Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
The argument is this.

There are 20 bloggers whose click you can use if you want to get this card, and thus earn them $100 for zero work.

Is MMS misrepresenting the work he put into this post in order to persuade people to use his link? Would people be less willing to use his link if they knew he'd just paid someone else to write the stuff?

I think the answer to the 2nd question is actually No, but a big hole has now been dug by his refusal to be upfront. Although, as I said elsewhere, if I wanted an 8-part series of using LH miles on my blog, then I too would be paying someone else to write it because I don't know that much about them - although I would happily be upfront about it.
For what it's worth, there are many people that attributed in his comments section (either implicitly or explicitly) that they were going to click his link because of the 80+ hours "he" put in
Old May 26, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jatink129
I'm not supporting either team, and no offence intended to those who are, but what difference does it make who wrote the post?

¯(°_o)/¯

I really don't see what the big deal is. Please enlighten me.
If you look at the post:

I’ve been digging into the Lufthansa Miles & More program because of the Barclays 50,000 mile credit card.

I could not find much information on the program, so I’ve spent over 80+ hours studying how to avoid the high fuel surcharges...
If he didn't write it, that's definitely very problematic because he's sticking his name on other people's work. I don't know whether the person he paid let go of all rights on the content he wrote for MMS, but either way there's no acknowledgement at all which would be a bit strange. If he's writing the post and answering comments as if he wrote it, so it's that definitely misrepresentation.

But do we even know whether he got someone to write it or not?

Originally Posted by the hotel bar
For what it's worth, there are many people that attributed in his comments section (either implicitly or explicitly) that they were going to click his link because of the 80+ hours "he" put in
Exactly. That's like not giving an HT.
Old May 26, 2013, 4:17 pm

but either way there's no acknowledgement at all which would be a bit strange
Particularly by someone who fancies himself as some superstar on the disclosure front

Mother-in-law's rules are obviously negotiable

But do we even know whether he got someone to write it or not?
Yes. I've personally seen Drew's name show up in google searches as the author when you look up the blog (see the MMS LH thread)

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...w=1600&bih=769

See the 2nd entry on the list
Old May 27, 2013, 12:06 am

Particularly by someone who fancies himself as some superstar on the disclosure front

Yes. I've personally seen Drew's name show up in google searches as the author when you look up the blog (see the MMS LH thread)

He runs travelisfree.com, right? Just send him an email?
Old May 27, 2013, 2:55 pm

I occasionally will censor comments. Usually it is because I prefer to reply to comments and if I cannot reply to it publicly I hope the commenter will take the discussion off-line and email me. Sure, I have the commenter's email, but I don't bother emailing commenters unless they email me directly. If the comment can't be replied to without divulging who I work for or specifics of my company's travel policy I usually delete them.

A commenter called me a "see you next tuesday" and I left it up because it's more of a negative reflection on the commenter than myself.

As for affiliate links, I have nothing that isn't available in the SPAM thread (ebates, mr rebates, etc). I have no credit card affiliate links and I only talk about credit cards I personally have.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Many times leaving the comments uncensored is more beneficial to the blog than blocking or censoring them. What is nice is that there respondent can not go back in and modify them.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:42 pm

I have a question about leaving comments under multiple names. What is wrong with that?
Isn't that mutually exclusive from the person leaving nasty comments?
Old May 27, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I have a question about leaving comments under multiple names. What is wrong with that?
Depends on what is going on. When you comment (at least on Word Press) your IP address is logged. Now, you could be a family sharing an internet connection and all posting from the same IP, but usually there is some sense of deception going on that people reading the blog don't see because they just see the name. It's one thing if I occasionally post as "Grace" or "gj83" or "Fly Gracefully" but another thing if I post as "Gary" or "Seth" or "Bob" with the intention of misleading people.
Also, if several comments from the same IP address all post to the same thread under different names that is usually a characteristic of spambots.
Old May 27, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
It's deceitful. Usually it's done to make it appear as though multiple people share the same point of view, or at least more people do than otherwise care to comment. The goal then is to persuade readers based on frequency with which an opinion is hed.

It's used as a cover for spam. If you post the same message 20 times, I think it's reasonable to view doing so as spam meant to drown out productive conversation. But if 20 different people do it, that's not spam that's a whole bunch of people expressing an opinion in the same way.

Ultimately if your concern is "deceiving the readers" (though I am always surprised by how many people here are concerned with these nameless, faceless 'other' readers that are clearly downtrodden and in need of sympathy and protection) then it seems like you should also not want deceipt by commenters.

Just as you also wouldn't want deceit by forum community members who post misinformation on deal threads in order to prevent people from taking advantage of deals and keep those deals alive longer for themselves.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
He runs travelisfree.com, right? Just send him an email?
I am sure I posted on the 3rd installment ( Friday) and asked him who had authored the document. I see that my post was removed and the list of comments is very short today. I like Dariuus and doubt I ever left a nasty comment, not my style. Definitely moderation and post removals in full force.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:43 pm

Well, as annoying/hurtful/wrong as some comments are, I still leave them alone on Points to be Made. Readers' reputation is what'll draw repeat readers, and censoring comments is just one way to easily put them off.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
If done innocently EG I might sometimes say matt from saverocity and sometimes forget to type that in and use just matt (both backlinking to saverocity) then I don't see a problem.

When it is done maliciously, I think there is a problem. What is wrong with the same person leaving multiple comments in made up names in the same thread, within a short space of time? Well - it gives the impression of critical mass to push one persons agenda. People are pack led, and if 'everyone' is calling out the same thing then people might start following along, without really knowing why - or at the very least start having more and more doubts about the point being raised.

If that situation is being intentionally created by one person with an agenda I would say that is wrong.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Thank you Raffles and everyone else for your point of view.

While I do think that MMS should have disclosed who wrote the piece, I also believe that this is being blown way out of proportion.

Just MHO.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by lacuadra
I am sure I posted on the 3rd installment ( Friday) and asked him who had authored the document. I see that my post was removed and the list of comments is very short today. I like Dariuus and doubt I ever left a nasty comment, not my style. Definitely moderation and post removals in full force.
Edited the wiki per this experience.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:11 am

+1
I think Daraius had been trying to position his blog as being more straightforward and transparent than the other blogs. If he would have introduced the guest blogger "And now here's an article about Lufthansa by Drew," people would have applauded and it would have been a non-issue. As it was, when readers mentioned Drew's byline in comments, if Drew wrote the article Daraius should have quickly acknowledged that Drew wrote the article. I believe that would have been the smarter thing to do. Removing Drew's name as author of the article and not responding to questions about it is what has created Authorgate and made it an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.