Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Important Change to Your Fairmont President's Club Membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important Change to Your Fairmont President's Club Membership

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Eagle_traveler
I am wondering how are you going to use your last FPC certificates? What properties? What king of upgrades?

I am looking for ideas to maximize the value.

I was thinking on going to Banff but the rates are a little higher than what I wanted to pay

Instead I might go to the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel on a corporate rate and use a suite upgrade... and then use my two free nights at the Pacific Rim and use room/suite upgrades. Anyone stayed at the Vancouver Hotel since their renovations? I stayed at the Pacific Rim and the Waterfront before and I enjoyed my stays.

I kind of want to use my certificates in a city where it makes sense to stay in a Fairmont. As an example, I want to visit Chicago soon, but the Fairmont there doesn't seem special, so I would feel like I wasted my certificates.
I've already used a couple Suite Upgrades. I'm using 4 free nights this August at Banff, in conjunction with 2 suite upgrade certs (booking two 1-Bedroom suites for 4 people total). Then using Suite upgrade at Lake Louise to get a 2-Bedroom Lakeview Suite the week after Banff. Then using 2 more Suite Upgrades at Lake Louise and another at Banff again, both in winter.

I don't plan to use any of my Room Upgrades.

I hope to use the whack of Accor points I'll earn at the same time, against my Gold Room bookings at Tremblant (where I can never use certs) in January and again in March.

In the end, those upcoming bookings will probably still cost me about $28k, but without the FPC upgrade and free night certs, it would be one heck of a lot more, so I'm getting fantastic value in my final year in the FPC. The value of the Accor points and the discount from the LifeExperience certificates will bring down that cost even more.
Brendan and Eagle_traveler like this.

Last edited by CanadaDH; May 20, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I've already used a couple Suite Upgrades. I'm using 4 free nights this August at Banff, in conjunction with 2 suite upgrade certs (booking two 1-Bedroom suites for 4 people total). Then using Suite upgrade at Lake Louise to get a 2-Bedroom Lakeview Suite the week after Banff. Then using 2 more Suite Upgrades at Lake Louise and another at Banff again, both in winter.

I don't plan to use any of my Room Upgrades.

I hope to use the whack of Accor points I'll earn at the same time, against my Gold Room bookings at Tremblant (where I can never use certs) in January and again in March.

In the end, those upcoming bookings will probably still cost me about $28k, but without the FPC upgrade and free night certs, it would be one heck of a lot more, so I'm getting fantastic value in my final year in the FPC. The value of the Accor points and the discount from the LifeExperience certificates will bring down that cost even more.
Wow, seems like a nice year for you

How is Fairmont Gold at Tremblant?
Old May 20, 2018, 10:26 pm

Wow, seems like a nice year for you

How is Fairmont Gold at Tremblant?
It's my favourite Gold product of any Fairmont I've stayed at. It's not the fanciest of Fairmonts, and the rooms could certainly use some updating (which I believe is in the plans), but the service there is top-notch. There are only 20 rooms on the Gold floor. The lounge is never overcrowded, and the staff get to know the guests very well. Many of the guest are regulars, as we often see many of the same people in the lounge year after year. It has a nice casual ski lodge feel, which is fitting, since it's, well, at a ski-resort. I look at it as one of the best value ski resort options out there. Ski-in/ski-out hotel, with great facilities, wonderful new restaurant, fantastic pools, and Fairmont Gold rooms for much less than the cost of Fairmont Gold at Whistler or Banff. I've got a couple of weeks booked for Jan and Mar on a flexible CAA rate of only $387/night!

If last year's reno of the spa and the main restaurant is any indication, whatever they eventually do to the Gold floor should be pretty nice.

Old May 21, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I am wondering how are you going to use your last FPC certificates? What properties? What king of upgrades?

I am looking for ideas to maximize the value.

I was thinking on going to Banff but the rates are a little higher than what I wanted to pay

Instead I might go to the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel on a corporate rate and use a suite upgrade... and then use my two free nights at the Pacific Rim and use room/suite upgrades. Anyone stayed at the Vancouver Hotel since their renovations? I stayed at the Pacific Rim and the Waterfront before and I enjoyed my stays.

I kind of want to use my certificates in a city where it makes sense to stay in a Fairmont. As an example, I want to visit Chicago soon, but the Fairmont there doesn't seem special, so I would feel like I wasted my certificates.
For sure, Fairmont Singapore! Suite upgrade gets you entrance to the lounge, plus you have a choice of having breakfast in the lounge, poolside restaurant or Prego buffet. The view from the lounge is spectacular. Get to see Singapore's stunning skyline including the Marina Bay Sands.

The suites are beautiful and I have been upgraded to a penthouse suite 4 times during the last 3 years.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:08 am

It's my favourite Gold product of any Fairmont I've stayed at. It's not the fanciest of Fairmonts, and the rooms could certainly use some updating (which I believe is in the plans), but the service there is top-notch. There are only 20 rooms on the Gold floor. The lounge is never overcrowded, and the staff get to know the guests very well. Many of the guest are regulars, as we often see many of the same people in the lounge year after year. It has a nice casual ski lodge feel, which is fitting, since it's, well, at a ski-resort. I look at it as one of the best value ski resort options out there. Ski-in/ski-out hotel, with great facilities, wonderful new restaurant, fantastic pools, and Fairmont Gold rooms for much less than the cost of Fairmont Gold at Whistler or Banff. I've got a couple of weeks booked for Jan and Mar on a flexible CAA rate of only $387/night!

If last year's reno of the spa and the main restaurant is any indication, whatever they eventually do to the Gold floor should be pretty nice.

