Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Looking back, it seems EK had a 25% bonus offer in July 2018, November 2018, February 2019 and March 2019.

So, I'd guess that there will be another one before August.
Thanks I’ll keep a look out in July. I was worried they wouldn’t have another sale before August since we’re heading into peak season but hopefully that’s not the case.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sleepy_jean
Hi all, I’m looking to transfer points to my partner to upgrade some flights this year - 33k points from myself and 33k points from my son. However the Emirates site says that there’s a 50k annual limit on transferring points. Does anyone know if this limit applies to the account doing the transferring (in which case neither my son or I will exceed the limit), or to the account receiving the points? Thanks in advance!
Just transfer your son's miles to yourself then upgrade whoever you want to upgrade online by logging into your account then opening their flight from the PNR and Last name. Else add.yourself as their travel coordinator in their skywards profile and call. The miles don't have to be in the account of the person flying as far as I am aware. Also consider enabling family pooling in future.

The above will save you half the cost of you really want to pay to transfer.
​​​​​​
Old May 4, 2019, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Just transfer your son's miles to yourself then upgrade whoever you want to upgrade online by logging into your account then opening their flight from the PNR and Last name. Else add.yourself as their travel coordinator in their skywards profile and call. The miles don't have to be in the account of the person flying as far as I am aware. Also consider enabling family pooling in future.

The above will save you half the cost of you really want to pay to transfer.
​​​​​​
Thanks I didn’t realise I could upgrade my own ticket! I thought only partner could do it as he booked the flights but just had a look at my own account and it does indeed give me the option to upgrade. Will transfer my son’s points to myself which should save us a bit. Thanks again.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: EK Silver, BA Blue, MH Blue
Not a question, but received an email from EK that it has launched a new Mastercard credit card in Malaysia with Hong Leong Bank.

Full details are here, but the two cards at higher income thresholds (RM90,000 and 200,000) include Silver status for a year, passes to the KLIA EK lounge, and sign-up bonuses (2500-10,000 Skywards Miles).

EK otherwise has small offers with other Malaysian banks (5-10% off fare components with a Maybank card) so will be interesting to see if these change/go.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I don't think that's what's being asked here.

Emirates allows you to buy 50k miles per year. The sometimes have a bonus where you get an extra 25% for the same price.
Yeah but who would buy Emirates points? To buy or extend expiring points has to be the biggest waste of $$ there is.. The upcharge is ridiculous..... like some of the worst use of $ with airlines that there is... My buddy just went thru this trying to extend his 100K points and he realized it made more sense just to book a trip.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Yeah but who would buy Emirates points? To buy or extend expiring points has to be the biggest waste of $$ there is.. The upcharge is ridiculous..... like some of the worst use of $ with airlines that there is... My buddy just went thru this trying to extend his 100K points and he realized it made more sense just to book a trip.
i recently bought 2k miles in order to get enough to lock in an upgrade. For small quantities needed instantly it can make sense.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Yeah but who would buy Emirates points?
The person who was asking the question...
Old May 5, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Talking

Originally Posted by redeternet7

are you aware it costs approx 30 USD to transfer 1000 skyward points. So to transfer 33k points is going to cost over 1k. You are better off getting amex platinum to make up for the additional points
Yes, I've been able to transfer several times the points from my AMEX platinum (and always receive 5X points when purchasing flights directly from the Emirates web site) for those nice upgrades!
Old May 9, 2019, 11:12 pm

Hi can someone please confirm that the number of miles needed to upgrade a child (4 year old) is the same as the full amount needed to upgrade an adult, even though child fares are 75% of the adult fare? This is what I was told over the phone but I could’ve sworn that last time we flew Emirates we only needed 75% of the adult miles to upgrade our child. Thanks in advance.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:16 pm

I know I may be opening myself to a few "don't be that guy" responses...but thought I'd ask.....

Our DXB to MLE leg just got upgraded to the new first class suites. Before the equipment change that route had 1 seat open to points upgrade in first class for almost all flights operating that route. I upgraded my wife's ticket at booking. Using EF searches it seemed "likely" another seat would open up before take-off. With the 777 change ALL points options have been removed for EVERY flight. So I am assuming the likelihood of a second seat opening up is slim.

So here comes the question....

If another seat does not open up can my wife and I both use the seat? Her for 1/2 the flight and me the other? We don't care who gets what meals and snacks. Just want an opportunity to live like the 2% for just a little bit. But was not sure if there are any Emirates/FAA regulations against doing that?

Thanks
TD
Old May 10, 2019, 6:00 pm

I think you already know the answer. Remember though that all Skywards Members can request instant miles upgrades at the airport, which I think may only need space available.
Traveler Dave likes this.

Last edited by ft101; May 10, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 12:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ft101
I think you already know the answer. Remember though that all Skywards Members can request instant miles upgrades at the airport, which I think may only need space available.
And in addition, Silver and above members can request a miles upgrade from the purser on board, in which case it is certainly ‘space available ‘.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:24 am

I think by travelling in J you're already experiencing how the 2% travel but I'd also be keen to experience how the 0.02% travel. As above, keep trying
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by ft101
space available everywhere except Dxb where they make you wait until the gate.

at Least your wife can guest you into the lounge
thijsseh and Traveler Dave like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by m3red

space available everywhere except Dxb where they make you wait until the gate.

at Least your wife can guest you into the lounge
if space available from LHR, in your experience will they definitely grant the upgrade at check in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.