FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1948617-your-emirates-skywards-questions-answered-2019-2020-a.html)

Saltire74 Jan 1, 2019 10:19 pm

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Welcome to the 2019/2020 edition of Your Emirates Skywards Questions answered.

Our members are here to help answer any Skywards related questions and hopefully help you make the most out of your Skywards membership.

Here is is the link to our 2027/2018 thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe and Happy Travels

Saltire74

stargold Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm

I'll start things off -

Probably an obvious answer for many, but for a Y-J upgrade, do I need to pay any additional surcharge associated with a J ticket, or is miles the only required payment?

I have a rather extreme situation where the YQ in J for the one-way ticket that I need to fly is literally the same cost as a Flex ticket in Y, so if there is no further cash payable, it makes more sense to do the latter for a lower number of miles.

ft101 Jan 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 30664926)
Probably an obvious answer for many, but for a Y-J upgrade, do I need to pay any additional surcharge associated with a J ticket, or is miles the only required payment?

It depends on the route. In most cases the answer is no, it's miles only. However, UK departures have to pay an extra £78 GBP (increasing to £84 in April) in Air Passenger Duty and I believe there are another one or two countries where some sort of charge is also applied.

stargold Jan 17, 2019 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 30664972)
It depends on the route. In most cases the answer is no, it's miles only. However, UK departures have to pay an extra £78 GBP (increasing to £84 in April) in Air Passenger Duty and I believe there are another one or two countries where some sort of charge is also applied.

Perfect - thanks. This is ex-DXB so I think my plan will work just fine.

wjbesh Jan 18, 2019 1:35 pm

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything exactly on this (but if there's a thread I should go look at, please let me know!) - I was looking at an award flight from JFK-MXP on Aug 23 yesterday and availability was pretty open on the 23rd and a few days before and after for around 103k miles and $600 (I was toying with leaving on the 22nd or 24th, believe those days also had availability F). After putting together some other parts of my trip, I went back to book that flight today and not only is there no longer any F award availability on the 23rd, but the whole week before and week after, now only business is available in that entire window. While possible, it seems unlikely to me that all the JFK-MXP F award seats spread across that 1 week period were booked over the last 24 hours, so I guess my question is...is this something that happens often with Skywards? I'm not too familiar with the program, but does F availability get released and then rescinded? And if so does it get released again? Or am I just SOL on this one... Thanks for the help!

Metanoia Jan 18, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by wjbesh (Post 30672057)
I searched the forum but couldn't find anything exactly on this (but if there's a thread I should go look at, please let me know!) - I was looking at an award flight from JFK-MXP on Aug 23 yesterday and availability was pretty open on the 23rd and a few days before and after for around 103k miles and $600 (I was toying with leaving on the 22nd or 24th, believe those days also had availability F). After putting together some other parts of my trip, I went back to book that flight today and not only is there no longer any F award availability on the 23rd, but the whole week before and week after, now only business is available in that entire window. While possible, it seems unlikely to me that all the JFK-MXP F award seats spread across that 1 week period were booked over the last 24 hours, so I guess my question is...is this something that happens often with Skywards? I'm not too familiar with the program, but does F availability get released and then rescinded? And if so does it get released again? Or am I just SOL on this one... Thanks for the help!

EK changes availability all the time - but just a couple data points: from what I've observed on a given day's flight, if F availability changes, such as even one revenue seat is sold, the award availability can be removed as well. Also, I do know that during August EK does tend to black out awards for entire weeks for European destinations. I'd just keep at it and see if it re-opens.

Or fly AA :)

wjbesh Jan 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 30672208)
EK changes availability all the time - but just a couple data points: from what I've observed on a given day's flight, if F availability changes, such as even one revenue seat is sold, the award availability can be removed as well. Also, I do know that during August EK does tend to black out awards for entire weeks for European destinations. I'd just keep at it and see if it re-opens.

Or fly AA :)

Thanks, I'll keep at it and see if it opens up again. In the meantime, I did go ahead and book the AA direct as backup!

NDana Feb 18, 2019 8:16 am

Skywards miles

How do I claim back my Emirates miles which are not credited to my skywards account since June 2018

DYKWIA Feb 18, 2019 8:37 am

Originally Posted by NDana (Post 30792539)
How do I claim back my Emirates miles which are not credited to my skywards account since June 2018

You can't unfortunately, you only get 6 months to retro-claim :-

"Just log in to your Emirates Skywards account and fill in the details of your flight or stay. You can claim Miles up to six months after your flight or stay; as long as you were eligible to earn Miles and Starpoints at the time of the Eligible Flight."

Khush Feb 19, 2019 5:40 am

Skywards mile

I'm flying with Oman air from Manchester to Islamabad, I was wondering if I can earn Emirates Skywards miles with my ticket with Oman air?

skywardhunter Feb 19, 2019 5:42 am

No, you cannot. Have you had a look at the Emirates website?

https://www.emirates.com/english/sky...-partners.aspx

Khush Feb 19, 2019 5:45 am

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I had a look but Oman air says that Emirates is their partner so I was confused. anyway appreciate your reply. cheers

DYKWIA Feb 19, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Khush (Post 30796256)
Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I had a look but Oman air says that Emirates is their partner so I was confused. anyway appreciate your reply. cheers

That may mean they are baggage interlining partners. I'm quite interested in trying Oman from MAN. The only issue is that it's on overnight flight one way - where I can choose daytime flights with EK / QR.

Zol Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm

I think they used to be on the DXB - MCT route but with the alignment with FZ, I think that has been abolished now.

UAEBANDIT Mar 7, 2019 10:13 pm

saver upgrades

I'm gold, on a saver J ticket. Can I get a 1st upgrade before I get to the airport or is this only allowed at check in? (I have the miles). I've auto enabled but never get any joy with that.