Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Reality show? Please no.

Admittedly, there have been a few good and genuine (read: not staged) airline reality shows such as Airline USA (basically, it's about the daily expereinces of WN agents across the nation at their work. Gate agents all the way up to district managers, it is very fascinating show) which you can tell isn't staged as it gets quite gruesome at times, such as the Chicago PD tackling and tazing a super - drunk guy at MDW for trying to shove his way past a gate agent and board a flight when he was being denied on grounds of intoxication, etc...

But I can't, if I had to be true to myself, see any sort of genuine content in a The Points Guy reality show. But that is moot anyhow, as most reality TV is not genuine ( a very small percentage are) and is staged. So by that definition, TPG and his existing content will fit right in!

-LPDAL
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Reality show? Please no.

Admittedly, there have been a few good and genuine (read: not staged) airline reality shows such as Airline USA (basically, it's about the daily expereinces of WN agents across the nation at their work. Gate agents all the way up to district managers, it is very fascinating show) which you can tell isn't staged as it gets quite gruesome at times, such as the Chicago PD tackling and tazing a super - drunk guy at MDW for trying to shove his way past a gate agent and board a flight when he was being denied on grounds of intoxication, etc...

But I can't, if I had to be true to myself, see any sort of genuine content in a The Points Guy reality show. But that is moot anyhow, as most reality TV is not genuine ( a very small percentage are) and is staged. So by that definition, TPG and his existing content will fit right in!

-LPDAL
I can see SPG TV giving him a 10 minute show reality show played in hotel rooms
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I can see SPG TV giving him a 10 minute show reality show played in hotel rooms
Points bloggers gone wild? @:-)

Thanks for the info on The Residence. So it really is like your own hotel room in the sky (if you catch my drift). Still, it seems like most of Hammacher Schlemmer (or however you spell that) -- hyper expensive novelty toys for the rich and famous. Submarine cars, etc....

I don't understand, however, how this post is supposed to fit into the "Average People can travel the world for free in first class and five star hotels through the use of credit card points" aura of TPG. I am not aware if you can redeem points for the residence or not, but it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to say that most of the civilized world can't afford to plunk down $30,000 at the drop of a hat for an airline ticket, hence my confusion....

-LPDAL
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:44 pm

This is cringe worthy:
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
This is cringe worthy:
I'm sure it was great.

But not $30k ow great.

Remember, that product is competing with private jets.

Private jets will ALWAYS be a more convenient (if slightly less luxurious) option.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thats even better per hour than london - abu dhabi, for that route i calculated >
for 2 pax, Residence is 2 times cost of F one-way, and 2.5 times cost of F round-trip

private jet with bedroom (and shower) costs a lot

emirates private jet is interesting - 10 F suites, sleeps additional 5, shower

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 24, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:25 pm

Oh my.

Bathrobe - clad TPG: "Come into my bedroom on my A380. COME ON! Come take a seat!!!"

Uhm, no thanks. I'll gladly sit in coach.

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Nov 24, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:52 pm

Completely agree. Can't imagine watching and--especially--listening to this guy on a television program of any length. Total vanity project.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:14 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I don't understand, however, how this post is supposed to fit into the "Average People can travel the world for free in first class and five star hotels through the use of credit card points" aura of TPG.
It is not ("supposed to fit....") I believe someone already mentioned this. But, it's all about the "experience" (videos) going viral and then monetising the huge amount of traffic.

It has little to do with teaching anyone anything. Or providing knowledge that leads to an aspirational award.

Some might say its the Perez Hilton personality/model for aspirational travel blogging.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:30 am

I feel sorry for him.
The plan was great, an amazing trip, a photographer, OMG, it will rock!
At the end, the space is really cramped and super hard to photograph,
nothing looks really unique or great, everybody knows everything already
about this "experience"...

He is trying so hard, a shot in his bed in his suit, a shot in his robe,
looking left, looking right... A glass of champaign, OMG...

Not sure if this "business expense" will pay off. And it looked so great on paper...

Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have been in The Residence - Etihad has been touring a full size mock-up around travel shows for the last year or so. It really is cramped - imagine living in the smallest apartment you can imagine! I got a feeling that it would get very claustraphobic over a long flight.

Give Etihad credit though. I was chatting to someone this week about his recent travels (he didn't know what I do, he was just a standard 'wealthy retired' gent) and he brought up The Residence up in conversation and even named it correctly. The PR works!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Raffles
I have been in The Residence - Etihad has been touring a full size mock-up around travel shows for the last year or so. It really is cramped - imagine living in the smallest apartment you can imagine! I got a feeling that it would get very claustraphobic over a long flight.
Still more space than nearly any other commercial seat ever . I wouldn't want to live in it at 125 square feet of course (especially with the relatively low and curved ceilings), but it is a lot on a plane. And if you think that gets claustrophobic, what about economy .
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:50 am

I don't understand, however, how this post is supposed to fit into the "Average People can travel the world for free in first class and five star hotels through the use of credit card points" aura of TPG. I am not aware if you can redeem points for the residence or not, ....
HeelsFirst did.

http://heelsfirsttravel.boardingarea...fk-auh-flight/
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Troopers
She was in the First Apartments, rather than The Residence.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
She was in the First Apartments, rather than The Residence.
My bad. Almost the same difference though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.