Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We flew AA/Lufthansa LAX-DFW-FRA-Santorini no problems. Vaccine card only at LAX, FRA and here. Also filled out Greece PLF. No issues despite several people telling us it would be.
Did you clear immigration entering EU at FRA? Or did they force you in a special area for transiting to Santorini?
Old May 29, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by IamHungry
Did you guys clear immigration entering EU at AMS? Or did they put you into a special transit zone to ATH?
Immigration to enter the Schengen area is done in AMS. No special transit zone.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Did you clear immigration entering EU at FRA? Or did they force you in a special area for transiting to Santorini?
Same answer
Old May 29, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Same answer
So basically if you have no checked bag you are free to enter Germany and dropped your flight to Greece even though Germany does not let Americans in?
Old May 29, 2021, 9:18 pm

There does seem to be at least one data point confirming transit with only vaccine card, even when the "transit" is a separate ticket. This would require no checked baggage to avoid need to enter the country.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

So basically if you have no checked bag you are free to enter Germany and dropped your flight to Greece even though Germany does not let Americans in?
In theory yes, but not necessarily in practice as many Schengen member states have reintroduced full passport control to enter their territory because of this. Don’t know for Germany, but if you would make this connection in France you would not be allowed to enter France (until June 9, because Americans will be welcomed in France from June 9).
Old May 30, 2021, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We cleared immigration and customs in Frankfurt. We showed passport, vaccine card, electronic boarding pass to Santorini and return flight to US from Athens. Our border control officer was Greek and wished us a happy holiday. We had hand baggage only, and yes, in theory we could have left the airport. We then cleared security to renter the A gate area.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:45 am
bdb

Currently in Munich Lufthansa lounge. Only has water coffee and pretzels

leaving lax they checked our vax card and the email confirmation we had done the Greek PLF

Went through passport controls to get to the G gates in Munich and they asked for destination and reason for travel and out vaccination or test proof.

very easy. Now off to Athens
Old May 30, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Lufthansa lounge in Frankfort was sad. Bottled water and pretzels by door and you have to go outside the lounge to eat or drink them.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:18 pm
bdb

And made it to Athens. Slightly delayed departure as they needed to confirm everyone had the requisite things for Greece. But overall smooth trip for this American couple. And the Lufthansa crew were delightful.
Comenius likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Quick question for those who have entered recently. We are arrive into ATH next Monday. We were filling out the PLF. My SO filled it out for himself, and added his vaccine information, etc. When he went to add me, it just asked for my name, not vaccination information, etc. Is this correct? He was concerned and asked me to fill out my own PLF, but one of the first things they ask you to do is to affirm that you are only filling out one PLF per household (we are the same household, not legally married). Do you not enter the vaccination information for the additional family members ahead of time?

Also, we read you are supposed to put in the address for every hotel you are going to stay at, but we could only find a way to add info for 2 hotels. Is that correct? We have 3 different hotels over the course of our stay.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We cleared immigration and customs in Frankfurt. We showed passport, vaccine card, electronic boarding pass to Santorini and return flight to US from Athens. Our border control officer was Greek and wished us a happy holiday. We had hand baggage only, and yes, in theory we could have left the airport. We then cleared security to renter the A gate area.
Thanks for pointing out that you also showed return flight info. Timatic mentions this but I missed it as it was under the "Visa" section. I have friends who are airline staff and they sometimes wait to book return flights until after arrival. I will mention this to them.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only one PLF per family. You will show both VAX cards on arrival.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:06 am
bdb

We only added 2 hotels on our PLF form. No issues there

Athens to Crete this morning at checkin just asked for proof of Covid test or vaccination

Athens airport fully open. Lounges. Stores etc etc.

Last edited by bdb; May 31, 2021 at 3:05 am
Old May 31, 2021, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Just booked the Hotel Thireas for the Santorini portion of out stay. Will report back when done

https://hotelthireas.gr/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.