Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: Starwood, US Airways/The New American
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I appreciate it's a bit of a circus, but one has to appreciate the irony of the threat of censorship in a post about censorship

Updated wiki, my apologies.

Maybe it will get answered too
Thanks for updating
Sadly, I don't think it will get answered. We shouldn't actually have comments on the deals site as it's not a blog that's monitored. I will send you an email with a reply though!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
talkerfly doesn't censor anything
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:47 pm

Frugal Travel Guy must use some sort of automatic software to censor comments. Personal experience.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:20 pm

FTG even censors his own comments.

Before: http://web.archive.org/web/201106081...s-blogger.html

After: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2011/...s-blogger.html

Originally Posted by Censored Comment
Last week The Points Guy revealed he was being comped by Delta and Hyatt on his trip to Japan. When I read it, I got a funny feeling in my gut. It happens to me at times -- that funny feeling in my gut. Brian is a terrific blogger. If I had to pick out one favorite fellow blogger it would be him. He is extremely detailed in his explanations and covers the same type and variety of topics as I do. Besides all that, he is a really nice guy. Gary at View From The Wing blog covers more high-end properties and first class trips than I do, and Lucky at One Mile at a Time -- the stuff he does is, in my opinion, not attainable, or at times even desirable, by the average Joe (300,000 miles in one year?). He travels every single week, it seems.

I like to think of my blog as a cheering section for the Average Joe who wants to travel but doesn't think he can afford it. You can see the world at prices we all can afford is my motto.

The three bloggers I mentioned above are my daily reads and I consider each and every one of them comrades in the writing world. We all get along well, work together on the Chicago Seminars and Frequent Traveler University, and I get advice about my personal travel from all three of them as well. On the topic of sponsored trips as a blogger, however, I'll side with Gary on this one: I am against them.

Maybe it's my age or possibly a better sense of my own capabilities (I am a recovering alcoholic and drug addict), but it is just not a slippery slope I am willing to go down. The stuff I was offered for the articles I just finished for National Car Rental will all be given away, and I disclosed on day one of my posting that I am not a car rental guy by any means. I'm asked all the time to review travel related products and just turn them down when a free sample is involved. I do receive referrals from my advertisers on the blog and that fact is clearly disclosed on the blog.

For me, if I took one free comp I would want another and another after that. I have never disclosed at a hotel or airport check-in that I am a travel blogger and never will. The temptation for me, to use my position as a blogger, is just too great to start down that long and winding road. I may just like traveling for free on someone else's dime too much to resist asking for it again and again, with the unspoken possibility of them receiving a positive review in return.

To my readers, be assured that when I jump on a plane or stay in a hotel, I have either paid for it with my own money or earned the miles and points to do it for free. To my fellow bloggers and friends that have started down that path, I look forward to revisiting the topic with you as the years pass. It will be interesting to see the results from both our perspectives. There is no right or wrong answer here, just two different flights down the same travel highway.
I guess he no longer looks forward to revisiting the topic as the years pass.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:31 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
not that it matters hikert

but frugal travel guy, the person, me, did not change the post. FTG the website changed it it
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HikerT
FTG even censors his own comments.

Before: http://web.archive.org/web/201106081...s-blogger.html

After: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2011/...s-blogger.html

I guess he no longer looks forward to revisiting the topic as the years pass.
Given the recent post abot taking a comp'd offer and then agreeing to not name the company because he was dissatisfied with the service I suppose that change makes sense. After all, how could you claim to be above taking comps while also accepting them and letting them affect the content you publish.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
After all, how could you claim to be above taking comps while also accepting them and letting them affect the content you publish.
Ha, just have "the website" remove the sermon, then you no longer have to practice what you preached.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:17 pm

sbm 12 and hiker t

[QUOTE=HikerT;20924601]Ha, just have "the website" remove the sermon, then you no longer have to practice what you preached. [/

I had no idea it was removed until you pointed it out, but that makes no difference to those looking to cause controversy.

my reply is: Yawn to both
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:20 pm

and here is one more for you

Yawn
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:40 pm

I'm confused. Your website censored you? You changed your position on comps? You no longer look forward to revisiting the topic? Or all 3?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:56 pm

let me help you out here.

I'm confused. Your website censored you? You changed your position on comps? You no longer look forward to revisiting the topic? Or all 3?

Can't believe this is so confusing.

1. it is not my website. it belongs to IB and it appears they changed the post

2. I did take a comp with the caveat up front I would say exactly what I wanted about the experience. I did just that and personally decided not to name the competitors site.

3. What topic would you like me to revisit? Make it a clear question please. To date I have not accepted free flights or hotel rooms, nor meals or merchandise. I still have the computer given to me by Microsoft and will be buying it at the end of my one year free trail period.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
2. I did take a comp with the caveat up front I would say exactly what I wanted about the experience. I did just that and personally decided not to name the competitors site.
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...vice-comp.html

They decided after my results to not have me mention their name and I'm ok with that.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
they asked me not to post and I posted the story anyway without their name.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
3. What topic would you like me to revisit? Make it a clear question please.
No problem. You originally said you were against comps because taking a free comp would make you want another and another after that, and it was a slippery slope you weren't willing to go down. Now it sounds like you are willing to go down that slope as long as you can say exactly what you want about the experience. Also, you originally said you looked forward to revisiting the topic of comps as the years pass, but you seem to have changed that position as well. As far as clear questions, sure...
(1) has your position on comps changed?
(2) if IB is censoring what you write on FTG, then why would you take a comp if you no longer have control to say exactly what you want?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:12 pm

No problem. You originally said you were against comps because taking a free comp would make you want another and another after that, and it was a slippery slope you weren't willing to go down. Now it sounds like you are willing to go down that slope as long as you can say exactly what you want about the experience. Also, you originally said you looked forward to revisiting the topic of comps as the years pass, but you seem to have changed that position as well. As far as clear questions, sure...
(1) has your position on comps changed?
(2) if IB is censoring what you write on FTG, then why would you take a comp if you no longer have control to say exactly what you want?

1. my position on active blog owners taking comps has not changed. I dont think they should. I am no longer a blog owner. that is what has changed. a blog just happens to have the same name as my FT handle. I should probably think about going back it Ingy as my FT handle.

2. I don't think they are censoring what I say, but can't deny the post in question has been change. I had no idea until you brought it up. I can write whatever I want, and if they feel they need to edit, I'm ok with that. They own the blog, not me. "Their blog Their rules."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.