Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by SANspotter
I've been hearing about imminent doom since '98. Every year, something happens which sends everyone running in panic, claiming the end is near, and yet...here we are.

The rules will change, and we will change with them. It's a never ending cycle.
While I don't think I heard much doomsaying back in 1998, I agree about the changes. When's the last time you got a few thousand miles for changing your long-distance (landline) company? That used to pass for excitement and that deal's been dead a long long time. Minimum spends have never been easier to meet thanks to PINs on gift cards. Companies are bound to change the rules and tighten up on some churning opportunities. But new companies join the fun. 17 years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of getting some $400 signup offers from Barclay (NFL, Arrival+) while struggling to meet the min spend for my latest Citi AA card.

These are the "good ol' days!"
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Front page of Yahoo. If people think this thread is negative towards Ben check out those comments...
Link?

Front page of yahoo is a very changeable notion.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
+1

I was an interested reader at first, but the glaring lack of intellectual curiosity, combined with the lack of disclosure of accepting free travel arrangements (a big no-no to me) turned me into a former reader.
Could you detail some of these free travel arrangements.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Could you detail some of these free travel arrangements.
I think it was a visit to a Hyatt somewhere in Argentina. It was so out of place as compared to his previous postings, and I looked carefully and didn't find an acknowledgement of free arrangements. I really didn't want to continue reading a shill blog; that is, one in which the author could not fairly criticize negative factors because he/she had accepted free arrangements/accommodations.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:54 pm

I agree that the bloggers are in the wrong for selling this lifestyle for "free". It's manipulative but it does what they expect-- gets people to click their blog and their affiliate links.

As for this hobby being HARD, I think that's up for debate. I have a full time job and actually work extra shifts at it. I'm married (no kids). I still have extra time to apply for cards and do low-mid scale MS without much help from the wife. In 3 years, we've gone on 2-3 trips per year (typically a 2-week and a 1-week trip) and a few weekend getaways, mostly on points. We've flown 2 international F flights from Asia and have an Emirates F to DXB and MAD coming up next March. We went to Africa in J. We've stayed at a suite at Andaz Maui, stayed at the IC Times Square for NYE, and gone to Bora Bora twice to stay in OWB. All this was on points and miles. I agree that very few people can do (or want to do) what OMAAT does, but for those who want to travel in style a couple times a year, it's very doable if you're really interested and patient.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by ingy

And this media blitz won't kill the hobby. It will just add a few more players to an evolving game
Expert viewpoint from the guy who broadcast credit card churning on Nightline, got the resulting uptick in business he was looking for, then sold his blog a little while later.

Doing it all for you.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:20 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Interesting Reply?

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Expert viewpoint from the guy who broadcast credit card churning on Nightline, got the resulting uptick in business he was looking for, then sold his blog a little while later.

Doing it all for you.
And its 3 1/2 years later and you "whiners" are still complaining and still earning tons of miles on credit card sign ups.

That Nightline piece brought tons of people into the hobby (small "h") and many more grateful people have been able to see the world at prices they could afford.

I find it extremely arrogant to expect the hobby to close its doors to new members the day after you or any other "whiner" got involved.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Link?

Front page of yahoo is a very changeable notion.
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/how-thi...754815447.html
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I love it when ingy (small i) comments on my blog, my Alexa ranking numbers (he is the only one who cares about them) get a bump up. Thanks for the update again! Same old arguments #yawn

I am still laughing on that super hilarious The Bustle piece, what a classic!
http://www.shandypockets.com/the-wheels-on-the-bus.html
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ingy

That Nightline piece brought tons of people into the hobby (small "h") and many more grateful people have been able to see the world at prices they could afford.
I'm sure many share my admiration for your selfless efforts to help people travel cheap.

Rare indeed-a lot of guys would have just pushed people to apply for credit cards so they could get fat commissions from banks.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Astrophsx's last comment stands effectively unanswered because it is, in fact, unanswerable for the simple reason that Ben absolutely does not accept undisclosed free travel -- from anyone let alone some big chain like Hyatt. Posting here to the effect that the opposite is somehow true doesn't change that.

