Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:34 am

trying to book mxp -nyc with a stopover in dxb in f. I found availability on both flight but when I use the multi city option it says no availability in f only in j and economy any reason for this? I called ek and they saw availability but only for one of the flights to dxb and they saw from dxb not sure why I cant see anything online
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Is anyone else having a hard time finding Emirates upgrade availability on Expert Flyer?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:35 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by atlocal
Is anyone else having a hard time finding Emirates upgrade availability on Expert Flyer?
No, works fine for me. Not a lot of availability, but that’s not unusual for the routes I usually look at.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by atlocal
I'd start learning the patterns for flights on the same day of the week for the next 4-6 weeks out. For example, if you're flying Saturday, November 2nd, start looking at how awards open (or not) for this coming Saturday and the next 6 Saturdays. Repeat every day.

Of course, consider it relative to actual availability. If you're looking for a Business Saver award then if it's J2 I2 O0 H0 for a given date, a Saver (D) seat is very unlikely to open up. If you see 3 weeks out from today's date that there's an award seat available, then check to see again next week if 3 weeks out, and so on.

Sometimes there will be a discernable pattern. Sometimes not.
BadoRas likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:59 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Metanoia
I'd start learning the patterns for flights on the same day of the week for the next 4-6 weeks out. For example, if you're flying Saturday, November 2nd, start looking at how awards open (or not) for this coming Saturday and the next 6 Saturdays. Repeat every day.

Of course, consider it relative to actual availability. If you're looking for a Business Saver award then if it's J2 I2 O0 H0 for a given date, a Saver (D) seat is very unlikely to open up. If you see 3 weeks out from today's date that there's an award seat available, then check to see again next week if 3 weeks out, and so on.

Sometimes there will be a discernable pattern. Sometimes not.
Excellent advice! That's what I do too.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Excellent advice! That's what I do too.
Me too. Always seek out repeating patterns and choose flights accordingly.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:28 am

Surcharges and fees refund on award cancellation

Hey guys, need some advice.
I have Bom - Dxb - Iad booked on oct 1 in first flex plus.

I cannot make that date so tried to change, the website asked to pay an additional $180~ in taxes. The taxes and fees on my original booking is same as on the new date.

So 3 questions:

1) Any idea why it’s quoting me $180 extra?
2) if I cancel the booking will the full surcharge and taxes be refunded?
3) if I cancel how long till miles are redeposited in skyward account.

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by proscale

I cannot make that date so tried to change, the website asked to pay an additional $180~ in taxes. The taxes and fees on my original booking is same as on the new date.

So 3 questions:

Thanks
Looks like the person who would usually answer this has been a naughty boy.

I am pretty sure if you are booked on a flex plus ticket then you do not attract any refund fees in any fare class.

Why dont you try and change the booking over the phone and query the call centre if the same fee shows up?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold

So 3 questions:

Thanks
EKs poor IT.

phone up and find out what is going on - is the $180:definitely taxes and not a fare difference?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:16 pm

So 3 questions:

Thanks
So quick update:
Called up emirates, turns out the additional $180 on change are Indian GST taxes that are levied and there is no way to avoid them.
A flex plus award is fully refundable, 100% taxes and fees.
The rep suggested cancelling current flight and re-booking.
Cancelled current flight via their archaic form ( What year is this? ), even phone agents cannot cancel booking.
Miles were redeposited within 8 hours. Got an email confirming full refund in 3 biz days.

Hope it helps someone.
Dambus likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by xobile
Trying to burn off 4000 miles that are expiring at the end of the month and just found out the High Street was closed on February 1. I know they were never the best redemption rates but getting something is better than nothing. Got a few Macy's gift cards that way, for instance. Now there is really nothing I can do with these miles, other than book a ticket to an Australian Rugby game. Even if I want a 50 AED/14 USD Magruders book shop voucher, I have to pay $15 in order to get the 1000 miles I would need to get the 5000 mile cost. If I want to donate them, I can only do it in 2500 mile increments. Ridiculous.
Semi update: Used 4500 expiring miles in another account to buy a 25 USD Careem voucher that I gave to a relative in the UAE. Something better than nothing..
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by gbenrus25
Question guys,

Is it possible to get a stopover and still get the saver rate with an award redemption or is the saver rate only available for round trip with no stopover? We're going to Maldives and would like to spend a few days in Dubai on the way back but the rate jumps higher if we use multi-city booking to add a stopover.

Thansk
Hey guys, does anyone have any idea on the above please? Would like to book a trip to MLE and spend some days in Dubai and Business Saver award tickets are available for a round-trip ticket. However, the rate changes to the Business Flex Plus rate if I switch to multi-city. Any way to get around that?

Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Hey guys, does anyone have any idea on the above please? Would like to book a trip to MLE and spend some days in Dubai and Business Saver award tickets are available for a round-trip ticket. However, the rate changes to the Business Flex Plus rate if I switch to multi-city. Any way to get around that?

Thanks
Depends on the POS and OD pair - you can find this in the fare rules on expertflyer. Stopovers are often limited by time spent on stopover location, you may have exceeded this duration. If allowed, you'll see a price difference over a direct itinerary of about 30usd (airport taxes) plus any stopover charge.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Depends on the POS and OD pair - you can find this in the fare rules on expertflyer. Stopovers are often limited by time spent on stopover location, you may have exceeded this duration. If allowed, you'll see a price difference over a direct itinerary of about 30usd (airport taxes) plus any stopover charge.
Thanks. I'm referring to award flights though. I'm flying from Boston To Male via Dubai and wanted to spend a day or 2 in Dubai. What's interesting is even if I choose to only spend a few hours in Dubai, the miles required change from business saver to business flex.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thanks. I'm referring to award flights though. I'm flying from Boston To Male via Dubai and wanted to spend a day or 2 in Dubai. What's interesting is even if I choose to only spend a few hours in Dubai, the miles required change from business saver to business flex.
That's probably because there isn't any saver availability on the second flight. You can have one stopover on a Saver Reward, but there needs to be saver availability on both flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.