Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by boscobjgd
I'd like to add my experience. My husband and I are US citizens, fully vaccinated and arrived yesterday:
1. We transited through Amsterdam to Greece from the US (LAX-AMS-ATH) without any problem;
2. On arrival in Athens, there were separate lines for people with vaccination cards and those who only had the PCR test. The vaccinated line was significantly shorter (think five people v. a hundred) and wasn't subject to secondary health screening;
3. The person at the head of the line glanced at our cards (presumably saw they were CDC cards) and waved us through. He didn't check it against our passports.
wow you went through schengen with no issues? thats kind of breakthrough
Old May 16, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
I visited Athens last week from Israel, with an Israeli vaccination certificate. On arrival, someone half heartedly glanced at my certificate and did not compare it with my passport or verify it in any way. No one checked my PLF.

Athens was amazing. The situation has changed for the better since I was there, but even during my visit it was almost all open - restaurants and cafes were operating full steam, small stores let me in with no appointment (large stores did not), and most sights other than museums were open. Metro was running smoothly, taxis were readily available, and the airport was quiet with no lines in either direction. Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by yonajon; May 16, 2021 at 2:19 am
Old May 16, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DH77024
How was the line going through passport/customs? Did the COVID certificate check add any significant delays?
As another poster mentioned, having a vaccine certificate sped up the process significantly vs. those showing a PCR test. At the checkpoint in the hallway between the arrival gate and immigration, those showing PCR tests are sent to a decently long line to the right, while the few of us showing vaccine cards were sent to the left for a quick glance at the cards and a wave through. As for immigration itself, absolutely no issues and the border officer never asked for my vaccine card. Stamped into Schengen with no questions asked, just like in the Before Times.

I can also confirm that bars and restaurants are open and quite busy all over Athens. I believe only outdoor seating is available except for in hotels, but it’s Greece, so there is no shortage of that. Shopping and tourist sites/museums also seem to be back to normal.

Headed to Meteora for a couple days now, then out to the Islands on Friday. I’ll report back on my experience with the ferry.
yonajon likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Following up on this, my husband, daughter (age 10), and I will be arriving on July 5th. Plan to spend a few days in Athens then on two separate islands.

He and I will be vaccinated, she will not. Does she need a covid test every time we move from one location to another? Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.
If not fully vaccinated, you need a PCR within 72 hours or a rapid test within 24 hours, to board a plane or ship. It is not needed for land transport. I am not sure about any age exceptions.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by DH77024
Thanks for the update.
The Greek travel.gov.gr site has the following requirement:
"All certificates must include the critical information (i.e. number of doses and their respective dates) in English, German French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and the person’s full name must match the name on the passport or any other recognized travel document."

So my daughter-in-law is traveling to Greece next month, but her CDC card does not include her middle name (i.e., CDC card has first name, last name, but no middle name). Her passport is first name, middle name, last name.

Did you have the same issue? And if so, did they give you a hard time? It comes down to what they mean by "full name"--i.e., is first name, last name sufficient?
nobody cares about middle names in Europe. She will be fine.
LETTERBOY, nk15 and becks1 like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by nk15
If not fully vaccinated, you need a PCR within 72 hours or a rapid test within 24 hours, to board a plane or ship. It is not needed for land transport. I am not sure about any age exceptions.
Thank you!
Old May 16, 2021, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Amil
wow you went through schengen with no issues? thats kind of breakthrough
Yes! Originally we were booked LAX-AMS-IST-ATH (after numerous conversations with the Dutch and Greek consulates) and at checkin the agent said "why are you doing this? I have Americans going to Athens every day." So when we got to Amsterdam we rebooked the connecting flight and voila.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome update. We are transiting FRA to Santorini in a couple of weeks, happy to share our experience or hear anyone else's on transit in FRA or arrival in JTR.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
As another poster mentioned, having a vaccine certificate sped up the process significantly vs. those showing a PCR test. At the checkpoint in the hallway between the arrival gate and immigration, those showing PCR tests are sent to a decently long line to the right, while the few of us showing vaccine cards were sent to the left for a quick glance at the cards and a wave through. As for immigration itself, absolutely no issues and the border officer never asked for my vaccine card. Stamped into Schengen with no questions asked, just like in the Before Times.

I can also confirm that bars and restaurants are open and quite busy all over Athens. I believe only outdoor seating is available except for in hotels, but it’s Greece, so there is no shortage of that. Shopping and tourist sites/museums also seem to be back to normal.

Headed to Meteora for a couple days now, then out to the Islands on Friday. I’ll report back on my experience with the ferry.
Great update. Traveling there on June 6 (USA to Athens, then onward to Mykonos and Santorini). Thanks for warming up the place for us!
thewayofthefuture likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:05 am

Thanks for all of the updates -- we are flying direct from ORD to ATH at end of June, then a few days later onwards to Crete. Fully vaccinated. Can't wait to visit again and to read updates!
thewayofthefuture likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:05 am

I'd like to add my experience. My husband and I are US citizens, fully vaccinated and arrived yesterday:
1. We transited through Amsterdam to Greece from the US (LAX-AMS-ATH) without any problem;
2. On arrival in Athens, there were separate lines for people with vaccination cards and those who only had the PCR test. The vaccinated line was significantly shorter (think five people v. a hundred) and wasn't subject to secondary health screening;
3. The person at the head of the line glanced at our cards (presumably saw they were CDC cards) and waved us through. He didn't check it against our passports.
Great to hear no problems in AMS. They did not ask for official permission to enter Greece as the Netherlands website advises? Also, confirming you only had to do the 72-hour PCR test prior to landing at AMS.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by jayc
Great to hear no problems in AMS. They did not ask for official permission to enter Greece as the Netherlands website advises? Also, confirming you only had to do the 72-hour PCR test prior to landing at AMS.
We did not have official permission to enter Greece, which is why we had booked through Istanbul initially because we understood from conversations with the Dutch consulate that official permission to enter Greece was necessary to transit Amsterdam. We only had to show the passenger locator form required by Greece and the PCR test to get our boarding passes. And yes, we only did the 72-hour PCR test and not the additional 24-hour test - but this was something they were strict about at every step along the way, including upon de-planing in Amsterdam and at passport control.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:40 pm

We did not have official permission to enter Greece, which is why we had booked through Istanbul initially because we understood from conversations with the Dutch consulate that official permission to enter Greece was necessary to transit Amsterdam. We only had to show the passenger locator form required by Greece and the PCR test to get our boarding passes. And yes, we only did the 72-hour PCR test and not the additional 24-hour test - but this was something they were strict about at every step along the way, including upon de-planing in Amsterdam and at passport control.
Wonderful to hear. Have a great time.
Old May 17, 2021, 9:47 am

Based on my understanding that if we are fully vaccinated (>14 days), we just need a CDC card to transit Frankfurt to get to Greece. I believe Germany just updated the requirement and now allows fully vaccinated travelers from the US transit to other countries.

Anyone look into this / transit thru Germany recently?
Old May 17, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DPatel
Based on my understanding that if we are fully vaccinated (>14 days), we just need a CDC card to transit Frankfurt to get to Greece. I believe Germany just updated the requirement and now allows fully vaccinated travelers from the US transit to other countries.

Anyone look into this / transit thru Germany recently?
Multiple FTers are doing this in next few weeks and everyone is anxiously awaiting the report of the first guinea pig. I am hoping I am not the first one!
ahmetdouas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.