Reload this Page >

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 9:08 am

Anyone thinking of using separate tickets for a "transit"? Entering data into the Timatic form and declaring you are transiting makes it look doable, but if I show up to depart with a UA ticket to FRA and an Aegean ticket to ATH that departs in the next 23 hours...seems like the odds of failure are pretty high. I guess the question is whether Timatic information is applicable to each ticket rather than each person's itinerary.

ETA: No checked baggage
Old May 23, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Does anyone know if the country-specific exemptions from (https://travel.gov.gr/#/) apply to citizens regardless of origin flights?

The countries from which entry is allowed, under the aforementioned conditions, without the requirement for subsequent self-isolation are: EU & Schengen Area countries, USA, UK, Israel, Serbia, UAE, New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Thailand, Rwanda, Singapore, the Russian Federation, North Macedonia, Canada, Belarus, Bahrein, Qatar, China, Kuwait, Ukraine, and Saudi Arabia.
Example - if I am a citizen of one of these countries but arrive via a third country (temporary tourist stay), would I still be exempt from quarantine with a vaccination?
Old May 23, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DH77024
... guess we'll have to print out all the relevant government rules to be ready to argue at the airport.
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We plan to print Greece and Germany's rules and our full itinerary. We have left plenty of time in both DFW and FRA to argue with people. We shall see.
Printouts mean nothing to agents. The airline goes by their own system which may or may not match the wording on your printout. Then, the airline may have its own policies/interpretations. In the end, it's up to each individual agent's interpretation of the policies. And you might be dealing with more than one agent depending on how many times they check your paperwork along the way. It only takes one misinformed agent to screw up your trip. This has always been an issue, it's just 10X worse with COVID. Your best bet is to try to figure out the interpretation yourself and reduce risk as much as possible within your control. (ie. Test AND vaccination, have refundable reservations, etc)
Old May 23, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI if you are on Lufthansa all the way through they have clarified. Several passengers have reported smooth connections in Frankfurt from US to Greece but they were on one LH ticket.

eng3 and 84fiero like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:50 pm

On May 21, I completed my trip from NY to Greece via FRA using just my US passport and CDC card. I had the various printouts to show the ticketing agents and German Border Control, but no issues to report with my transit. German Border Police asked me for my itinerary, including my booked ticket home, PLF, and the purpose of my travel (tourism).

Just another data-point for the other travelers.
eng3 and 84fiero like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Some datapoints: we are in Athens now. We transited thru LHR: SFO-JFK-LHR-ATH, on AA and BA (last leg). The AA check-in agent took about 30 min to check us in, and we were getting nervous something wasn't right, but it turns out she was just clueless and didn't know what she was doing. Entered Greece with CDC vaccination card - was a breeze. Transited UK with PCR test 72 hours before departure of our JFK-LHR leg.

Note that we also had to fill out PLF forms: one for each of us for the UK, and a single PLF for both of us for Greece. IIRC the Greek PLF needs to be filled out online 24 (or 48?) hours before you arrive in Greece. They email you the actual PLF with QR code at midnight of the day of your arrival - I got ours while we were in JFK and printed it out at the Admirals Club. The Greek PLF was checked by BA before they issued our boarding passes for the last leg. Another lady on our flight did not have her PLF completed and I think she ended up missing the flight.

Athens restaurants and site seeing sites are all open. There was zero line to get tickets at the Acropolis. Our guide said 15K people visit the Acropolis every day during normal times, and it seemed there was maybe 150 people there! Good for us, but feel bad for the tourism industry. I think things will pick up quickly this summer, though.

Heading to the islands tomorrow via domestic flight.
84fiero and becks1 like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Did you catch anywhere in athens (like downtown) where you could get a PCR test? I know the airport has them but its inconvenient to go back there. I'm doing the opposite of you, islands then athens. With my itn, I can either get it in Rhodes somewhere (not sure what the airport offers) or perhaps on arrival at the athens airport
Old May 24, 2021, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DPatel
On May 21, I completed my trip from NY to Greece via FRA using just my US passport and CDC card. I had the various printouts to show the ticketing agents and German Border Control, but no issues to report with my transit. German Border Police asked me for my itinerary, including my booked ticket home, PLF, and the purpose of my travel (tourism).

