Emirates Business Class In Decline

Old Aug 7, 19, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Emirates Business Class In Decline

The problem is not the restrictions on the extras. It is on a deplorable decline in busibess class service on the aircraft, fir Everyone in the cabin! On a recent flight the nebula comprised one course field "dinner" only, with a dessert, no starter and no cheese. No pre-dinner drink. It all came on one tray (food and drink).
I reckon those flying in the Econ cabin for more! And I wonder I'd Emirates decides to bring down their business class service on the assumption that most passengers would choose their 'Special' fare?
it is Apallibg, and they will Lose customers to other airlines, including me.
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: Skywards
Were you on a short haul flight?

I just flew Dubai to Johannesburg and didn't notice any decline in business class standards.

I did notice some cost cutting in the lounge. Voss water is no longer offerdd. The still mineral water is Evian in small plastic bottles and the sparkling water is Perrier in cans.
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Longton View Post

I just flew Dubai to Johannesburg and didn't notice any decline in business class standards.

I did notice some cost cutting in the lounge. Voss water is no longer offerdd. The still mineral water is Evian in small plastic bottles and the sparkling water is Perrier in cans.
This happened several months ago, F lounge still has Voss. Annoying about the sparkling because I much preferred the Voss in bottles, but for the still the plastic bottles from Evian are pretty much the same and in fact easier to carry with onboard.
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Emirates business class in decline

There are very few short haul flights in the EK network. This was a 3 hour flight, but it's no excuse for shoddy service. The 'dinner' service was over, with more than 90 minutes left for the flight! The crew couldn't wait to get it over and done with and were dumping unused drinks into the toilet sink and who knows what else!
Notwithstanding this, the service is a Noticable decline and the main point is that I'm certain Econ passengers had a more substantial meal than we in business class. So not at all worth the 3 times cost!!
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Safifi View Post
There are very few short haul flights in the EK network. This was a 3 hour flight, but it's no excuse for shoddy service. The 'dinner' service was over, with more than 90 minutes left for the flight! The crew couldn't wait to get it over and done with and were dumping unused drinks into the toilet sink and who knows what else!
Notwithstanding this, the service is a Noticable decline and the main point is that I'm certain Econ passengers had a more substantial meal than we in business class. So not at all worth the 3 times cost!!
Were you expecting 3x the quantity? Did the menu advertise starters? Did you query any of this with the crew or the cabin supervisor? Have you observed this on other flights or just the one?
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

You sound like you're a paid advocate for Emirates masquerading as other. That's fine with me as I am keen my complaint reaches the company's seniors.
so in response se to your silly points:
1. Its not a question of what was on the menu or the duration of the flight. So that Is what I was Expecting! Quite reasonable too.
2. The fact is that for the same flight flown just a few weeks before, the service was Markedly different, so Emirates has cynically reduced their service while increasing their prices. That's not acceptable.
3. You have purposely avoided commenting on the unseemly speed the crew were disposing of unused drinks, which I had not seen any crew of other airlines do. Are there no sinks in the food/beverage service area?
4. Lastly and most importantly, other airlines have not curtailed whatever service they were offering on similar flights. So the business will go to Them rather than pay a substantial Prsmoum to fly Emirates!
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Safifi View Post
You sound like you're a paid advocate for Emirates masquerading as other. That's fine with me as I am keen my complaint reaches the company's seniors.
so in response se to your silly points:
1. Its not a question of what was on the menu or the duration of the flight. So that Is what I was Expecting! Quite reasonable too.
2. The fact is that for the same flight flown just a few weeks before, the service was Markedly different, so Emirates has cynically reduced their service while increasing their prices. That's not acceptable.
3. You have purposely avoided commenting on the unseemly speed the crew were disposing of unused drinks, which I had not seen any crew of other airlines do. Are there no sinks in the food/beverage service area?
4. Lastly and most importantly, other airlines have not curtailed whatever service they were offering on similar flights. So the business will go to Them rather than pay a substantial Prsmoum to fly Emirates!
I'm sorry you feel that way, I just asked some relevant questions to get a more complete picture of your complaint, that you feel insecure about the validity of your complaint and thus attacked by my questions speaks for itself.

