Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: skywards
Sorry if this has already been covered. Just looking for advice really on how to use our emirates points

We have done the reward allowance on amex and my partner currently has 34000 sat on his account.

We are going to no do another amex in my name hopefully to get the next reward bonus again. So possibly another 25000.

Would it be best to add them to his account or top up my skywards account (which only currently has 1800 miles)

The reason I was thinking putting them all on his account as we cant use both our cash plus miles pooled together when we book together and I would be worried if we booked separate we might not get sat together

Which brings me onto the next option. Would it be best to not use cash plus miles and look at using them against an upgrade?

Or any other suggestions on how’s best to use them welcome.

I don’t think we plan on using emirates much more after this flight so really want to get the max out of these ones. We tried to do a family account but it messed up and half the points went into the family account and the other half on my partners individual account and after speaking to emirates seemed a lot of red tape around how you can pool the allowance together
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: EK Silver, BA Blue, MH Blue
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
FYI, I had miles expiring in Dec 2020 that were extended to March and then the end of June. I contacted EK to ask whether they would be extended again as obviously can't use on EK as a UK person. EK told me that they would be extended to Dec 2021 and my account would be updated after June. I've not had any official email about this but then again I didn't get notified on the other extensions either.
Thanks for sharing the response from EK. The current date for miles expiry still appears as end of June on the 'My Account' page, but when you click through to the 'Retain Skywards Status' page it also includes the bit below. But yes, no email notification about this (unlike an email notification for status extension)

"We’ve extended the validity of any Skywards Miles due to expire on or after April 2020 until 31 December 2021."
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:38 am

Emirates Upgrade Priority

What is the latest policy on Emirates for operational upgrades due to overbooking. Is it by Fare Class or Tier Status or a combination of the two?
If this can be found somewhere else in the forum, please guide me there.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by sant2585
Thanks for sharing the response from EK. The current date for miles expiry still appears as end of June on the 'My Account' page, but when you click through to the 'Retain Skywards Status' page it also includes the bit below. But yes, no email notification about this (unlike an email notification for status extension)

"We’ve extended the validity of any Skywards Miles due to expire on or after April 2020 until 31 December 2021."
Just got an email saying my Business Rewards miles are expiring on August 31.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Mayank Arora
What is the latest policy on Emirates for operational upgrades due to overbooking. Is it by Fare Class or Tier Status or a combination of the two?
If this can be found somewhere else in the forum, please guide me there.
Platinum -> Flex Plus -> Flex -> Saver

So, Platinum trumps Fare Class.

*unless things have changed in the last year or so.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:59 pm

Thanks! I made Plat pre COVID and am booked on a overbooked flight departing in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Platinum -> Flex Plus -> Flex -> Saver

So, Platinum trumps Fare Class.

*unless things have changed in the last year or so.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by xobile
Just got an email saying my Business Rewards miles are expiring on August 31.
Yeah, most of mine expired yesterday
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:33 pm

Rookie here

What is the best way to achieve a Skyward Platinum status if I have an (1) Amex Platinum (2) Chase Saphire Prefered (3) Chase Saphire Reserve and (4) Marriott Gold Elite. I know that I can combine MGE with Skywards under the world rewards program, but I am at a loss about which card I should use to go about booking an Emirate flight. Also, what method should I use to upgrade to a business class. I have Ultimate rewards that convert 1:1 and I have Amex Plat rewards that have the same 1:1 conversion. My family has moved to a new city served by Emirates and I plan on using the JFK - XXX route multiple times a year therefore I want to get to a skyward platinum quickly to be able to upgrade to business. Also, any advantages if I apply for the Emirates Mastercard? I know I get the 60K miles but at this point I am already paying over $1.5K between Chase and Amex!

Thanks in advance experts!
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:01 pm

First time trying to book award using EK here.
I am looking to book a B6 mint for 52k miles which I transferred from Citi. The transfer was instant as I can see my EK account has 52 k miles now. However, when I click the flight I would like to book, the website is showing insufficient miles. Does anyone have any insights on why is that? Shall I call EK to book this award?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:58 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by wanymayold
First time trying to book award using EK here.
I am looking to book a B6 mint for 52k miles which I transferred from Citi. The transfer was instant as I can see my EK account has 52 k miles now. However, when I click the flight I would like to book, the website is showing insufficient miles. Does anyone have any insights on why is that? Shall I call EK to book this award?
To respond to this old post-- I had the same issue today after transferring miles from Amex. It seemed like the issue may be that I had exactly the same number of miles in my account-- if I tried to book a flight that required fewer miles, there was no issue, but for a flight that used 100% of my miles, I would get the insufficient miles message.

Calling in, they were able to make the booking over the phone.
icec likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:06 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Sorry to go over something that may be here already - I have a stash of Amex and Alaska points to book on Emirates. AS is no longer useful.
Is it better to use Amex by transferring to Emirates and book or should I use the transfer to other partners
I looked at Jetblue - no idea how to use points for Emirates
What about JAL? is it better to use JAL for Emirates or stick with simplicity and skywards for awards?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ffI
Sorry to go over something that may be here already - I have a stash of Amex and Alaska points to book on Emirates. AS is no longer useful.
Is it better to use Amex by transferring to Emirates and book or should I use the transfer to other partners
I looked at Jetblue - no idea how to use points for Emirates
What about JAL? is it better to use JAL for Emirates or stick with simplicity and skywards for awards?
Qantas is a viable option to book Emirates too. How would you transfer amex or AS to JAL?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hmmm... how is this thread still open?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:46 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Only at the courtesy of the mods .... Your Highness.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Hmmm... how is this thread still open?
Gives meaning to the saying "better late than never".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.