Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: TK M&S E, *A Gold, AP, Asia Miles, Nexus, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chenchak
I'm trying to use my TG miles to upgrade TPE-SFO-TPE from Y/B to C. I used KVS and found that EVA seems to have C availability only about 32 days in advance(May 21st for both ways). Is it the EVA habits of releasing the *A quota not long before the departure date or the flights just happen to be coincidentally full in the later period so the quota is not available?
I'd be interested to know (for the future) as well whether BR releases *A upgrade award seats closer to departure. I had a Y seat for BR 35 April 25. Although award J seats were available, I couldn't seem to upgrade using AP points. Decided to simply pay the change fee and minimal fare difference for Elite class with a week to go.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
My experience today was quite smooth.

First I had a few dates in mind and called EVA (800-695-1188). I told the agent that I intended to use UA miles for fare class B ticket upgrade. She gave me the availability of the dates I suggested.

Then I had the EVA ticket issued. Went to United.com to request *A upgrade awards (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...rdUpgrade.aspx).

Both segments were confirmed instantly. United sent me receipts. Miles were deducted. I was able to select Royal Laurel seats on EVA.com. It all happened within a few minutes.

By the way, I am not sure if "*A upgrade" and "free award seat" are from the same inventory for EVA. I know some FTers said they were both from I class inventory. On United.com, it still shows no free award availability on the flight I selected. However, the EVA agent told me that there were 5 seats available for *A upgrade.
Here is a counter datapoint. I called EVA, and asked if a particular flight has *A upgrades available. The EVA agent said he could not tell me this. That my only choice was to buy the ticket, then check with United. I called United, and the agent also said she couldn't see the inventory, so my best bet is to buy the ticket, try the upgrade, and refund the ticket if it fails.

While EVA has a nice product, their website and phone agents leaves a LOT to be desired. I think they still live in the 1990s, where tickets are sold through TAs.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
*A Upgrade from BR B to Z with UA MP+ Miles

I had a pleasant upgrade experience similar to FT member sfo3388's yesterday.

The upgrade process from BR B fare to Premium Laurel by using UA MP+ miles from another family member's account went easily and successfully.

I was originally booked in M. When seeing free round-trip Premium Laurel award ticket was available on the same BR flights and dates from united.com award search, I thought I'd give the upgrade award a try. I had the BR reservation changed to B and ticket re-issued. Asked the family member to log on to United.com to request *A upgrade with my name, flights, dates and PNR.

The upgrade for both the outbound and inbound segments were available and cleared instantly. Confirmation was issued and miles were deducted. I went on evaair.com to select Premium Laurel seats. I wished everything could be so easy and simple everytime, all the time.

The fare class now shows Z on on my BR PNR. I found out from another post on the UA Forum that I may have a problem crediting the original B fare miles to my UA MP+ account because the fare bucket is now Z. Not everything can be so easy all the time.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by jazzhou
The fare class now shows Z on on my BR PNR. I found out from another post on the UA Forum that I may have a problem crediting the original B fare miles to my UA MP+ account because the fare bucket is now Z. Not everything can be so easy all the time.
EVA Air Upgrade Award
The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applicable to transfer mileage to other partner airlines.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by asiadxer
The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applicable to transfer mileage to other partner airlines.
Thanks. I saw the same earlier on evaair.com. That's why I went on this and the UA board to check on others' experience on the matter. It looks like only BR Infinity MileageLands can take my miles this time.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Here is a counter datapoint. I called EVA, and asked if a particular flight has *A upgrades available. The EVA agent said he could not tell me this. That my only choice was to buy the ticket, then check with United. I called United, and the agent also said she couldn't see the inventory, so my best bet is to buy the ticket, try the upgrade, and refund the ticket if it fails.

While EVA has a nice product, their website and phone agents leaves a LOT to be desired. I think they still live in the 1990s, where tickets are sold through TAs.
Like calling any airlines, I would hang up and dial again to speak to next agent. I did mention something like Z class though.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by jazzhou
Thanks. I saw the same earlier on evaair.com. That's why I went on this and the UA board to check on others' experience on the matter. It looks like only BR Infinity MileageLands can take my miles this time.
Originally Posted by asiadxer
EVA Air Upgrade Award
I have done "buy B-class BR ticket and upgrade with UA miles" twice this year. Once in late January. Once in March/April. So far, all miles were credited to my UA account, roughly a week after the flight. The flights were between SFO and TPE. I got 6455 miles posted to my UA account for each segment.

I saw the statement (EVA Air Upgrade Award) in January and had same concerns about having miles posted to BR account. I called BR. The answer is that if you use BR miles to upgrade, you can only credit the flights to BR account.

