FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:38 am
breadman2

Hi,

My wife and I are flying back from SIN to SFO in March 2016 and I'm considering flying Eva Air from SIN -> TPE -> SFO. It sounds like their premium economy product is pretty great and I have a lot of Citi points I could transfer to Eva to use to upgrade. That said I'm a bit nervous about the upgrade for a couple of reasons:

1. Eva Air's website makes it sound like I need to not only get an eligible fare class for an upgrade but that I need to buy it from their site (if I want to upgrade using Eva InfinityMiles). The PE fares sold through their site are ~$800 more expensive than through a 3rd party so I'd much rather buy elsewhere for an eligible fare class. Does anyone have any experience upgrading Eva fares purchased from a 3rd party site (eg. Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) using InfinityMiles? I seem to remember having read about people doing this before but can't seem to find it anymore...

2. My read is that IML members get the first chance at Eva upgrades but am I actually going to be in a better spot given vs. UA member I'm just a green IML member? Any ideas/opinions on how likely an upgrade is to clear?

Thanks for all the great advice I've already read on here!