Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:22 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Have you ever been censored in a blog's comment section?

Which blog?

What did you write that got censored?

I have written a few pointed comments on various comment sections but have never had them axed by the blog.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Have you ever been censored in a blog's comment section?

Which blog?

What did you write that got censored?

I have written a few pointed comments on various comment sections but have never had them axed by the blog.
I've never been censored, but once in a while my comment on an old post never appears. I presume that is due to a lack of attention to approving queued comments on old posts.

In my experience well-mannered comments are approved on all websites. Comments are their bread and butter. More comments = higher ad prices.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:48 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
In addition to reviewing blogs that censor vs. don't censor, you might also consider which ones screen posts before publishing them. Requiring the administrator to approve a post is almost the same as censoring -- it's just whether you end up getting a yes or a no.

All comments on my blog are automatically approved. So far I have only had one case where a person was using vulgar language and I had to remove it. Every now and then a spambot gets through. There are very affordable services like Akismet that can prevent most spam.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have only ever removed 1 post, and that was only because it was a blatant ad for the person in question that added nothing extra to the discussion. If the comment had started off constructively it would have stayed!

All of my comments go up automatically. To be fair, there is a third way - which is actually a selectable option in WordPress - which is that the first post by a new commentator is moderated but all future comments are approved by default.

People tend not to understand how massive spam is. I have had 1,100 spam comments at Head for Points in the last 24 hours, of which Akismet (the spam software) let through a grand total of 1, with 0 false positives.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
To be fair, there is a third way - which is actually a selectable option in WordPress - which is that the first post by a new commentator is moderated but all future comments are approved by default.
I believe that is how we handle it at F2B
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Scottrick
In addition to reviewing blogs that censor vs. don't censor, you might also consider which ones screen posts before publishing them. Requiring the administrator to approve a post is almost the same as censoring -- it's just whether you end up getting a yes or a no.

All comments on my blog are automatically approved. So far I have only had one case where a person was using vulgar language and I had to remove it. Every now and then a spambot gets through. There are very affordable services like Akismet that can prevent most spam.
You make a good point, auto-approval of comments allows for the most free-flowing commentary. I'm not sure I'd remember who auto-approves and who doesn't, but I certainly remember blogs on which non-inflammatory comments have been censored.

Last month I was censored on Deltapoints for an innocent comment mentioning what I liked about the Delta Amex. I seem to recall being censored by another blog, but I can't remember the exact situation so I will not name the other blog.

That said, regardless of how comments are approved, I have a lot of respect for blogs that allow disagreeing commentary even when they sometimes border on being nasty. A few non-censoring blogs that come to mind are viewfromthewing, onemileatatime, and millionmilesecrets (though it's been a while since I've visited MMS for no particular reason).
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Pretty clear that View from the Wing doesn't censor, here's a comment I read on that blog today:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...az-5th-avenue/

You sound like an over-coddled, spoiled prick. “They cap my breakfast at $75″ Whine! You are a sad ....ing bore to read, you credit card-pitching douche bag. The only thing ruining good hotels are not sub-custardy pancakes, but you and the low class dregs you bring to these places…cheap ..., poor “aspiring” points-redeeming wannabes, lavishing 24hours of the good life on points because you can’t actually afford the real thing. i try to pay good money to stay away from you people, but credit card offers are making it tougher to get away. Congratulations on being lord of the flies. the good news for now is that there are places you’ll never go, and ill never have to run across your double chin because they actually require money, and not credit card points– four seasons, aman, and a million independents. Review those, you cheap ... fat .....
And by the way, looks like Flyertalk is censoring words in the quote above, they weren't censored by Gary.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Pretty clear that View from the Wing doesn't censor, here's a comment I read on that blog today:

And by the way, looks like Flyertalk is censoring words in the quote above, they weren't censored by Gary.
Definitely comment of the week!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:28 pm

I do not censor. I've only removed one comment in the past because it was a personal attack directed towards another blogger.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther

Ouch.

But good for Gary for not censoring!

In the uncensored marketplace of ideas the cream will rise to the top.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Delta Points proudly censors comments!

I proudly censor comments on MY blog! - http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltapoints/aboutme/

Readers are welcome to disagree with me and comment so on the blog but may not post foul language (The blog is PG-13!) , or launch personal attacks on me or other readers (I respect my readers)!

This policy is clearly stated on the blog for all to see on the blog. Sorry, you many not come and smoke in "my house" and expect me to put up with it!

BTW, Flyer Talk censors comments too (i.e. you can not say anything you want on FT either)!

Last edited by Renes Points; Jun 4, 2013 at 12:51 am
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:23 pm

Milevalue

If you could update the first post with a list since we don't have a wiki that would be great.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
i've had a post deleted on FTG. maybe he deemed my comments useless? I don't really remember what i wrote, but it wasn't offensive or anything. maybe it was just too boring and didn't contribute to the convo so I won't hold it against him unless others have experienced the same thing
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Wow, that comment from View from the Wing is horrid. My skin would not be thick enough to take a steady diet of that vitriol.

I'd hate to accidentally cut that guy off on the freeway and cause some road rage. I don't think it would be pretty.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you have tens of thousands of readers and a certain SEO simple statistics mean that you will have spammers and individuals who will write what they think & feel.

If a blog entry only gets standing ovantions in the comment section, I usually just skip reading the comments and move on. Much more to read on the interweb. I only have a 30 minute commute and that is the time I dedicate to reading the travel blogs that are out there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.