And saying that one of Ben's stays in a big chain hotel is odd is itself more than odd: all Ben does is stay in chain hotels! In fact, that's one of the things I don't like about the blog since I, for one, am simply unwilling to go to Paris (for example) just to stay in some Hyatt . . . even though the Vendome is reportedly quite nice.

There have been a few free travels nonetheless. A couple of years ago there was a very so-so stay in a Paris boutique hotel. That wasn't too interesting. The free trip on the G4, on the other hand, made for a truly wild blog post that was one of the better posts Ben's ever done.

In short, there are most certainly some not-so-great things about the blog that you can legitimately criticize. (A smattering of the more recent posts here have hit the mark.) There's no need, really, to venture into fiction.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jul 24, 2015 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

who cares about signups
what matters is bloggers who told people to buy refundable tickets
and to attack airlines over mistake fares (DOT complaint, lawsuit, etc)

manufactured spend is not going away
airlines are shifting to CC, vs flight miles

i imagine ben talked about what he spends, and writer ignored in favor of narrative

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
all Ben does is stay in chain hotels!
he made one exception, with his mom
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
who cares about signups
what matters is bloggers who told people to buy refundable tickets
and to attack airlines over mistake fares (DOT complaint, lawsuit, etc)

manufactured spend is not going away
airlines are shifting to CC, vs flight miles

i imagine ben talked about what he spends, and writer ignored in favor of narrative

he made one exception, with his mom
BTW...nothing wrong staying in chain hotels...but going to BKK to eat Pizza? Puhleeze.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Not sure if it's been noted yet, but for the last few days this post has been stickied at the top: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ile-at-a-time/

It's pretty clear that RS/other articles have over-sensationalized "free" aspect as Lucky (unlike some other bloggers) hasn't ever claimed that. I've been following his blog for a couple of years and he usually just states that you may be able to travel in premium cabin for about the cost of economy.

That's what he's careful to point out in the linked post:

Travel isn’t free

If you’ve come here from one of the rather sensationalist headlines, I’m afraid you’re about to be a bit disappointed. I’m actually not sure where the headline came from that I apparently travel constantly for “free.” Travel costs money. Period. And as someone who lives in hotels full time and flies 400,000+ miles per year, I can assure you it actually costs me a lot of money.

However, there are so many opportunities to enjoy truly amazing experiences while spending significantly less than you might think. I’ve reviewed hundreds of flights and hotel stays on this blog, and in the introduction post to each trip report I provide an exact breakdown of how many miles each award ticket costs.

My hope is that by having an example of how relatively few miles are required for this kind of travel that you’ll be inspired to travel more often, and more comfortably. The fact is that there’s tons of value to be had from getting into the miles & points world, even though travel still won’t ever be “free.”...
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I think it was a visit to a Hyatt somewhere in Argentina. It was so out of place as compared to his previous postings, and I looked carefully and didn't find an acknowledgement of free arrangements. I really didn't want to continue reading a shill blog; that is, one in which the author could not fairly criticize negative factors because he/she had accepted free arrangements/accommodations.
I think you're referring to his trip to Mendoza for the Masters of Food and WIne. He was pretty upfront that his trip was covered....

My business class airfare, stay at the Park Hyatt Mendoza, and admission to all the events were comped, given that Park Hyatt, American Airlines, and all of the wineries we visited are sponsors of the event (and I’ll be sure to disclose that in every subsequent post on the subject, though hopefully y’all know me well enough to know that I’m quite outspoken about my impressions, and I have no plans to hold back here).
He also notes on the actual PH Mendoza trip report right at the start

(Full disclosure: Park Hyatt and American Airlines, sponsors of the Masters of Food & Wine Event, comped my airfare, hotel, and admission to the events)
So, he was pretty upfront about the nature of the trip.

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.