd Accor LeClub Plat card
  • 100€ credit when booking from their travel magazine
  • Preferred Golf programme
  • Price now 700€ effective 15th May

Customer service isn't that great these days and the insurance programme was severely diluted this year. I don't see the additions explain the price increase.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:49 am
TTL

Something more yet:

AA Admirals club / US Airways Club / Delta Sky Club entrance for plat card holder + two guests.

Apart from Accor Plus Plat, also SPG Gold for plat card + partner card holders.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Something more yet:

AA Admirals club / US Airways Club / Delta Sky Club entrance for plat card holder + two guests.

Apart from Accor Plus Plat, also SPG Gold for plat card + partner card holders.
True, missed the lounge access updates.

SPG Gold has been around for as long as I remember, but is the partner card a new benefit?

Also noticed the Carlson card is now Gold Elite instead of Silver Elite ^ but HHonors Gold has been dropped altogether
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPG Gold is good.

Carlson is also good, but for that you don't need a 700€ fee AMEX, roughly said it is enough if you have a golden video rental card, they'll match it

Accor Plat is given away nearly continously, also no reason for 700€ outlay of money
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
[*]Price now 700€ effective 15th May
You're kidding right? Now who would pay 700€ to use a plastic?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by iamife
You're kidding right? Now who would pay 700€ to use a plastic?
One can get Amex plat USD card from the UK for "only" 550usd still 423€ is better then 700!!! Too bad theres no great alternatives in Finland that offer value for use...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
One can get Amex plat USD card from the UK for "only" 550usd still 423€ is better then 700!!! Too bad theres no great alternatives in Finland that offer value for use...
True no value here in Finland. Maybe it isnt all that easy for a Finn to get the card in the UK or USA without some sort of residency in these countries. No?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:26 am

The US card is actually 450usd. Meaning we now pay DOUBLE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.