Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MKB
This seems to be at odds with the claim from HfP earlier in this thread that they don't censor.
I think there are some words which you cannot use in your comments on their site, if you do your comment just will not appear - mainly mention of things that might impact the revenue from referrals from the HfP site. I noticed somebody added a comment today about a BA offer that was not mentioned on the HfP site and even mentioned they expected their post to be deleted (and had to put hyphens in a word to stop it being blocked a-u-t-o-m-a-t-i-c-a-l-l-y). Looking a few hours later the comment is gone. The post did not criticize HfP or mention any other poster or person, but the post is gone now.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by MKB
Head for Points seems to have deleted some posts following their puff-piece today extolling the virtues of a trip to Tel Aviv with Virgin. A comment from a staff member reminds people that their forum is not the place for political commentary, yet no political comments appear. Some people might regard the publication of their original article as quite political of itself. I said as much in response to the staff member, and had my post deleted.

This seems to be at odds with the claim from HfP earlier in this thread that they don't censor.
If people want to have "you killed Jesus!" discussions then that's fine by me, but not in my house.

We have taken a more aggressive line since my historic quote on this topic - as has Ben @ OMAAT, the other historic hold-out against censorship - because the general quality of discourse has dropped, unfortunately.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MKB
Head for Points seems to have deleted some posts following their puff-piece today extolling the virtues of a trip to Tel Aviv with Virgin. A comment from a staff member reminds people that their forum is not the place for political commentary, yet no political comments appear. Some people might regard the publication of their original article as quite political of itself. I said as much in response to the staff member, and had my post deleted.

I didn't see anything remotely political about the article itself. It was just a trip report.

Originally Posted by riku2
I think there are some words which you cannot use in your comments on their site, if you do your comment just will not appear - mainly mention of things that might impact the revenue from referrals from the HfP site. I noticed somebody added a comment today about a BA offer that was not mentioned on the HfP site and even mentioned they expected their post to be deleted (and had to put hyphens in a word to stop it being blocked a-u-t-o-m-a-t-i-c-a-l-l-y). Looking a few hours later the comment is gone. The post did not criticize HfP or mention any other poster or person, but the post is gone now.
Censoring comments that point out better offers than the site's affiliate link is more of a concern than blotting out politics, off topic, etc.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.godsavethepoints.com/apo...-upgrade-pack/

“Last year, Upgrade Pack, a start up by a team I was proud to be familiar, with hit me up about highlighting their innovative new platform.

As I noted in the coverage, which I was compensated for...”

I pointed out that his coverage didn’t make it at all clear he was compensated.

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/mee...l-upgrade-app/

When I heard about Upgrade Pack, I approached it with a fair degree of skepticism. Surely it couldn’t be that easy. But after speaking to Founder & CEO Craig Unsworth, it appears that it actually is. Upgrade Pack allows you to add your reservation with a selection of airlines and hotels and receive an instant upgrade price quote. Not only that, there’s a discount involved too – in the region of 20-30% of the upgrade price.”

OH HAI POST BALEETED.

So yeah, dude deletes posts and takes advertorial payola without disclosure. Nothing personal, we all make a living somehow, but there you are.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some of the miles and points blogs seem to be heavily influenced by whomever they are courting or trying to maintain good relations to get/maintain feed of some sort or another for some travel service provider or another; and then they go on the attack or defense based on that kind of personal affiliation/affinity. And there is other circular backscratching and brown-nosing that is part of the scene.

Expecting the miles and points bloggers to be more impartial, objective and consistent than the average person is to expect too much. And given how people tend to be sensitive to criticism of various sorts and tend to react to criticism, can’t say I’m surprised that some of the bloggers disappear some comments (or more) even when the contributions aren’t spam.
CodeAdam10 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 19, 2020 at 8:51 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some of the miles and points blogs seem to be heavily influenced by whomever they are courting or trying to maintain good relations to get/maintain feed of some sort or another for some travel service provider or another; and then they go on the attack or defense based on that kind of personal affiliation/affinity. And there is other circular backscratching and brown-nosing that is part of the scene.

Expecting the miles and points bloggers to be more impartial, objective and consistent than the average person is to expect too much. And given how people tend to be sensitive to criticism of various sorts and tend to react to criticism, can’t say I’m surprised that some of the bloggers disappear some comments (or more) even when the contributions aren’t spam.
Well, it seems to me that this is a bit different if you are actively being paid for content with no disclaimer surrounding the content, only revealing that once you found out the people who were paying you were running a scam.

The average person also isn't writing blog content for US audiences that can run afoul of FTC regulations. Direct payola for content is very much something you need to disclose at the time you're writing it.

Am I surprised the comment was deleted? Not really. It wasn't particularly adversarial, just pointing that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.