Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:12 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
I will not cancel. I consider "member since 92" too valuable to loose. Work related travel is on employerīs expense, so the delays are no big deal and do not have any checked in luggage usually. Apparently I will have to be more active in using the card for leisure travel... The black card should be available in Finland soon and I rest my faith in the travel insurance coming along with that and the €5grand annual fee . Black Diners travel insurance demands 100% of the costs to be paid by the very same card and the fine print along with compensations looks much worse.

All in all, the Amex service is going down. Most aggravating factor is the telephone contact nowadays. I hope they could in the future keep the plat line clear of any number tapping and add some priority in answering. 4 to 5% overhead in spending should well cover those expenses.

I do not know if it is a personal perk but my Hilton gold membership has been going on for year after year even though not reaching the 15 stay limit every year. I suspect plat Amex (and once without asking terminated Hilton Gold Amex side card) may have something to do with that... The same thing with black Diners and the AY club membership, which was a nice gesture!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by TTL
The black card should be available in Finland soon and I rest my faith in the travel insurance coming along with that and the €5grand annual fee .
The black card has been "available" for years in Finland, although only by invitation. As far as I know, the black AmEx is invitation only worldwide.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Originally Posted by TTL

All in all, the Amex service is going down. Most aggravating factor is the telephone contact nowadays. I hope they could in the future keep the plat line clear of any number tapping and add some priority in answering. 4 to 5% overhead in spending should well cover those expenses.!
If you press 0 before entering your card number it should go directly to agent. This is what they told me when gave complaint about dialing 20 numbers before answering phone.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sakari1707
I'm pretty sure I'll cancell my card.
I'm really interested to see how they will reply to my query.

We did several RTW trips recently and I gave them an example, the easiest one. We had an incident during that trip where we used Amex insurance.

The example trip included flights booked with credit card, with frequent flyers, and an RTW ticket but the actual trip used only 4 of the total 16 flights. We chartered a plane in Namibia for a day. The safari lodges often included all the meals and safari drives -- if not payable by Amex, they are pretty expensive compared to an ordinary accommodation-only hotel cost that takes Amex. We booked flights and accommodation on the go -- it took a month or two after we returned to know the total cost. A dozen different currencies make it even more interesting to calculate.

Or what about a cruise to Antarctica where accommodation is part of the total cost that includes everything..

If one books an all-inclusive packaged holiday the 75% rule is easy but if one actually travels, it's a nightmare.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Thanks to Platinum, got a MPC Gold card....
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Originally Posted by Saturne-79
Thanks to Platinum, got a MPC Gold card....
Is your Platinum through Amex Finland or maybe UK?
Have never heard of anything such with Amex Finland....
Its only SPG Gold (which is renewed regardless of use) and that's it.
Hertz No. 1 Gold etc. you can get easily from elsewhere as well.

The offerings in Finland are very very limited....
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sakari1707
Is your Platinum through Amex Finland or maybe UK?
Have never heard of anything such with Amex Finland....
Its only SPG Gold (which is renewed regardless of use) and that's it.
Hertz No. 1 Gold etc. you can get easily from elsewhere as well.

The offerings in Finland are very very limited....
My card is from AX Finland, but MPC was through AX UK. Instructions from Amex MR forum or PM me.
From AX Finland you got nothing, ever.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
AEXP insurance

Hi all,

I just registered to follow up on the Amex insurance changes that are now in effect. There aren't many sites you can discuss this change on..

Effectively I just lost my travel insurance. To me it seems that Amex (or rather its insurance partner, whoever that is at the moment) can finetune its T&C to its liking however and whenever it pleases.

What's the point of having an insurance that only works in certain conditions - if your trip is paid with an Amex card for atleast 75% of its worth. How the heck do they even define a "trip", in my opinion it'll include trains, buses, taxis etc too.

So fellow FT amex cardholders, what do we do? go on strike?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:30 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by remymartin
Effectively I just lost my travel insurance. To me it seems that Amex (or rather its insurance partner, whoever that is at the moment) can finetune its T&C to its liking however and whenever it pleases.

Welcome to the Forum! There are lots of other things to discuss as well

But, an effective measure would be to keep the card and reduce its use to minimum. That way Amex will receive least revenue. I have been doing that for a while now. And certainly have let the Amex customer "service" know why that is.

