Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MCI/ORD/CDG
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 771
Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Anyone travelled to Greece yet since it reopened to Americans? Please share experiences and tips.

I booked a flight to Athens for first week of June. Hopefully by then, interisland travel is allowed so I can visit Mykonos and Santorini during this trip.
BlindPilot is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:56 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Israel
Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Posts: 633
I haven't been yet, but am considering a trip in a little over a week. Friends of mine went a couple weeks ago and said it was wonderful - a bit quiet, but great to enjoy Athens with no tourists.
yonajon is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:31 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,612
Not so long ago, restaurants in Athens were closed. I'd suggest checking what's open and whether you need to buy timed museum tickets in advance. Check also whether hotel pools and other facilities are open. I don't know whether travel to the islands would carry additional restrictions.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:21 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Posts: 4,489
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not so long ago, restaurants in Athens were closed. I'd suggest checking what's open and whether you need to buy timed museum tickets in advance. Check also whether hotel pools and other facilities are open. I don't know whether travel to the islands would carry additional restrictions.
Island travel is fine for tourists, id say after may 14 things will look very normal in Greece except for masks
LETTERBOY likes this.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SFO or OAK
Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Posts: 1,467
Are the ferries running? We have trip planned in late May. We need to get to Naxos from Athens around May 24th time frame (might fly) and then a ferry from Naxos to Santorini a few days later.
mangoMan is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Israel
Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Island travel is fine for tourists, id say after may 14 things will look very normal in Greece except for masks
What do you think about travel before then? With restaurants and cafes opening next week, might it be nice to visit before the 14th when things open up more?
yonajon is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Posts: 4,489
Originally Posted by yonajon
What do you think about travel before then? With restaurants and cafes opening next week, might it be nice to visit before the 14th when things open up more?
It's up to you really! The earlier you go, the less tourists there will be.
yonajon likes this.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP.
Posts: 1,332
whats the best route to get there? everything I can find stops through schengen....
Amil is offline  
Old May 1, 2021, 2:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Posts: 4,489
Originally Posted by Amil
whats the best route to get there? everything I can find stops through schengen....
UK
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old May 1, 2021, 8:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,677
Originally Posted by Amil
whats the best route to get there? everything I can find stops through schengen....
You can still transit in a few of those countries - check their latest rules.

Several non-stops operating from the US: EK and UA from EWR; AA and DL from JFK; AA from ORD; DL from ATL.

Republic of Ireland and Turkey are also viable. QR has had some decent fares show up when I've looked into ATH.
Amil likes this.
84fiero is offline  
Old May 1, 2021, 9:48 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP.
Posts: 1,332
Originally Posted by 84fiero
You can still transit in a few of those countries - check their latest rules.

Several non-stops operating from the US: EK and UA from EWR; AA and DL from JFK; AA from ORD; DL from ATL.

Republic of Ireland and Turkey are also viable. QR has had some decent fares show up when I've looked into ATH.
In june those flights come back. according to google flights nothing from america to athens nonstop this week at least.


Really? I wasn't aware of any schengen countries allowing schengen transit for US tourists?
Amil is offline  
Old May 4, 2021, 6:22 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MCI/ORD/CDG
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 771
Originally Posted by Amil
In june those flights come back. according to google flights nothing from america to athens nonstop this week at least.


Really? I wasn't aware of any schengen countries allowing schengen transit for US tourists?
I transited in Istanbul (from the US) on my way to Dubrovnik without a problem.
BlindPilot is offline  
Old May 5, 2021, 7:27 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Programs: MileagePlus
Posts: 200
What are the rules on domestic travel for non-residents/non-citizens? I was thinking of flying from Athens to Santorini (and back) and was wondering if I'd need to do something to complete that leg of the trip. But I guess the entry standards should be the same for both.
kac2138 is offline  
Old May 10, 2021, 9:47 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,735
So, just to be clear, Greece still requires PCR test from all arrivals (including US citizens who are vaccinated)?
tr3k is offline  
Old May 10, 2021, 9:59 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold 0.665MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by tr3k
So, just to be clear, Greece still requires PCR test from all arrivals (including US citizens who are vaccinated)?
My understanding from the links below is that vaccinated US citizens would not be required to present a PCR test.

https://travel.gov.gr/#/
https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
LETTERBOY and tr3k like this.
thewayofthefuture is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.