Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
The girls can deduct the g-string costs. Or, so I've heard.
If I worked at the irs and was conducting an audit, I would ask that the G-strings be removed.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm waiting for meta-time when one of these bloggers starts seminars:

Travel for free by inducing others to sign up for credit cards via your blog!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And don't forget - Ben doesn't even want your business that involves the "how do I redeem these miles" question. He isn't taking new clients.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by cruisr
It's not the income that could get him, it's the deductions. Hopefully his accountant is good
You don't think he's ever taken cash payments from clients that went unreported, or has paid "contributors" off the books?

They've fried bigger fish. There is no way he is doing everything legit.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:15 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You don't think he's ever taken cash payments from clients that went unreported, or has paid "contributors" off the books?

They've fried bigger fish. There is no way he is doing everything legit.
I'm sure he's doing the best he can.

Problem is that this is pretty murky water, tax-wise. How about the 'hundred dollar designer chocolates' that RS reported he was handling out to 'giggling flight attendants?' Business expense? Yes. But a business expense for tax purposes? Errrrr....????

Hopefully he's erring on the side of caution. ^
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yet again, ben is not FTG, TPG, MMS

its surprising residence is bookable online

of course the residence is a smart concept
TG lounge does not generate any revenue
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A fellow FTers says the RS article is BS, but not so much for the misleading readers to sign up for CCs, but for not buying his book: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nichol...b_7882288.html
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

And now the German press has picked him up... no mention of hobby or FT though this time: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/reise/bon...eger-1.2587967
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That's not quite right since the article refers to "the hobby" several times, e.g.: "'Das Hobby' ist keine Freizeitbeschäftigung, sondern ein Vollzeitjob." I'd translate this as "The Hobby is not a free-time occupation, but rather a full-time job."

Also, this time the interviewee seems to have controlled the message pretty well. For example, there's this: "Gratis, das betont Schlappig, ist das Reisen auch für ihn nicht. Umso mehr ärgert es ihn, dass das im Rolling Stone behauptet wird." In English: "Free, emphasizes Schlappig, is not what travel is even for him. Thus it especially annoys him that RS claimed that it was."

This article is significantly more balanced than what Le Figaro ran a few days ago for a French readership. That was a real slash-and-burn job all the way around.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Do credit card companies really pay bounties of $300 per app???

$30 per I could see, but $300? If that's true -- WOW
Originally Posted by cruisr
From what I have heard, yes but there is also a range and I believe that is the highest. Most of the "Titans" like the Rock Star and his "apprentices" are in it for the $$$$. Nothing wrong with that, they should just drop the acts that they are offering these CC links for the sole purpose of allowing their readers to travel "free". They are offering the CCs so they can make money and pay for their own tickets.
Well, if that's true then I can see how it would be a much more lucrative blog than I realized.

(Most people think blogs make lots of money off of "ads", and that's not true at all of plain old banners and other display or text/search ads)

I'm still highly skeptical of the claim that the blog made him a millionaire -- but I could see it driving a solid six figure income that would nicely complement the substantial family wealth that funded his earlier travels and may well still supplement his lifestyle today.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
This article is significantly more balanced than what Le Figaro ran a few days ago for a French readership. That was a real slash-and-burn job all the way around.
That is because its custom in Germany to send a copy of the interview to the interviewed for review. @:-)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Well, if that's true then I can see how it would be a much more lucrative blog than I realized.
It's economics of scale when it comes to impressions.

Adsense (for example) pays a nominal fee on a CPM basis along with their CPC program.

If my blog gets 10K visits a month, I won't eat off it, but I'll make a few bucks.

OTOH, if I get 1 million+ visits, and can keep people clicking through pages (generating page views and more opportunities for clicks) I might never work again (I don't work anyway, but you know what I mean )

But the real money, which Ben barely touched upon because, well, it *is* a touchy subject, is in affiliate marketing.

That's how The Points Guy built his little empire, even though his site doesn't provide much useful info beyond what a rookie CC or miles user might need. That and pretty trip reports.

Banks pay A LOT for credit card accounts, even through general ad networks. And if you have a topical site with 1 million+ page views per month you negotiate your own rates anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if TPG and Ben get $200+ per signup on some credit cards (you will notice that they usually push the premium Sapphire/Platinum etc. cards; there is a reason for that).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ahum, Tracer, you know his mother's a hairdresser, right?

I have no more idea about his family's wealth than you really do. But based on the foregoing, my unsubstantiated surmise is that his family has no real wealth, "substantial" or otherwise. Or maybe it just depends on how you define "wealth" and "substantial."

As for how he paid for his youthful travels, that's actually in many of the early blog entries. Which I've actually read. It's not some weird, hard-to-penetrate secret. None of that stuff would've ever been for me, but it still astonishes me how close you could come in those now bygone days to creating the air-travel equivalent of a perpetual motion machine.

Added thought: As for affiliate marketing, and someone with more knowledge than mine can chime in, but I think bloggers are contractually prohibited from commenting on the subject.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jul 30, 2015 at 8:31 am Reason: Added thought.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Added thought: As for affiliate marketing, and someone with more knowledge than mine can chime in, but I think bloggers are contractually prohibited from commenting on the subject.
Yup, I have many separate private label agreements with companies, that I actually have to physically "sign" and overnight back whenever there are contract changes etc.

But affiliate programs are the online equivalent of "at will" employment. You basically have no rights, and either party can do whatever, whenever. It all depends on how profitable you are to the bank/whatever.

Though I'm sure this is part of the reason why he didn't want to talk about it in the interview.

(BTW, did the writer fly CX to HKG with him? And elsewhere? If so, did he sit in Y? Or C? )
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part of the reason, sure. The other part is, he didn't want the interviewer to go that deep and figure out where the profit was.

Frankly, the idea of traveling elite for free is great. But if that's all there is to it, why blog about it? Amazing that the interview didn't even try to go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.