Edit: Where I think Amex Finland does its best to devalue the card, is the desperate and cheap pushing of Gold card to every passer by at Helsinki airport. Perhaps they would need some refocusing of the putative clientele. But with the current state of affairs, I am afraid Amex is a dying brand.

Last edited by TTL; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:54 am
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Hi all,

I just registered to follow up on the Amex insurance changes that are now in effect. There aren't many sites you can discuss this change on..

What's the point of having an insurance that only works in certain conditions - if your trip is paid with an Amex card for atleast 75% of its worth. How the heck do they even define a "trip", in my opinion it'll include trains, buses, taxis etc too.

Welcome remymartin to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by TTL
Welcome to the Forum! There are lots of other things to discuss as well

But, an effective measure would be to keep the card and reduce its use to minimum. That way Amex will receive least revenue. I have been doing that for a while now. And certainly have let the Amex customer "service" know why that is.

Edit: Where I think Amex Finland does its best to devalue the card, is the desperate and cheap pushing of Gold card to every passer by at Helsinki airport. Perhaps they would need some refocusing of the putative clientele. But with the current state of affairs, I am afraid Amex is a dying brand.
I have both ringed and e-mailed Amex twice regarding this and have been promised answers by customer service - though no answers have been forthcoming to my (admittedly) quite detailed insurance questions. Unbelievably bad customer care, I guess I will send an e-mail to Amex country manager Tommi Lassila at some point but I wonder if I ever will get an answer from him either.

Unfortunately the credit card market is really lousy in Finland and there aren't any great alternatives now when Amex has joined the race to the bottom...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:45 am

insurance

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure 550e a year for *not* using the card is worth it. Priopass and spggold are good, but maybe not that good.

I totally agree re service - I called the concierge recently for a restaurant reservation (romantic evening with the lady) and some of the suggestions I got I wouldn't go to even if the meal were free!

Do you guys have separate travel insurances as well or how do we sort this insurance thing out?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by tentativetraveller
I think I pay a little bit less than 100e for my travel insurance per year from Tapiola (covers max 3month long trips). What additional stuff you get with extra 450e you spend on AMEX plat?

I'v AMEX Gold, MC Gold and S Visa. All "free" (except see my previous post about AMEX) and would not pay for any of them since I don't see any extra value in them. But maybe I've overlooked something useful?
Any comments for this? I'm wondering if I missed some important benefit of AMEX plat...

edit: hmm... I think also my Master Gold has a travel insurance.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:38 am
TTL

The benefits were Plat card for self + spouse + Gold cards for 5 kids with the same charge, 2 PriorityPass prestige cards (free entrance to PP lounges for self + spouse, unlimited number of occasions) and the hotel loyalty card benefits (for me HH Gold, for someone else SPG Gold).

The travel insurance used to be the thing. All the cardholders were covered irrespective of travel arrangements and payment types. The insurance benefits were also outstanding compared to rival cardīs insurances. Of course, if you pay your travel with Plat card, this will not change - although I have not yet gone through all the fine print in the new terms and conditions.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by TTL
The benefits were Plat card for self + spouse + Gold cards for 5 kids with the same charge, 2 PriorityPass prestige cards (free entrance to PP lounges for self + spouse, unlimited number of occasions) and the hotel loyalty card benefits (for me HH Gold, for someone else SPG Gold).

The travel insurance used to be the thing. All the cardholders were covered irrespective of travel arrangements and payment types. The insurance benefits were also outstanding compared to rival cardīs insurances. Of course, if you pay your travel with Plat card, this will not change - although I have not yet gone through all the fine print in the new terms and conditions.
+ the stop service / key chain thing which I quite like.

You can get both the HH and SPG gold cards. The SPG Gold doesn't expire but HH is more aggressive - I lost both the Gold status and all my points when I didn't use it for over 6 months.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

+ the stop service / key chain thing which I quite like.

You can get both the HH and SPG gold cards. The SPG Gold doesn't expire but HH is more aggressive - I lost both the Gold status and all my points when I didn't use it for over 6 months.
How/why did you lost your points? Together with the status, or why?
My HH gold is expirint next month and I do not want my points to get lost...

What is stop service / key chain??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.