Nice! Thanks for the pics!
Last October the hotel assigned me a room on the Gold floor but the lounge was closed. I guess now I will have to plan a stay next winter to try the lounge
I agree, their reno is pretty nice, I hope they will update the rooms soon.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
For sure, Fairmont Singapore! Suite upgrade gets you entrance to the lounge, plus you have a choice of having breakfast in the lounge, poolside restaurant or Prego buffet. The view from the lounge is spectacular. Get to see Singapore's stunning skyline including the Marina Bay Sands.

The suites are beautiful and I have been upgraded to a penthouse suite 4 times during the last 3 years.
That sounds nice! I will look into that!
Are you going there this year before the end of FPC?
Old May 21, 2018, 9:42 am

Nice! Thanks for the pics!
Last October the hotel assigned me a room on the Gold floor but the lounge was closed. I guess now I will have to plan a stay next winter to try the lounge
I agree, their reno is pretty nice, I hope they will update the rooms soon.
True, Tremblant only sells Fairmont Gold from mid-December through the end of ski season, so the lounge stays closed most of the year. They still make use of the 7th floor rooms, but with the lounge being closed, they're just sold as regular room categories. Apparently, they are reviewing the Gold product to see if there is demand to open it other times of the year. Fall hiking and biking is very popular in the area. I was told there is a formula based on revenue they use to evaluate what renovations get done. One of the reasons they haven't renovated the Gold lounge (they did renovate the kitchen/servery area), is because it's open such a short time of the year. By selling the product year-round (or, more of the year), they have a larger budget to allocate. Personally, I like the lounge the way it is; but maybe just some new chairs. I just want to see them renovate the guest rooms.

A few years ago, they held off selling Gold for the upcoming winter season, as they were considering whether they continue to offer Gold at all there. Now, they're considering expanding the product (not the size/number of rooms, but the times it's offered). The swings of the tourism industry and the USD/CAD exchange rate I guess. I used to be able to get Fairmont Gold there for just mid-$200s per night (CAA rate), and most times now it's more than double that, but still a very good deal by comparison to other ski options. My advice booking here is, book a flexible reservation early, and keep watching the rates. They seem to bounce around a lot, from the mid-$300s to over $700.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:18 am

True, Tremblant only sells Fairmont Gold from mid-December through the end of ski season, so the lounge stays closed most of the year. They still make use of the 7th floor rooms, but with the lounge being closed, they're just sold as regular room categories. Apparently, they are reviewing the Gold product to see if there is demand to open it other times of the year. Fall hiking and biking is very popular in the area. I was told there is a formula based on revenue they use to evaluate what renovations get done. One of the reasons they haven't renovated the Gold lounge (they did renovate the kitchen/servery area), is because it's open such a short time of the year. By selling the product year-round (or, more of the year), they have a larger budget to allocate. Personally, I like the lounge the way it is; but maybe just some new chairs. I just want to see them renovate the guest rooms.

A few years ago, they held off selling Gold for the upcoming winter season, as they were considering whether they continue to offer Gold at all there. Now, they're considering expanding the product (not the size/number of rooms, but the times it's offered). The swings of the tourism industry and the USD/CAD exchange rate I guess. I used to be able to get Fairmont Gold there for just mid-$200s per night (CAA rate), and most times now it's more than double that, but still a very good deal by comparison to other ski options. My advice booking here is, book a flexible reservation early, and keep watching the rates. They seem to bounce around a lot, from the mid-$300s to over $700.
Thanks for the tips
Old May 22, 2018, 4:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
It is nice to see a couple of sking options in USA/Canada. The prices seem reasonable 300-500USD per night if it is a ski on ski off hotel. These skiing hotels don't usually package like half board with the booking like in Europe? Generally the hotels in France start at around 250 Euro's per night. Not so fancy but ski in and out is most important.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
That sounds nice! I will look into that!
Are you going there this year before the end of FPC?
Already booked for the Jan SIN do. I may be going in Oct as well.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I was there in November for 4 nights, but only got a Junior Penthouse suite which was still pretty damn amazing. The bathroom was the size of some hotel rooms I have stayed in. There is a freaking walk in closet! I would go back there again in a heartbeat! I stayed at Banff in a suite, and Singapore beat it all to heck!
Brendan and margarita girl like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:56 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
How very dissapointing.

Sigh... I finally found a good hotel chain program (FPC) with which I wanted to settle because I was absolutely amazed by how amazing the Fairmont Stay as well as the program was. I already planned on going for Platinum this year only to learn that the whole thing will be torn down in July?! I think something just died inside of me...

Even though I really like the Fairmont Hotels (especially the Royal Palm in Marrakech) I sadly must think about going to another program. Any suggestion on what to opt for? Is there even a program comparable to FPC? Maybe we could do an exorcism on the FPC and hope that Accor will go away?
I will, however, give Accor a chance since I have already planned some Fairmont stays next year. (Although I have not heard a single good thing about them compared to FPC so I'm ready to be dissappointed)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I don't think there is a program comparable to FPC anymore. The decent programs with similar or better footprint are Marriott/Starwood and Hyatt (if you can stay 60 nights / year), the benefits are good (compared to Accor where they are useless) - but it's definitely more generic than FPC...
Otherwise just book any hotel which are part of Amex FHR or Virtuoso travel agency and you will get some good benefits as well, without having to stay some number of night per year and haveing to stick to a particular hotel chain.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:50 am

Just got back from the Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui. What a great hotel! Really sad about the Accor takeover of this fine chain of hotels. Miss my Fairmont card. Was just starting to get into staying at Fairmont. Sigh.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:53 am

For less frequent traveler, Shangri-La is another ok program. But footprint is even less than Fairmont. Also you can try Warwick. You only need to stay in 4 different locations to become top tier for Warwick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.