Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
NICE!

At the time of upgrade, did it show RL award seats available either on UA/MP or ANA/AP?
No RL award seats were showing available at the time (at least on the UA/MP site), that's why I was a little surprised.

BTW, the LAX-TPE upgrade is booked in Z class.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
@ Mr. Roboto

Interesting - when I upgraded in November last year, the same thing happened. I checked on KVS about a week out and award space popped up for the first search; then while on hold to the UA *A line I checked the UA/MP, but it showed no inventory....

Was about to hang up, but thought, hey if you don't ask, you don't get....
and once I got a human on the line, it went through!

Happy flying, and 一路順風!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by sardonic
Damn, I wish I had known about this trick earlier... not sure if I'm doing it right, but I'm flying back to SFO from TPE in <72 hours on BR18 (1/2). There is inventory in RL according to Eva's website, but when I put all my info into the UA redeem miles tool it says no upgrade available. According to Eva I have a B class ticket.

Could it be because I only made *G with my flight here? New status is showing in UA but when I check my flight info in Eva it still has me as Star Alliance Silver. Will calling improve my chances?
I was a UA Silver when I had my upgrade experience. Sometimes the seats for sale do not mean seats for upgrade with UA miles.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Request: SEA-TPE-BKK upgrade from Elite to RL. Travel 12/13Jul, request 07Jul, EVA Gold status. Booking made by consolidator, called EVA to request.

Outcome: Exactly opposite of what I have come to expect. SEA-TPE cleared immediately on request. TPE-BKK cleared 6 hours later.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: TK*S, KF Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
BR 35 YYZ - TPE
19/7
T class
A3*G

Was given an op up to business class due to flight being oversold
First time I've experienced an op up on a long haul!
Assuming my *G gave me priority over others?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:38 am

Hi,

My wife and I are flying back from SIN to SFO in March 2016 and I'm considering flying Eva Air from SIN -> TPE -> SFO. It sounds like their premium economy product is pretty great and I have a lot of Citi points I could transfer to Eva to use to upgrade. That said I'm a bit nervous about the upgrade for a couple of reasons:

1. Eva Air's website makes it sound like I need to not only get an eligible fare class for an upgrade but that I need to buy it from their site (if I want to upgrade using Eva InfinityMiles). The PE fares sold through their site are ~$800 more expensive than through a 3rd party so I'd much rather buy elsewhere for an eligible fare class. Does anyone have any experience upgrading Eva fares purchased from a 3rd party site (eg. Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) using InfinityMiles? I seem to remember having read about people doing this before but can't seem to find it anymore...

2. My read is that IML members get the first chance at Eva upgrades but am I actually going to be in a better spot given vs. UA member I'm just a green IML member? Any ideas/opinions on how likely an upgrade is to clear?

Thanks for all the great advice I've already read on here!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
YYZ TPE a few times now. I always look forward to flights on BR. I only fly J (so RL). Happiest times for sure! Enough time to get smashed, wake up, eat, and get smashed again, while surrounded by beautiful Asian women
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:48 pm

I have spent several days trying to use UA miles to upgrade from economy B to Business on EVA. IAH-TPE-MNL. No success. 3 out of 4 EVA agents says they CANNOT unmarry the segments so the upgrade can be done. UA cant do anything.

Has anyone really been able to get EVA to unmarry segments for upgrade with UA miles???
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Has anyone done a upgrade from BR K to Z by using UA MP miles? From United.com, BR K is also upgradable, along with the usual Y and B. I have successfully upgraded BR B to Z with UA miles. I am just wondering if anyone has actually been successful in upgrading BR K to Z (when space is available).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by jazzhou
Has anyone done a upgrade from BR K to Z by using UA MP miles? From United.com, BR K is also upgradable, along with the usual Y and B. I have successfully upgraded BR B to Z with UA miles. I am just wondering if anyone has actually been successful in upgrading BR K to Z (when space is available).
I have upgraded from K class to RL Z class several time over the years using UA MP miles. Almost all upgrades cleared right away, normally 1~3 months ahead.
Recent upgrades using UA MP : 20Dec14 TPE-LAX, 1Jan15 LAX-TPE, 13Apr15 TPE-LAX, 30Apr15 LAX-TPE.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Thanks, asiadxer, for your confirmation that it can be done. Did you do it online at United.com, or over the phone with a MP agent? When I tried to do the upgrade online, I keep on receiving the message, "We're sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. Please try later or call 1-800-396-1751 for assistance."

EVA informed me that upgrade space is available. I don't know if there is a bug with the new United.com web site, or simply no upgrade space is available, or because of my open-jaw reservation. I've even tried to upgrade by submitting a separate request for each one-way segment. Maybe I should just call United.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I upgraded from BR K to Z back in April on my TPE-LAX flight. I had called BR to confirm upgrade availability before doing it on united.com. It was cleared immediately.

Not sure if you have any married segments? From this forum it seems like the system is not set up to do upgrades on those itineraries.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Thanks, asiadxer, for your confirmation that it can be done. Did you do it online at United.com, or over the phone with a MP agent? When I tried to do the upgrade online, I keep on receiving the message, "We're sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. Please try later or call 1-800-396-1751 for assistance."
I did all of them at United.com. All of the tickets were CGK-TPE-LAX-TPE-CGK. I upgraded just the long haul TPE-LAX-TPE without any problem. I do not know if my EVA elite status has any effect on the request / outcome.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:50 am

We decided against booking this fare after all for various reasons but I did call Eva and from speaking with a representative there it sounds like any fare of an eligible class can be upgraded regardless of how it was purchased.

Thought I'd post in case anyone else is wondering the same thing in the future.

Originally Posted by breadman2
1. Eva Air's website makes it sound like I need to not only get an eligible fare class for an upgrade but that I need to buy it from their site (if I want to upgrade using Eva InfinityMiles). The PE fares sold through their site are ~$800 more expensive than through a 3rd party so I'd much rather buy elsewhere for an eligible fare class. Does anyone have any experience upgrading Eva fares purchased from a 3rd party site (eg. Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) using InfinityMiles? I seem to remember having read about people doing this before but can't seem to find it anymore...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by breadman2
1. Eva Air's website makes it sound like I need to not only get an eligible fare class for an upgrade but that I need to buy it from their site (if I want to upgrade using Eva InfinityMiles). The PE fares sold through their site are ~$800 more expensive than through a 3rd party so I'd much rather buy elsewhere for an eligible fare class. Does anyone have any experience upgrading Eva fares purchased from a 3rd party site (eg. Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) using InfinityMiles? I seem to remember having read about people doing this before but can't seem to find it anymore......
The bolded part is not correct - a ticket in an eligible fare class is upgradable regardless of place of purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.