One warning about the upgrade is that it is hard to change dates/flights. For example, I was trying to change my flight from BR028 to BR018 on the same date. The agent in Taipei office said he had to downgrade me to economy and return the miles to UA. I would have to re-apply with UA miles to the new flight from United.com.

Last edited by sfo3388; May 8, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old May 15, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: LX M&M
Just booked a one way award with M&M miles.

Routing: ZRH-CDG LX C / CDG-TPE-PVG BR C

Very happy to try out the famous Royal Laurel Seats soon.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I recently flew AMS-BKK on a ticket booked in Elite class. When I bought the ticket a few months earlier, there were only a few elite seats left for purchase. When I checked in and when by boarding pass was scanned, I simply asked if there were opportunities to upgrade but was told no. Then about 15 minutes before boarding began, my name was called and I received an op-up into Royal Laurel. Needless to say, I was thrilled and very thankful.

I think only one other person was upgraded. Not having status with EVA but being *Gold suggests there must have been few high-tier EVA elites on the flight, or at least those booked in Elite class.

That flight was among the best I've ever experienced. Excellent hard product and stellar service. I'll certainly be looking for opportunities to fly them again.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Just did this last night, and think I have some new information to share so posting my experience.

I don't have KVS or expert flyer, but found a way to search for award/upgrade (assuming if an award is available I would be able to upgrade) , and was pleasantly surprised.

I had 39K miles, so I had enough to upgrade PE to C, or Y to PE. I signed into my BR account and was able to search award seats in C/PE, and it either told me it's wait-listed or takes me to the next page (indicating availability). The flights I wanted didn't have C availability, but did have PE availability, so I booked a Y ticket (M fare) with cash and miles (BR miles expire, this was better than losing them altogether) and tried to upgrade.

I enter my confirmation number and was offered upgrade to both PE and C (both showing confirmed availability). Y to PE only cost 15K miles (vs. 25K published on the web-site) to boot! But I didn't have enough miles to upgrade to C, even if I bought a separate PE ticket. So I quickly canceled my Y ticket (within 24 hour refund period) and the webpage said it could take up to TWO MONTHS to process.... Thankfully, my miles showed up about 15 minutes later (don't know about my credit card, but not worried about that yet)

Now with enough miles to upgrade, I bought a PE ticket (T Fare I believe), and upgraded to Royal Laurel (Z Fare) for 35K miles I was able to select seats immediately (4 seats left after I chose mine).

So, it seems BR is more generous on upgrade than award availability even to it's own FFs.

PS: I am BR Silver, which probably did not matter but thought I would mention.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by AnalogMan
I enter my confirmation number and was offered upgrade to both PE and C (both showing confirmed availability). Y to PE only cost 15K miles (vs. 25K published on the web-site) to boot! But I didn't have enough miles to upgrade to C, even if I bought a separate PE ticket. So I quickly canceled my Y ticket (within 24 hour refund period) and the webpage said it could take up to TWO MONTHS to process.... Thankfully, my miles showed up about 15 minutes later (don't know about my credit card, but not worried about that yet)

So, it seems BR is more generous on upgrade than award availability even to it's own FFs.
EVA has promotion going for North American & European flights, Economy to Elite upgrade for only 15K miles till Dec 11, 2014.

My experience with EVA online 24hr cancellation refund, my US credit card was credited within 7-10 days.

Its easier getting award for BR own IML members, however less miles using UA MP for the Elite to RL upgradable fares.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Thanks, didn't know about the upgrade discount promotion, must be low season, and the reason why I am able to get an upgrade 5 weeks out from departure

Star Alliance upgrades cost less money but need higher fare classes. I am very glad I got to use up most of my BR miles on the upgrade though. I don't think I am going to stay a BR FF, probably going to switch to A3 and try to get *G there with my 1 TPAC a year.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:30 pm

Can someone confirm I can upgrade a ticket with the return in B class with UA miles ? The outbound is in Elite. TY!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunil
Can someone confirm I can upgrade a ticket with the return in B class with UA miles ? The outbound is in Elite. TY!
I have upgraded a B fare to business class using Aeroplan miles.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Seems like they are releasing upgrade/award tickets about 1.5 months out, and only the off peak flights.
Peak flights seem to be released less than a week out, depending on availability.
Best bet, hedge your bets by getting KVS, check to see you're not flying on a holiday, and be at peace with parting with a Y or B fare with the possibility you'll be flying in Y or B (which I would say is still much better than any US flag carrier econ class).
Sucks to have to spend the last week of my vacation checking for availability, but lets face it, I'd be doing the same thing, but now at the comfort of poolside.
Happy flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.