Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Anyone travelled to Greece yet since it reopened to Americans? Please share experiences and tips.

I booked a flight to Athens for first week of June. Hopefully by then, interisland travel is allowed so I can visit Mykonos and Santorini during this trip.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
I haven't been yet, but am considering a trip in a little over a week. Friends of mine went a couple weeks ago and said it was wonderful - a bit quiet, but great to enjoy Athens with no tourists.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not so long ago, restaurants in Athens were closed. I'd suggest checking what's open and whether you need to buy timed museum tickets in advance. Check also whether hotel pools and other facilities are open. I don't know whether travel to the islands would carry additional restrictions.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not so long ago, restaurants in Athens were closed. I'd suggest checking what's open and whether you need to buy timed museum tickets in advance. Check also whether hotel pools and other facilities are open. I don't know whether travel to the islands would carry additional restrictions.
Island travel is fine for tourists, id say after may 14 things will look very normal in Greece except for masks
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Are the ferries running? We have trip planned in late May. We need to get to Naxos from Athens around May 24th time frame (might fly) and then a ferry from Naxos to Santorini a few days later.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Island travel is fine for tourists, id say after may 14 things will look very normal in Greece except for masks
What do you think about travel before then? With restaurants and cafes opening next week, might it be nice to visit before the 14th when things open up more?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by yonajon
What do you think about travel before then? With restaurants and cafes opening next week, might it be nice to visit before the 14th when things open up more?
It's up to you really! The earlier you go, the less tourists there will be.
yonajon likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
whats the best route to get there? everything I can find stops through schengen....
Old May 1, 2021, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Amil
whats the best route to get there? everything I can find stops through schengen....
UK
Old May 1, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You can still transit in a few of those countries - check their latest rules.

Several non-stops operating from the US: EK and UA from EWR; AA and DL from JFK; AA from ORD; DL from ATL.

Republic of Ireland and Turkey are also viable. QR has had some decent fares show up when I've looked into ATH.
Amil likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by 84fiero
You can still transit in a few of those countries - check their latest rules.

Several non-stops operating from the US: EK and UA from EWR; AA and DL from JFK; AA from ORD; DL from ATL.

Republic of Ireland and Turkey are also viable. QR has had some decent fares show up when I've looked into ATH.
In june those flights come back. according to google flights nothing from america to athens nonstop this week at least.

Really? I wasn't aware of any schengen countries allowing schengen transit for US tourists?
Old May 4, 2021, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
In june those flights come back. according to google flights nothing from america to athens nonstop this week at least.

Really? I wasn't aware of any schengen countries allowing schengen transit for US tourists?
I transited in Istanbul (from the US) on my way to Dubrovnik without a problem.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
What are the rules on domestic travel for non-residents/non-citizens? I was thinking of flying from Athens to Santorini (and back) and was wondering if I'd need to do something to complete that leg of the trip. But I guess the entry standards should be the same for both.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:47 am

So, just to be clear, Greece still requires PCR test from all arrivals (including US citizens who are vaccinated)?
Old May 10, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tr3k
So, just to be clear, Greece still requires PCR test from all arrivals (including US citizens who are vaccinated)?
My understanding from the links below is that vaccinated US citizens would not be required to present a PCR test.

https://travel.gov.gr/#/
https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
LETTERBOY and tr3k like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.