Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:13 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
For travel to the islands you can do your own self test at home and just ‘declare’ the results with their pdf format so really no need to go and pay 20 euros at a testing station either take your own self tests with you or buy a few at a pharmacy.

and I say this again the queue at ATH for testing always looks worse than it is and it moves remarkably quickly, that queue is to register for a test not to wait for one that queue is separate. Each person/group is processed in about 1-2 mins and there are 4 booths there so there would have to be a queue stretching outside the airport for you to wait a long time!
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
New measures announced for Greece today, taking effect July 15. Most notably that indoor restaurants and other indoor places will have the option to self-designate as vaccinated-only or mixed, with fewer restrictions for the former (i.e., no masks). 150 euro incentives for youth up to 25 yo to be vaccinated. Other notable measure is that unvaccinated individuals will have no access to stadiums at all, and vaccinated ones will have to wear masks in stadiums.

Electronic certificates have to be used for verification, but the new system can get complicated in enforcing it.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 360, Bonvoy Plt, Hyatt Globalist
Testing

So no testing at all if you’re vaccinated, right? I'm traveling USA-CDG-ATH.

Originally Posted by Alinsfca
Another data point, flew on June 19.

SFO checked vaccination card and PLF (email confirmation submitted was fine). Full flight.

ATL Air France needs to recheck docs even boarding pass said docs checked! Did not see small sign (had 55 minute transfer) and lined up at elite line! Got pull out during boarding to check docs at counter! Prem Econ was full with one vacant next to me😁 Econ was probably less than 50 pct (many were sleeping across the entire row). Prem Econ on new A350 was great with good recline, much better than the slide forward ones on 777.

CDG no line at border control. Quick scan of covid. No issue at all. Lounge is still capacity control but shower available, and all seats near charging outlets occupied! QR code for PLF just available and printed pdf onto my phone.

CDG/ATH - flight was full! Short line at border control. Just asked to see covid card and PLF (not even scanning of QR code) and let go. Saw a small line (may be 10?) before exit on the left side waiting for covid test.

ATH to Paros on separate ticket. I printed boarding pass online so never showed covid card. Flight was full.

Paros is full of tourists and most restaurants are open. Hotel still has restrictions, no beach towel and spa closed due to covid, was hoping for a massage! Masks were requested but I am not sure if mandatory. Arrived at restaurant last night totally forgotten the mask but was told don’t worry and seated outside (in door still closed that could be the reason).
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by iazflyer
So no testing at all if you’re vaccinated, right? I'm traveling USA-CDG-ATH.
Correct
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by nk15
New measures announced for Greece today, taking effect July 15. Most notably that indoor restaurants and other indoor places will have the option to self-designate as vaccinated-only or mixed, with fewer restrictions for the former (i.e., no masks). 150 euro incentives for youth up to 25 yo to be vaccinated. Other notable measure is that unvaccinated individuals will have no access to stadiums at all, and vaccinated ones will have to wear masks in stadiums.

Electronic certificates have to be used for verification, but the new system can get complicated in enforcing it.
Yeah they are struggling to get as many ppl vaccinated as they want as supply is no longer an issue and they are worried about the autumn so are making many changes. BTW this was Athens last weekend, it was so much fun.

Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:28 am

If you are vaccinated, no test needed to go to Greece, transit in CDG, travel to the islands or between islands.
The only test you need is the Antigen test coming back to the US and you will get the result in 15 minutes. AF do check this test at both Athens and CDG.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Just to clarify, you do NOT need an appointment to get an antigen test at ATH? And that works to come home to the US?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by kac2138
Just to clarify, you do NOT need an appointment to get an antigen test at ATH? And that works to come home to the US?
No just rock up!
Should be fine for the US, I haven't flown to US with it, but here is a copy of it anyway to help you see what the paper says.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
test result.pdf (164.8 KB, 21 views)
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
For travel to the islands you can do your own self test at home and just ‘declare’ the results with their pdf format so really no need to go and pay 20 euros at a testing station either take your own self tests with you or buy a few at a pharmacy.
Starting Monday July 5, self-tests are no longer accepted for unvaccinated adults for travel to the islands, but are still accepted for 12-18 year olds. Unvaccinated adults would need a rapid or a PCR test within the last 48 and 72 hours, respectively.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Starting Monday July 5, self-tests are no longer accepted for unvaccinated adults for travel to the islands, but are still accepted for 12-18 year olds. Unvaccinated adults would need a rapid or a PCR test within the last 48 and 72 hours, respectively.
so just to be clear ( we fly ATH to Santorin on the 6th ) ...

vaccine card gets it done, right

(sorry everyone for the perseveration ... first flight in15 months and i'm convinced some stupid error on my part is going to screw my plans)
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
so just to be clear ( we fly ATH to Santorin on the 6th ) ...

vaccine card gets it done, right

(sorry everyone for the perseveration ... first flight in15 months and i'm convinced some stupid error on my part is going to screw my plans)
yes vaccine card is fine!
no worries I completely get it, I just find it annoying that you have to do all these preparations for no one to even bother checking when you board!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:34 pm

the medical centres must be happy for the extra $$$! Joking aside Greece is really trying hard to vaccinate as many ppl as possible before the autumn
LETTERBOY and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Just arrived ATH. On the Greek entry side it was super easy. Just before customs a person did a *very* cursory check of the QR code on the PLF and vaccines and boom ….. added no more than 1-2 minutes of extra time.

perhaps United specific but …. I can’t say the same about pre-boarding at EWR.

agents decided to do a two-step procedure where every passenger would have their vaccines and plf checked and then get in to the boarding lines and have passport checked as per usual at boarding.

but they didn’t really announce that, so there was absolute chaos with multiple lines intersecting and no one organizing it.

Just by my dumb luck, the agent at the United Club pre-checked our vax records and plf as we enetered the lounge…. So that allowed us to skip one line.

if flying UA I would try to get this done at the club rather than at the gate.

————

it’s a gorgeous sunny day here. We walked 100 ft across the road to the ATH Sofitel which is really nice and convenient. 18 hour layover until Santorini flight.

heading out to be an Athens tourist now

———

edit: ATH to Santorini this am. Cursory look at vaccine cards at check-in. No muss no fuss.

[img]
[/img]
aau and nk15 like this.

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; Jul 6, 2021 at 1:10 am
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:29 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Does anyone now if ferries to/from Turkey are running this summer? I can't find any schedules online. Specifically looking for Bodrum from Kos or Rhodes.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by aau
Does anyone now if ferries to/from Turkey are running this summer? I can't find any schedules online. Specifically looking for Bodrum from Kos or Rhodes.
Not at the moment as Greece is still closed for Turkish citizens/residents. Probably, the operating costs doesn't justify operating these ferries for Greek citizens and other foreigners that could enter Greece.

A month ago, a protocol was signed by both Greek and Turkish citizens to facilitate vaccinated Turkish citizens to enter Greece but there is no further information whether this would take place.
At the moment all Turkish citizens over 18 are eligible to take the vaccine so that might be soon indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.