Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: Skywards, PIAAwards Plus Diamond, HHonours, SPG, IHG
Involuntary downgrade DXB-KHI

Ok I have a scenario here as well

Flying from DXB-KHI today, when my father checked in at DXB, they informed him that he will have to be downgraded from Biz to Eco because the flight is oversold! He protested but his options were limited as he had to get back tonight.

Now as compensation, they offered him
1. AED 200-300 worth of vouchers for spending at the airport after checking in
2. A free flight coupon for DXB-KHI in Biz.

He asked the agent at the counter if the coupon was for a return flight rather than OW and he was told , Yes. Then she looked puzzled and went to ask her boss who also confirmed it was for a return flight. Now going through the fine print he feels he'll only get a OW free flight but he's not sure, the rules aren't clear on the coupon he's been given.

He sort of feels cheated as he feels lied to but is unsure what he will get

Any body had any experiences ex-DXB of being downgraded due to an oversold flight ?

Cheers
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Zol
I don't see why they would book you on an alternative airline if they can deliver you to your destination just in a different class of travel.

The re-routing option is dependent on how much you push and if they cave. I had explored an MUC re-route to the 388 but again found it too much of a hassle to be honest. Not sure why you want to travel from PRG to ZRH/FRA,. If you are inflexible to switch to a day prior or after, how can you be so flexible as to switch countries especially ZRH being quite a trek.
I purchased a FIRST class ticket, nothing FC about EK's responses to date
FRA & ZRH are not far from PRG, & i'm a frequent flyer i can spare a couple of hours from my schedule to travel in the class i paid EK for, but not 24 hrs.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Well.. time to go to moneyclaim.gov.uk I suggest; it is pretty painless

What matters is how the judge interprets it with part of a one way being downgraded; the legislation isn't that wonderful in clear explicit descriptions
Many thanks ^
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chris63
Many thanks ^
I suspect that when EK gets the notice of the claim, they will cough up based on legislation and that you won't actually have to go to court unless there is a big disagreement in interpretation between you and EK over what the 75% is of ( full ticket cost, the one way cost, the partial one way cost )
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Zol
No that is fair enough. My point was why would they pay another airline rather than just book him on an alternative date or do a partial refund unless it is possibly a cheaper option for EK. I am also not aware of any other direct flight to DXB of equivalent standard.
Quite reasonably because Emirates is no longer able to provide that which the customer paid for ; at a minimum they should have been offering the legislated amount since it is an ex-EU journey. Of course, if there is no other 1st class option out of PRG then that option is limited
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:42 pm

I purchased a FIRST class ticket, nothing FC about EK's responses to date
FRA & ZRH are not far from PRG, & i'm a frequent flyer i can spare a couple of hours from my schedule to travel in the class i paid EK for, but not 24 hrs.
TO be fair, if it involves sending you business class in the wrong direction in order to get a 1st class flight back again, it wouldn't seem to make sense to offer that anyway; if there are 1st options out of PRG, then seems poor
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I suspect that when EK gets the notice of the claim, they will cough up based on legislation and that you won't actually have to go to court unless there is a big disagreement in interpretation between you and EK over what the 75% is of ( full ticket cost, the one way cost, the partial one way cost )
Would a UK court be interested in an ex-PRG flight? Wouldn't you have to sue EK in the Czech Republic?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Would a UK court be interested in an ex-PRG flight? Wouldn't you have to sue EK in the Czech Republic?
Im pretty sure that it can be initiated there especially since the passenger lives in the UK ( according to their FT details shown ) and even though it may have been purchased starting from PRG, doesn't mean that it was sold in Prague
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:45 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Im pretty sure that it can be initiated there especially since the passenger lives in the UK ( according to their FT details shown ) and even though it may have been purchased starting from PRG, doesn't mean that it was sold in Prague
Well if he ticketed online, it is considered a Prague sale. Only offline sales are credited to the selling office. It would be interesting though to see how this would pan out from a UK legislative perspective.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Zol
Well if he ticketed online, it is considered a Prague sale. Only offline sales are credited to the selling office. It would be interesting though to see how this would pan out from a UK legislative perspective.
I wouldn't stake someone's, who I like, life on it but my recollection is that it would be actionable in the UK
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't stake someone's, who I like, life on it but my recollection is that it would be actionable in the UK
Ticket was purchased while logged into EK UK website & paid for with UK CC, i will take action in UK.

PRG-ZRH is just a one hour hop, to connect with an F flight which is +6 made sence for me

It is necessary to demonstrate that prior to taking action i sought a way out of the problem & i did, EK were not interested
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:56 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Ticket was purchased while logged into EK UK website & paid for with UK CC, i will take action in UK.
I'm not sure there is a UK website. There is a UK section of the main Emirates site, but nothing specific for the UK. I'm not trying to put you off, just make sure you don't fall at the first hurdle
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:39 pm

It is necessary to demonstrate that prior to taking action i sought a way out of the problem & i did, EK were not interested
I think the way you're supposed to approach it if you're brushed off by the airline, is to initially got to the authorities in the jurisdiction where the incident happened. ie the Czech Republic equivalent of the CAA in the UK.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
I think the way you're supposed to approach it if you're brushed off by the airline, is to initially got to the authorities in the jurisdiction where the incident happened. ie the Czech Republic equivalent of the CAA in the UK.
My claim is in the UK where i purchased the ticket, CAA had no problem with this & after the flight they will deal with this too, i followed their advice & UK legal protocol.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:09 am

My claim is in the UK where i purchased the ticket, CAA had no problem with this & after the flight they will deal with this too, i followed their advice & UK legal protocol.
I would recommend sending a letter detailing how much you want and when you want it by and why you are due it by special delivery. keep a copy and a copy of proof of postage/delivery so that you have an artefact to show that you have attempted to address it with the company

Much better than only being able to say that you phoned them or having sent a letter which they can claim not to have received

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.