Just another data-point for the other travelers.
Thank you! Were you on one ticket or two? Also you did only a Greek PLF, correct? None for Germany as a transit passenger?
Old May 24, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Some datapoints: we are in Athens now. We transited thru LHR: SFO-JFK-LHR-ATH, on AA and BA (last leg). The AA check-in agent took about 30 min to check us in, and we were getting nervous something wasn't right, but it turns out she was just clueless and didn't know what she was doing. Entered Greece with CDC vaccination card - was a breeze. Transited UK with PCR test 72 hours before departure of our JFK-LHR leg.

Note that we also had to fill out PLF forms: one for each of us for the UK, and a single PLF for both of us for Greece. IIRC the Greek PLF needs to be filled out online 24 (or 48?) hours before you arrive in Greece. They email you the actual PLF with QR code at midnight of the day of your arrival - I got ours while we were in JFK and printed it out at the Admirals Club. The Greek PLF was checked by BA before they issued our boarding passes for the last leg. Another lady on our flight did not have her PLF completed and I think she ended up missing the flight.
Wow, that's a lot of hoops (UK PLF, Greek PLF, 72 hour PCR test) to go from US to Greece. Glad you made it ok.

When I was initially booking my flights to Greece, I considered British Airways and Lufthansa connecting through the UK and Germany, respectively. But then the more I read about the transit rules, the more I thought, OK, just use a US airline that connects in the USA, i.e., only two countries involved (I ultimately booked UA from SFO to ATH, and AA from ATH to SFO, which connected through IAD and PHL, respectively). That way, I only need to fill out the Greek PLF form, and do not need any test going to ATH since I have my CDC vaccine certs.
nk15 likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that's a lot of hoops (UK PLF, Greek PLF, 72 hour PCR test) to go from US to Greece. Glad you made it ok.

When I was initially booking my flights to Greece, I considered British Airways and Lufthansa connecting through the UK and Germany, respectively. But then the more I read about the transit rules, the more I thought, OK, just use a US airline that connects in the USA, i.e., only two countries involved (I ultimately booked UA from SFO to ATH, and AA from ATH to SFO, which connected through IAD and PHL, respectively). That way, I only need to fill out the Greek PLF form, and do not need any test going to ATH since I have my CDC vaccine certs.
We are DFW- FRA (AA) and FRA-JTR (LH) and should not need a PCR as both countries accept CDC vaccine card. Germany says no PLF needed for transit. So on paper it SHOULD be simple. My only concern is AA says nope at the gate.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
For those of you who will go to Corfu, Crete or Rhodes and if you need a PCR or antigenic test, they have a super website to book your test and they come to your hotel to do it. Price : 60€. You can pay online. I just did it and it is super simple
www.doctornearyou.gr
Old May 24, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
For those of you who will go to Corfu, Crete or Rhodes and if you need a PCR or antigenic test, they have a super website to book your test and they come to your hotel to do it. Price : 60€. You can pay online. I just did it and it is super simple
www.doctornearyou.gr
Nice. I wish they had the locations all on a map so I could see where would be most convenient to go. (I'll only be in rhodes for the day, no overnight)
Old May 24, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status

Yep, it was a lot of hoops, and I was nervous it wouldn't work out. Transiting LHR was really my only option with AA as the USA-ATH direct flights on AA have not started yet. Used miles for a Saaver award in J.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by eng3
Did you catch anywhere in athens (like downtown) where you could get a PCR test? I know the airport has them but its inconvenient to go back there. I'm doing the opposite of you, islands then athens. With my itn, I can either get it in Rhodes somewhere (not sure what the airport offers) or perhaps on arrival at the athens airport
Just walk in any pharmacy, they will direct you to the nearest clinic that does a PCR test. Almost every Greek private clinic does one, at a price cap of 40 EUR.

Here is one example.
​​​​​​https://bioiatriki.gr/covid-19-en.php
greenteamuimui likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Most, if not all Microbiologist offices do Covid tests, in my experience. Any facility that does blood tests basically will do Covid testing. Obviously make sure to say that it is needed in English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.