The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I don't read this site much, and it's for a reason. A lot of reasons, actually.

Anyway, today one of the featured posts is about "The Past and Present Wonders of Istanbul," with ten pictures -- a photo essay. The author claims to have visited Istanbul on many occasions.

I've been there once, decades ago.

The very first picture was labeled "View of the Bosphorus Strait," and featured a small bridge. A small bridge? Over the Bosphorus?

Enough said. How could any travel writer, even amateur, who's actually been to Istanbul possibly not know what the Bosphorus is? Or know about the Golden Horn?

I think I know the answer.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I don't read this site much, and it's for a reason. A lot of reasons, actually.

Anyway, today one of the featured posts is about "The Past and Present Wonders of Istanbul," with ten pictures -- a photo essay. The author claims to have visited Istanbul on many occasions.

I've been there once, decades ago.

The very first picture was labeled "View of the Bosphorus Strait," and featured a small bridge. A small bridge? Over the Bosphorus?

Enough said. How could any travel writer, even amateur, who's actually been to Istanbul possibly not know what the Bosphorus is? Or know about the Golden Horn?

I think I know the answer.
Yeah, pretty big difference between those two!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Someone finally noted the error in the comments. The caption now reads "An overhead view of Istanbul." Still, no thank you, acknowledgement, or anything.

Color me decidedly unimpressed. You're better off reading Flyertalk.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Thats par for the course for TPG, some stock photos, mostly not owned, but just referenced, with meshed info from Wikipedia and other open sources. The Munich entry at TPG is such a gem, mentioned it before. (S-Bahn to Theresienwiese, Air Berlin flight to JKF, etc)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:04 am

The first episode:

For some reason I was interested to see what the end product would look like.

- Five or six layover links for credit card referrals.
- Only one way ticket to Africa is shown. I guess it's just better to stay in Africa if you only have half the miles necessary and the extra $165 for taxes/fees (90k + $5 award highlighted for Business).
- Skips over the fee Amex Plat charges to transfer points to miles. (~$54 for this ticket)
- Not really sure what he does for the charity in Ghana. Is he speaking to those kids about miles and points? Is he going there because he raised money for this charity and wants to see what the charity is doing?
- This seems more like an ad for Delta and Amex.

On a positive note it is one of the best videos a travel blogger has put out. Would be fun to see trip reports that had this level of production. Though I'd like to see the journey in more of a vlog style. It would be interesting to see what the actual journey to a destination was like and highlights of what a blogger did at the actual destination and not just detailing the flight/hotel.

I'm not sure at the start of the video if he is claiming he created the miles and points community. I kind of get that impression.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
- Not really sure what he does for the charity in Ghana. Is he speaking to those kids about miles and points? Is he going there because he raised money for this charity and wants to see what the charity is doing?

Though I'd like to see the journey in more of a vlog style. It would be interesting to see what the actual journey to a destination was like and highlights of what a blogger did at the actual destination and not just detailing the flight/hotel.
Future episodes per TPGtv:

Here’s what we’re working on for the first season:

1. AFRICA: “Getting to Africa Using 90K Delta SkyMiles and $5.60”
AIR DATE: 2/1/2016

2. AFRICA: “PeaceJam: Ghana”
AIR DATE: 2/8/2016

3. AFRICA: “Accra Mövenpick Hotel Review & Fantasy Coffins”
AIR DATE: 2/15/2016

4. AFRICA: “Accra Boxing & Nightlife”
AIR DATE: 2/22/2016

5. AFRICA: “Traveling to Rwanda, Trekking with Gorillas & Thousand Hills Hotel Review”
AIR DATE: 2/29/2016

6. AFRICA: “How Kigali has Changed Since the Rwandan Genocide + Hotel Review”
AIR DATE: 3/7/2016

7. AFRICA: “Westin Cape Town Review & The First Black Female Wine Producer in South Africa”
AIR DATE: 3/14/2016

8. AFRICA: “Cape Town Sandboarding & Nobu Restaurant Review”
AIR DATE: 3/21/2016

9. QATAR “What to do in Qatar When You Only Have Six Hours”
AIR DATE: 3/28/16

Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The first episode:

For some reason I was interested to see what the end product would look like.

- Five or six layover links for credit card referrals.
- Only one way ticket to Africa is shown. I guess it's just better to stay in Africa if you only have half the miles necessary and the extra $165 for taxes/fees (90k + $5 award highlighted for Business).
- Skips over the fee Amex Plat charges to transfer points to miles. (~$54 for this ticket)
- This seems more like an ad for Delta and Amex.

On a positive note it is one of the best videos a travel blogger has put out. Would be fun to see trip reports that had this level of production. Though I'd like to see the journey in more of a vlog style. It would be interesting to see what the actual journey to a destination was like and highlights of what a blogger did at the actual destination and not just detailing the flight/hotel.

I'm not sure at the start of the video if he is claiming he created the miles and points community. I kind of get that impression.
Great quality.

But boring for anyone but a noob, which is clearly the target audience.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:19 am
Suspended

Wasn't a bad video at all.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Not badly produced but you can easily tell on camera he looks quite awkward. Its well produced because frankly he probably spent mid five figures shooting the whole thing. I'm guessing a producer + cameraman had to come along for the ride.

All this blatent ad logo placement for TPG though is just ridiculous. With all the money being spent on social media, you'd expect better. He should stick to his strong suit and smile awkwardly hawking the sapphire card.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
because frankly he probably spent mid five figures shooting the whole thing.
Possibly but how much is Delta giving him for that one?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:35 am
formerly PHLGrump

Vids kind of look like a knockoff Bourdain. Hard to knock the guy though. He turned what most of us consider a hobby into a full-time job (part time )
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:16 am
Community Director Emerita

Brian will be giving a TED talk tomorrow.

TED University
Wed Feb 17, 2016
2:15 – 4:00
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

TED University
Wed Feb 17, 2016
No doubt he will mention his flight in the residence. I'm actually looking forward to see his talk.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

TED University
Wed Feb 17, 2016
No doubt he will mention his flight in the residence. I'm actually looking forward to see his talk.
I remember the good old days when only geniuses gave Ted talks.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I remember the good old days when only geniuses gave Ted talks.
Heck, I remember the good old days when only frequent flyer experts spoke at points and miles seminars!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.