Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Not sure talking about affiliate links is the proper thread to do this

Well, thanks a lot for telling me you will never use (my non existent) affiliate links! You will be shocked about the email I get telling me to ADD them. I am still shocked about it.

Like I said, no time to look into this, it takes away from keeping up with the content. And I don't like to do filler posts.

But, I must admit, if I had any idea how long this blog would take...I would have stayed out of it!!

One day I will likely make sure my friends and family support me as I have managed to help them fly for free for so many years

If you don't click on mine please click on Frequent Miler's links. Content and non pushing should always be rewarded.

For the dear moderator: To keep this relevant, TBB does not censor.

I need to take my daughter for an xray of her ankle. Later amigos
Old May 31, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Can we add FT to the list of places where comments are censored?

Or have we all forgotten that comments get censored here, any talk about mods gets summary dismissal and stern warnings?

As is common in this new forum, I feel I see a pot and a black kettle
Unfortunately, this forum is only to discuss external M&P resources, not this one.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Can we add FT to the list of places where comments are censored?

Or have we all forgotten that comments get censored here, any talk about mods gets summary dismissal and stern warnings?

As is common in this new forum, I feel I see a pot and a black kettle
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Unfortunately, this forum is only to discuss external M&P resources, not this one.
Lets not go there. Plenty of topics to talk about... comments on moderation via PM... CD etc. You know the spiel. Moving along.

Thank you and regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old May 31, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Wouldn't it make sense for Flyertalkers to use Flyertalk as a reference point for those discussions?

In other words -- here's how these external resources are similar (and thus duplicating efforts, and even how well they are doing in duplicating efforts) and how these external resources are different?

Or as Flyertalkers can we simply dish it out but not take it, this transparency and scrutiny I've seen you write about so frequently?
Old May 31, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Or as Flyertalkers can we simply dish it out but not take it, this transparency and scrutiny I've seen you write about so frequently?
ding, ding, ding! we have a winner
Old May 31, 2013, 2:18 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Wouldn't it make sense for Flyertalkers to use Flyertalk as a reference point for those discussions?

In other words -- here's how these external resources are similar (and thus duplicating efforts, and even how well they are doing in duplicating efforts) and how these external resources are different?

It is clear that FlyerTalk censors per its TOS.

And yes, one of those TOS is to not talk much about moderation lest you get censored/moderated.

Lord knows I have had my run ins with transparency around this issue here, and have paid the price in suspensions.

But, again, THIS forum is about external miles and points. There are places to talk about FlyerTalk's policies...this just isn't it.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:05 pm

There are places to talk about FlyerTalk's policies...this just isn't it.
Pray tell what are the places where we can talk about 'which Flyertalk forums censor comments?'

That's a rhetorical question, there aren't any places, right? Because Flyertalk censors comments.

So be it, we don't have to like it, and we can still criticize bloggers for the same thing.

But it is hypocritical. It's hypocritical of Flyertalk to host a forum for bashing blogs [let's face it, that's what it is.. except that it's also a forum for bashing the other 'external resources' like TOBB too] when Flyertalk suffers from the same defects we bash these blogs for.

Internet Brands owns the original credit card affiliate link pimping blog. Flyertalk censors comments. Internet Brands produced embarassingly bad travel articles meant to spoonfeed the masses for clicks and views.

It's also hypocritical of folks frequenting this forum to criticize blogs and not Flyertalk for these failings.

And I should say, I *do* criticize blogs for them. This isn't meant as a defense of bad practices. It's a defense of rigorously applying our critiques (or shutting up).
Old May 31, 2013, 3:09 pm

Pray tell what are the places where we can talk about 'which Flyertalk forums censor comments?'

That's a rhetorical question, there aren't any places, right? Because Flyertalk censors comments.

So be it, we don't have to like it, and we can still criticize bloggers for the same thing.

But it is hypocritical. It's hypocritical of Flyertalk to host a forum for bashing blogs [let's face it, that's what it is.. except that it's also a forum for bashing the other 'external resources' like TOBB too] when Flyertalk suffers from the same defects we bash these blogs for.

Internet Brands owns the original credit card affiliate link pimping blog. Flyertalk censors comments. Internet Brands produced embarassingly bad travel articles meant to spoonfeed the masses for clicks and views.

It's also hypocritical of folks frequenting this forum to criticize blogs and not Flyertalk for these failings.

And I should say, I *do* criticize blogs for them. This isn't meant as a defense of bad practices. It's a defense of rigorously applying our critiques (or shutting up).
Go to milepoint! :P
Old May 31, 2013, 3:39 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I get the biggest kick out of the "original credit card pimping blog" comment. When I was the only one is the credit card space, (started in 2009 with links) I was everyone's fan favorite. Things were still good when TPG got in the game with links in April 2011, but when the BA masses joined the fray in October 2011, how that has changed now that there are 42 "credit card pimping blogs"

It's called "over saturation". Plain and Simple
Old May 31, 2013, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
I get the biggest kick out of the "original credit card pimping blog" comment. When I was the only one is the credit card space, (started in 2009 with links) I was everyone's fan favorite.
A little blast from the past, courtesy of a commenter on gpapadop's blog
http://www.abestweb.com/forums/intro...lo-124317.html

And so it began.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:29 pm

wow thank you

And so it began.
2009 seems like decades ago for the start of affiliate links. i used another company prior to flexoffers so guessing the first cc links in the travel space were early in 2009. my first post was 10/27/2007 so went about two years without them.

thanks for posting that link.

Rick

Last edited by ingy; May 31, 2013 at 9:34 pm
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Gold

And so it began.
Income has been a nice sideline to my blog and greatly appreciated, but now that I found you, maybe I can pick up a few tricks to increase the bottom line.
And ain't that what it's all been about ever since! Thanks for digging that up, FFFF.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by the hotel bar
As is usually the case with CC links, integrity can be bought
No, integrity can't be bought. All that happens when some money is dangled in front of your nose is that it exposes the scumbags from the rest
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
And ain't that what it's all been about ever since! Thanks for digging that up, FFFF.
it's called capitalism. has that become a taboo these days?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by farwest101
No, integrity can't be bought. All that happens when some money is dangled in front of your nose is that it exposes the scumbags from the rest
I don't think for profit people are scumbags. The deal with these blogs is that they exchange information for money. The money aspect is optional, without paid subscribers. IF the post is too helpful it might not garner money, if it is too biased towards just making money it may not be too helpful to those with knowledge. Its a balancing act.

People are getting a little ahead of themselves with the high and might moral code here.

The only Scumbags I have met recently are working for non-profits, now that is a different situation altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.