To your points:

1. Menus on EK in J Generally state a clear appetizer. I asked the question to understand if this was an actual intentional change by the airline or a sloppy crew skipping a course. Most might think it reasonable that expectations should align to the menu, i.e. if the menu doesn't advertise an appetizer then the service likely wouldn't include one. Whether this is acceptable or not is an entirely separate point (and I'd be disappointed if EK removes appetizers on short flights entirely).

2. This is valuable information that helps your cause and would have been useful to know from the outset, i.e. that you have a direct first-hand and recent comparison on the same route (and presumably same flight and times as this also affects service offering, in case you weren't aware)

3. I didn't comment on anything, actually. But it generally isn't desirable for pax to feel rushed or notice the crew in their galley duties. The galleys don't have sinks, by the way. Some (not all) of the lavatories are often used for storage during descent, usually for plastic bags full of used bedding, but perhaps in this case also for used glassware (not acceptable if the case and probably a junior FA with insufficient experience or training)

4. That's the right conclusion for you based on your experience and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy the grass on the other side.
narvik and Paolo1972 like this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Well you appeared to be ready to offer excuses for the substandard service in my flight, so I had assumed it was fir a rebuttal purpose orchestrated by the company. Perhaps I was mistaken.
Indeed the menu didn't mention an appetizer, only one course and a dessert. That is what was served, and all on one tray together with the drink which I had expected before the tray. It was all cleared fast and in fact my drink was removed despite nit being finished with. why the hurry, when the flight had nearly 109 minutes to run!
I had flown exactly the same sector and time before, frequently. So undoubtedly there was an intentional reduction in service enacted if late. If such cost-cutting was commensurate with a reduction or levelling off of prices, or might be acceptable. But on the contrary the prices (already higher than other aurlibes) went up considerably!
I had been a loyal customer of Emirates for over 10 years, so it is sad that one recent experience will undoubtedly induce me to go elsewhere. Furthermore I reckon others will follow suit.
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that is an approach to cost cutting, seems a reasonable way to do so - perrier in cans vs bottles seems pretty irrelevant to me - it is just water and tastes the same either way - and a lighter container
moondog, daisymay2 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If that is an approach to cost cutting, seems a reasonable way to do so - perrier in cans vs bottles seems pretty irrelevant to me - it is just water and tastes the same either way - and a lighter container
The water.. both still and sparkling before was in larger containers.. thus more convenient for those of us who drink lots of water on site .
Old Aug 8, 19, 2:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
The water.. both still and sparkling before was in larger containers.. thus more convenient for those of us who drink lots of water on site .
The VOSS bottles aren't that large. Around 500ml max.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:13 am

I wouldn't be surprised if this goes as well, isn't there a drive in DXB to reduce single use plastic. Also, as part of reducing carbon footprint, I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch Voss, Evian completely and opt for Masafi or other local brands.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
Not sure how it is more conveniant. A 330ml perrier bottle vs a 330ml can doesn't make a lot of difference

Even if the airline is using the 250ml cans, it isn't that hard to ask for another. I can't see that there is any benefit to a bottle vs a can, but can see drawbacks
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Not sure how it is more conveniant. A 330ml perrier bottle vs a 330ml can doesn't make a lot of difference

Even if the airline is using the 250ml cans, it isn't that hard to ask for another. I can't see that there is any benefit to a bottle vs a can, but can see drawbacks
You missed the context. Previously it was 500ml Voss glass bottles. Now 250ml or 330ml cans/plastic bottles
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Ant chance of getting back on-topic?
Guess this change of water is only for the el-cheapo passengers flying in H bucket, which this thread is about.

Search this Thread