Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
One an F ticket lhr-dxb-bom rtn I was down graded to J on the dxb-bom sector. I was offered a voucher for a free F class Dxb-bom but stated it was pretty useless when I lived in the UK. I was given a free return lhr-bom in F. On the spot, had to use it 12 months after my initia ticket had finished.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Down_the_back
One an F ticket lhr-dxb-bom rtn I was down graded to J on the dxb-bom sector. I was offered a voucher for a free F class Dxb-bom but stated it was pretty useless when I lived in the UK. I was given a free return lhr-bom in F. On the spot, had to use it 12 months after my initia ticket had finished.
I just got notified that my CMB-DXB flight in a few days in F was downgraded to J.

When these vouchers are given out, is it at the airport check-in desk or are you dealing with EK corporate at this point?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
I just got notified that my CMB-DXB flight in a few days in F was downgraded to J.

When these vouchers are given out, is it at the airport check-in desk or are you dealing with EK corporate at this point?
I m going to cmb soon j out and f back.. The 651 back often has no f or sky cruisers and I paid for f as it was advertised as suites...

It will be Massively annoying if its not suites
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Same to DEL as well. Its mostly sky cruisers.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:07 am

Regarding downgrades: In my experience, EK differentiates between "class of service suddenly not offered anymore on plane" (e.g. change from 3-class to 2-class metal) and "overbooking". Expect the fare difference (i.e. peanuts) in the former case and a hefty involuntary downgrade compensation (e.g. free ticket) in the latter.

Of course, this only relates to what EK will offer you voluntarily. There may be better legal options in the former case.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Regarding downgrades: In my experience, EK differentiates between "class of service suddenly not offered anymore on plane" (e.g. change from 3-class to 2-class metal) and "overbooking". Expect the fare difference (i.e. peanuts) in the former case and a hefty involuntary downgrade compensation (e.g. free ticket) in the latter.

Of course, this only relates to what EK will offer you voluntarily. There may be better legal options in the former case.
EK never purposefully overbooks F. A lot of the time it is aircraft substitutions made with 2 class aircraft that obviously don't have an F cabin. Other times it is getting F passengers who missed their previous flight onto the airplane.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Other times it is getting F passengers who missed their previous flight onto the airplane.
Which I see as a form of last minute "overbooking". But it is good to know that EK does not intentionally oversell F seats (most reputable airlines don't, from what I heard).
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:57 am

What is the difference between these two? In both cases I am being involuntarily downgraded from a paid F ticket. There is no difference on my side of the fence.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:15 am

What is the difference between these two? In both cases I am being involuntarily downgraded from a paid F ticket. There is no difference on my side of the fence.
I agree.

If I get cruisers I ll be annoyed.

Suites i will be very happy.

Downgrade and the price difference is not enough.

A one sector upgrade would be for my next trip.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:11 am

whimike and m3red, that is why I said that your legal rights (which might be the same in both cases) may be different from what EK will voluntarily offer.

I kind of understand why EK would make a difference between both cases, since it is much worse for an F-passenger if he is the only one downgraded (hearing the corks pop from the other F-passengers in first class) than if all F-passengers need to sit in J.

Last edited by CalFlyer; Mar 16, 2013 at 8:22 am
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:44 am

whimike and m3red, that is why I said that your legal rights (which might be the same in both cases) may be different from what EK will voluntarily offer.

I kind of understand why EK would make a difference between both cases, since it is much worse for an F-passenger if he is the only one downgraded (hearing the corks pop from the other F-passengers in first class) than if all F-passengers need to sit in J.
That won't happen if they don't oversell f. J to y. Maybe but then the compensation won't be as much.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:10 am

So any update?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by m3red
So any update?
I got an email from EK saying they are looking into it and will get back to me within 30 days.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:42 pm

I got an email from EK saying they are looking into it and will get back to me within 30 days.
Let us know!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I just got a notice for a flight in June that I am downgraded from F to J. It appears the change is from a 3-class 332 to a two-class. Whimike, what happened re: your downgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.