Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:50 am

Hi,

I had a two questions.

1) When should we fill out our PLF? We travel June 26 at 7:30pm from JFK and arrive at ATH at 12:30pm via delta.

2) We want to head to JTR as soon as we can. I see a sky express flight at 2:00pm. Do you think we can make it? My wife and I will be traveling delta one from JFK, so we should be able to leave the plane fast. However, we will have one checked bag, will have to go through immigration, pick up the bag, check in with sky express and then go through security again.

We are in our 30s and can hustle to the terminal.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:04 am

That seems really aggressive. What if your flight is delayed out of JFK because they're verifying everyone's paperwork and there are issues? What if you get chosen for a random COVID test on arrival?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by HerbTravels
That seems really aggressive. What if your flight is delayed out of JFK because they're verifying everyone's paperwork and there are issues? What if you get chosen for a random COVID test on arrival?
thanks for the in sight. I was reading that ATH is very efficient and to me it made this an option. The next flight isn’t till 4:50pm. Kind of a bummer to sit that long in the airport.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:24 am

I think in normal times it might be worth trying but these are far from normal times and things can go sideways quickly. If it were all on one ticket, then sure because they'd just put you on the next flight anyway. But booking tickets separately, you might find yourself having to buy a whole new ticket at the airport.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Big national strike today, public transit and ferries may be affected until midnight...Lucky visitors will be immersed in the local experience...

Δεμένα τα πλοία στον Πειραιά - Κινητοποίηση από ναυτεργατικά σωματεία (ΦΩΤΟ) | ΣΚΑΪ (skai.gr)

Last edited by nk15; Jun 10, 2021 at 6:41 am
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Vaccination status will work perfectly fine too for intra-Greek flights and ferries.

Note that this is only needed when flying/taking a ferry from the mainland TO the islands, not from the islands back to the mainland/between the islands.
I had not noticed this requirement. My son will be joining us on our trip and while vaccinated, he does not have a CDC card. He is going to get a test for entry (JFK-ATH), but I guess he will need further tests as we fly to Crete. I assume PCR test is still the requirement and the Emed Binax tests we have for return are not good enough to use for inter-island flight from ATH.

ETA: To maybe answer my own question, the Olympic Air web site indicates self test is ok, though the specifics of the tests aren't mentioned. It seems the EMED self test does not produce all the detailed results that the UK wants, so it is fuzzy whether it is good enough for Greece.

As of 14/05/2021, all passengers on domestic flights to island destinations must meet ONE of the following requirements:
  • have completed at least fourteen (14) days of vaccination for COVID-19 and present a vaccination certificate, which has been issued through the official website. In the case of foreigners from abroad, have completed at least fourteen days (14) the vaccination for COVID-19 and present a vaccination certificate in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Russian, issued by a public authority in accordance with the relevant legislation. The vaccination certificate includes the name of the person, the type of vaccine given and the number of doses.
  • have a negative COVID-19 test with a PCR test performed within the last seventy-two (72) hours prior to the scheduled travel time or with a rapid antigen test within the last twenty-four (24) hours before the scheduled travel time. In the case of foreigners from abroad, they can provide a negative test certificate in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Russian.
  • have been diagnosed negative in a self-test within twenty-four (24) hours before the scheduled travel time and is certified with a relevant certificate displayed on paper. The certification of the result will be done through the declaration of self-test result certification for COVID-19.
  • to present proof of recovery from COVID-19, valid as of two months after positive PCR or antigen test up to 9 months.

Last edited by xooz; Jun 10, 2021 at 6:50 am
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lancem504
Hi,

2) We want to head to JTR as soon as we can. I see a sky express flight at 2:00pm. Do you think we can make it? My wife and I will be traveling delta one from JFK, so we should be able to leave the plane fast. However, we will have one checked bag, will have to go through immigration, pick up the bag, check in with sky express and then go through security again.

We are in our 30s and can hustle to the terminal.
The other question is are they using jet bridges or busing people to the terminal...
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by nk15
The other question is are they using jet bridges or busing people to the terminal...
Which one is faster out of curiosity and for which leg were you referring to?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which one is faster out of curiosity and for which leg were you referring to?
I am referring to the TATL leg. A jet bridge will get you out first if you are in Delta One, the bus may delay you and also put you in a group of people that may or may not include PE and others, who may cut in front of you in the immigration line...If they bus you, you have to sit next to the door and guess correctly which doors will open, if the bus has doors on both sides... . If you guess wrong, you will be in the back of that group...
bdb likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 10, 2021 at 8:09 am
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:31 am
bdb

Yup. Saw the strike today when we walked around. Got a COVId test done right by syntagma square. Homed.gr 20 euro. Number Ermou 18 is the address. If you hit the H&M you went too far 5 min to get the result.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 5:05 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Are copies of the vaccination card accepted for entry into Greece? My vaccine card is missing almost all of my personal info, it only has my first name. But I can print out a copy from my insurer online account that has all the relevant info included.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Hi,

I had a two questions.

1) When should we fill out our PLF? We travel June 26 at 7:30pm from JFK and arrive at ATH at 12:30pm via delta.
Do it a couple of days before departure.
Lancem504 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:15 am
bdb

final Update.

Departed Athens for Munich yesterday, they checked the covid test, and that gave us the forms for the US health affirmation form ( you write your name on it and sign it. )
Landing in Munich 2 Police officers greeted everyone and checked their paperwork, we had what we needed to connect to the US. this would have taken a while if you were near the back of the plane FYI for anyone with short connections.

Then before getting to our get as is typical departing Europe for the EU our forms were checked again ( this is where the health affirmation form was checked )

Nothing at all upon arrival in the US, and now Global Entry is just Facial Recognition ! No need to press any buttons really on the screen.
nk15 likes this.

Last edited by bdb; Jun 13, 2021 at 8:24 am
Old Jun 13, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
What's the mask situation in GR right now? Do you have to wear one outdoors? What is compliance with it etc.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
What's the mask situation in GR right now? Do you have to wear one outdoors? What is compliance with it etc.
I am wondering about the mask situation in Europe in general? Like in Spain and other countries. Are people still wearing masks in public? Here in the U.S, in most states I hardly see anyone wearing masks anymore since last month.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.