Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies & Gentlemen,
quick reminder that the FT TOS also apply to this section, so please refrain from personal attacks.

In case you were wondering about the definition, here is an excerpt from the Rules:
Personal Attacks
We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated and will be removed, and the violator will be subject to disciplinary action. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
For those familiar with my moderating style, you may have noticed I will delete posts containing personal attacks in their entirety, so any worthwhile comment you may have made in the remainder of the post is lost forever.

One offensive post deleted. Now back to regular programming.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
My blog has very explicate terms of use. and I will censor any offensive material or advertisements. First post is held for moderation until approved and any there after is automatically approved. I can, will, and have deleted offensive messages.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Have you ever been censored in a blog's comment section?

Which blog?

What did you write that got censored?

I have written a few pointed comments on various comment sections but have never had them axed by the blog.
I think that it may be helpful to ask which blogs censor non-offensive posts, and by that I mean something that doesn't have foul language, threats, overly rude, or mean spirited.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by runfit
What I do not appreciate are the blogs (like deltapoints) who censor comments that disagree with him. I think that is poor taste as it suggests that you are not secure enough with your content to allow people to suggest opposing views or analysis. However, his blog, he can do what he wants. I give a blog like that lower credibility though because of it.
Though I really appreciate Delta Points as a person and for his wealth of knowledge, I have had comments that disagree with him censored. I am not the only one who has said that. I can't tell you how often it happens, since I rarely post on his blog anymore. Fortunately it is a free world and those who don't like one's blog or one's style have lots of other options.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I would welcome more aggressively challenging comments on my blog. I don't think there is a need for excessive vulgarity, but if there is an issue with the content I think it is an exciting challenge to address it, and either learn something or teach something in the process.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I second brooklynmatt's views completely. When someone has a better method to do something than mine or something to add, I am happy to hear it and then all my readers and myself as well can benefit. If someone only thinks he has a better method, I am happy to hear it as well as that gives me a chance to clarify and solidify my methods and perhaps look at things from a different angle. In life and internet, I will debate with people if I respect their views and opinions.

Furthermore, I would censor comments that are vulgar or profane. Or that are irrelevant to anything on the blog.

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
I would welcome more aggressively challenging comments on my blog. I don't think there is a need for excessive vulgarity, but if there is an issue with the content I think it is an exciting challenge to address it, and either learn something or teach something in the process.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
All of them, if you post something that's a little juicy about...

1. How much they're making from their blog
2. Details about their personal life, where they live, sexual preference, etc.

I can't say I blame them, either.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:47 pm

I actually found myself censoring this week. Another blogger came by my post and put his affiliate link into it. I felt that was out of line, especially as he did it ignoring my content that already dealt with the subject.

I then made a post about it today!
Old May 6, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Milevalue, like deltapoints, will censor comments which point to a credit card offer with a better non affiliate offer. The worst kind of censoring IMO
Old May 6, 2013, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
Milevalue, like deltapoints, will censor comments which point to a credit card offer with a better non affiliate offer. The worst kind of censoring IMO
I wonder why Points Guy pulled him off the blog roll.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Delta Points is totally lying when he says he only censors inappropriate comments. I've frequently posted polite comments where I disagree, and he always rejects them. He'll even frequently edit the comment to make it sound like you agree with him.

He just did it to me yesterday with his 50,000 credit card posting. He said they were amazing offers- I responded that they are the normal ones we all know about, and are not great deals. He posted only the '...are great deals' part. Hahaha. That's why I stick to blogs that actually have value. Delta Points censors so much because I'm guessing he is scared of being called out for not having as much knowledge as many of the other bloggers.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

A long winded reasoning why someone deleted sbm12s comment in his blog:

http://saverocity.com/blog/use-my-af...8Saverocity%29

HT to gpapadop
Old May 7, 2013, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
A long winded reasoning why someone deleted sbm12s comment in his blog:

http://saverocity.com/blog/use-my-af...8Saverocity%29

HT to gpapadop
Other than the long windedness. I would like your input on the reasoning. Is it valid, or not?
Old May 7, 2013, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Other than the long windedness. I would like your input on the reasoning. Is it valid, or not?
If it were my blog, I'd just let someone's comment stay in there, even if they link back etc. If its offensive or blatant spam, I'd delete with a '[redacted spam/offensive]' comment.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If it were my blog, I'd just let someone's comment stay in there, even if they link back etc. If its offensive or blatant spam, I'd delete with a '[redacted spam/offensive]' comment.
I let people backlink all the time.

The reason I left it there was because I thought it was worth calling out, not deleting.

However, what I am asking for, is do you think the decision, based upon what I said, to call this 'spam' or whatnot is valid? I'm keen to hear from people to see what they think of this.

Others have stated that I can't possibly say such a thing because the person involved has been helpful to them in the past, which I think is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.